Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck Hockey League
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2022, 03:11 PM   #1
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default NHL vs CPHL draft re-caps 2022

The Ducks had quite the ride leading up to the 2022 NHL Draft last night.

Heading into the eve of the CPHL Draft, we had Pick 9 and 19. We decided to roll the dice a bit and make a trade with the Sharks, swapping Pick 9 for 16, 28 and 49 giving us more ammo. We then traded from 16 to 13 paying a bit of a steep price, but wanting to get our guy.

Draft day we took:
  • Kevin Korchinski - CPHL Pick 13th. NHL Pick 7th to Hawks
  • Brad Lambert - CPHL Pick 19th. NHL Pick 30th to Jets
  • Isaac Howard - CPHL Pick 28th. NHL Pick 31st to Lightning
  • Filip Bystedt - CPHL Pick 49th. NHL Pick 27th to Sharks

We then traded Jack Hughes in a bit of a gamble, getting Hischier, Slafkowsky and C. Lucius (18th pick last year, Jets property) in return.

Taking on Friedman's 32 thoughts, below are a few of mine (not 32 haha) compiled from the last few days of draft frenzy:
  • Slafkowsky ended up going 1st overall to the Habs where he should fit in really well with Suzuki and Caufield. I thought he would go #1 or #2 and was pleasantly surprised to see him as 1st overall
  • If Slaf can become a Rantanen or 30% of a Jagr, I would be thrilled. His highlight package is one that NHL GM's drool over.
  • The Ducks in the last year have had all the 1st overall picks since 2014 on our squad at different times except for Matthews. We currently have Hischier, Power, Ekblad and now Slafkowsky. We traded Dahlin about a year and a half ago, McDavid about a year and a half ago and J. Hughes recently.
  • I (shockingly) have a few GM's inquiring about Slaf. I'm not jumping up and down to move him yet as we have Free Agency and some other priorities, but am open to discussing
  • The gamble with the Sharks that one of my guys would fall paid off (Korchinski and mystery man), landing me 2 extra 1st round picks and I got a guy who ended up going 7th overall.
  • Lambert fell, but I wasn't overly surprised. I like he's with the Jets as they have some good young forwards. Very curious to see his development.
  • Lambert doesn't have a European contract which I thought was a good move by him. It let's the NHL team direct his development. His CHL rights are currently held by the Seattle Thunderbirds. I suspect he comes to the WHL and plays with the Thunderbirds where the Jets can watch his development more closely
  • If Lambert does come over, Lambert and Korchinksi will be teammates
  • It's almost more important the NHL team that ends up taking the player versus the spot they get picked in terms of development and needs of the team. Even though we use the rankings to gauge the value of the player.
  • Bystedt was a surprise in the 1st round. I liked his upside but thought he'd be picked in early to mid 2nd round. The Sharks are doing a bit of a re-build so I like his landing spot
  • Isaac Howard's outfit last night was terrible. His interview after he got drafted included him saying he was the best-looking guy at the draft. Insert facepalm here. He definitely has that goal-scorer's confidence. Will see if it translates to the pros, and hoping the Lightning can continue their success of developing undersized but highly skilled forwards.
  • All in all, the Ducks went in with 2 1st round picks and came out with 5 1st round selections in the NHL Draft. That's a good haul.
  • There weren't nearly as many surprises in the 1st Round of the NHL as 'draft experts' expected. Outside of Rinzel, Bystedt and the 'big oaf' as Jiri says, it was fairly normal
  • The Russian factor impacted Yurov. The Wild picking him up where he did is a great move. Especially as they have Kaprizov, so they know how to deal with Russians.
  • The draft is easily my favourite part of the CPHL. I'm glad we chose to do the draft before Bob MacKenzie's rankings came out. The timing of the CPHL draft and NHL draft in terms of spacing was really good this year. It gave enough time to make some deals and create some excitement.
Old 07-08-2022, 03:12 PM   #2
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ducks ^^^^^^^^^^^^ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2022, 03:14 PM   #3
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon31 LA Kings

CPHL Draft # 48 NHL Draft # 109 (Columbus Blue Jackets) - Kirill Dolzhenkov RW

IMO opinion, Jarmo is excellent at drafting value. This guy is pocket-Slafkovsky (although standing 4 inches taller). Plays a similar game to the #1 pick, but without the explosiveness. Although he dropped a lot from where I got him, there is so much potential to pop with this guy.

DOWN 61

CPHL Draft # 57 NHL Draft # 32 (Edmonton Oilers) - Reid Schaefer LW

I like this player, but not as much now that his development will be blunted with Oiler stink. Hard working, high IQ and coachable. Oilers got a good one here.

