Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2022, 03:30 PM   #41
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

This is the straw that broke the camels back for me. The last time they had an extended outage it cost us business, today it likely cost us a few thousand in lost oppurtunity.

I called Telus, $95 a month for 50G unlimited, with visual VM and Canada US roaming/LD. The second the MyRogers App is up, I'm porting over to Telus.

25 years with Rogers in some fashion going back to the Cantel days, then Fido and Rogers for the last 15 or so. I can understand 20 mins...an hour.

10 hours is simply unnacceptable, twice, in the span of a year.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 03:41 PM   #42
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

You now whats weird...

And maybe its not weird and I don't understand cell service. I am a Rogers customer but I am in the states. When Im here I connect to whatever service is here and pay Rogers an extra fee. If I am not using Roger's towers in the states then why the F is my phone service down here?

My phone shows T-mobile and LTE with full bars but my phone won't make calls or do anything that requires cellular data.
Old 07-08-2022, 03:48 PM   #43
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

This isn't going to be a quick one. Rogers pretty much did the exact same thing that Facebook did a few months ago when they were down for a day. The difference is that Rogers is the actual network provider.

I think the biggest question mark, is how is such an important financial infrastructure company like Interac have both their main and backup connections with the same network provider?

This shows how monopolies make us incredibly vulnerable, in an age where we are so dependent on the internet for even things like 911.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 03:51 PM   #44
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
You now whats weird...

And maybe its not weird and I don't understand cell service. I am a Rogers customer but I am in the states. When Im here I connect to whatever service is here and pay Rogers an extra fee. If I am not using Roger's towers in the states then why the F is my phone service down here?

My phone shows T-mobile and LTE with full bars but my phone won't make calls or do anything that requires cellular data.
You have a Rogers sim card. You communicate to those cell towers after those telecom providers confirm Rogers as a service and allows you access.

Rogers literally does not exist on the internet right now. So you cannot be authenticated as a legitimate user.

https://radar.cloudflare.com/asn/812...=last_24_hours
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 03:52 PM   #45
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

My wife is on a road trip with the kids in the States and has no service either. I obviously don’t know how this works either because I thought if they weren’t connected a River network they’d be fine.

Thankfully I told her before she left the hotel wifi so she could download the map to her next destination.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #46
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Someone posted this:

It's timelapse over an 11 hour window showing rogers losing connection to all external peer routers one by one.

Someone on reddit posted this:

Quote:
All of Roger's border routers stopped advertising to the Internet, so none of their IP space is able to route to the Internet. The routers use a protocol called "BGP" to talk with other routers. These routers are where the fiber circuits end up being physically plugged into, connecting Roger's network to the other providers/exchanges.

Why that happened is to be determined. Either human error during a normal update, a rogue employee that wanted to cause damage, or hacked.

Since it's taking so long to fix, I'm assuming network engineers are needing to get physical access to their main routers to restore service. But if someone hacked them and changed access codes, they may be resetting everything to default and restoring from backups. What if the backups of the config files were compromised as well? Then they are starting over by hand, which will take a long time.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the war room right now!
Interesting that the mediation between the competition bureau and Rogers/Shaw's proposed merger failed earlier this week. This outage hammers home why the merger would be bad news.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:04 PM   #47
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

For users in the states with Rogers, and absolutely need to be able to make calls, the best option is likely a pay sim card, or to use any wifi around (whatsapp can be used for calls).

There is no garantee of such an outage being fixed soon. Facebook had a similar outage and their outage was around 6 hours, but as this is an actual telecom provider, this may take significantly longer to resolve. Could be one extra hour, could be days depending on just how involved the rebuilding and reconfiguring the routers are.

https://socprime.com/blog/what-is-bg...%20unreachable.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:05 PM   #48
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^That video is remarkably unsettling to watch.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:12 PM   #49
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This interview posted on twitter definitely doesn't give you the warm fuzzies

https://twitter.com/user/status/1545512971878662145
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:14 PM   #50
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Someone posted this:

It's timelapse over an 11 hour window showing rogers losing connection to all external peer routers one by one.

Someone on reddit posted this:

Interesting that the mediation between the competition bureau and Rogers/Shaw's proposed merger failed earlier this week. This outage hammers home why the merger would be bad news.
Yet this thread is in the off topic off topic tech forum. Should be exported to the main off topic forum.

It has effected millions of people today.

I think it is the topic of the day.

Should a Shaw Rogers merger be allowed? We are witnessing why it should not be. We are witnessing why our major banking systems should not be relying on one provider.

Seriously someone in the government should step in and ask how does this happen?

The longer this issue persists the more heads will roll and I love that.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chubeyr1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 04:19 PM