UP 25

CPHL Draft # 58 NHL Draft # 79 (Vegas Golden Knights) - Jordan Gustafson C

Vegas traded up to get him, and the reason is probably that he is easily projectable. He plays in all situations, is dependable, and has no fault to his game to go along with nothing outstanding. Every team needs player to PK and solidify a bottom six, and here's that guy. 69-70 OVR guy of the future, year in and year out. I am neither thrilled nor disappointed.

DOWN 21

CPHL Draft # 63 NHL Draft # 156 (Carolina Hurricanes) - Vladimir Grudinin D
One pick after the Flames pick at 155. The only deficiency in this guys game is that he doesn't have enough strength training. If he played in North America, this would already be solved and this player would be a first rounder. I'm very high on this player, and Carolina is the best drafting team in the league at drafting risk/reward.

DOWN 93

CPHL Draft # 73 NHL Draft #69 (Philly Flyers) - Devin Kaplan RW

Going the NCAA route, and the only plan is to work on his skating. Everything else is projecting towards seeing NHL time. I think that he makes the show, but who knows what kind of a player he is? The Flyers surely don't.

UP 4

SUMMARY - All in all, NHL scouts and GMs clearly suck, and the CPHL process is too far advanced for their little minds to process.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:11 PM   #4
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

D Tristan Luneau (Gatineau/QMJHL) - CPHL: #30 / NHL: #53 (ANA) / +23
D Seamus Casey (USNTDP/USHL) - CPHL: #40 / NHL: #46 (NJ) / +6
C Adam Ingram (Youngstown/USHL) - CPHL: #54 / NHL: #82 (NSH) / +28
R Vinzenz Rohrer (Ottawa/OHL) - CPHL: #69 / NHL: #75 (MTL) / +6

Overagers:
L Michael Milne (Winnipeg/WHL) - NHL: #89 (MIN)
C Tucker Robertson (Peterborough/OHL) - NHL: #123 (SEA)
D Graham Sward (Spokane/WHL) - NHL: #146 (NSH)

L Eric Alarie (Moose Jaw/WHL) - NHL: undrafted
L Stuart Rolofs (Oshawa/OHL) - NHL: undrafted

Summary: well, that could have gone smoother (and that'll be on my gravestone). Luneau and Ingram fell quite a bit, but I do like their respective landing spots. Casey and Rohrer went pretty close to where I picked them, but still, not a great draft for me in terms of +/-. I take solace in the fact that three of my overagers were picked ... Milne went a lot higher than I thought he would, so that's a positive. Thought Robertson would go in the 3rd instead, but it's fine. I like the landing spot for Sward too.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 04:59 AM   #5
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Moves:

Name: CPHL / NHL / +/-
Joakim Kemmel / 6 / 17 / -11
Frank Nazar / 9 / 13 / -4
Noah Ostlund / 10 / 16 / -6
Marco Kasper / 11 / 8 / +3
Christian Kyrou / 59 / 50 / +9 (traded to Carolina)
Michael Fisher / 61 / 76 / -15
Hunter Haight / 66 / 47 / +19
Nick Moldenhauer / 71 / 95 / -24
Kasper Kulonummi / 76 / 84 / -8

Post Draft Moves

Name: CPHL / NHL / +/-
Maveric Lamoureux / 62 / 29 / +33 (acquired from Wild)
Filip Mesar / 33 / 26 / +7 (acquired from Wild)
Ryan Greene / 86 / 57 / +29 (acquired from Hurricanes)

Our first draft in 5 years and we didn't do too hot but I think we still came away with some excellent prospects. Kemmel was a surprise dropping way down in the 1st, didn't see that coming but for the most part everyone was drafted in the same range we thought they would be and everyone we took went in the round we thought they would.

We traded Meier to Grant between the CPHL and NHL drafts thinking we might get lucky and snag at least one guy that goes in the 1st from him in the deal. To our surprise in addition to finally getting NL's own and Avs Stanley Cup Champ Alex Newhook, we picked out two prospects from his pool of talent he was willing to let go and they both went in the first round: Filip Mesar and THE BIG OAF Maveric Lamoureux

Next, we saw that another NL native, Ryan Greene, was drafted in the 2nd round in the NHL, much better than he went in the CPHL draft and made a quick deal with Carolina to bring him on board in exchange for Christian Kyrou. Nice drafting Doug!

The Sharks had no ECHL prospects when the season wrapped up and now we feel really good about our prospect depth and also still very happy where our CPHL team is heading into Free Agency.

Last edited by MJK; 07-14-2022 at 05:20 AM.
MJK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post: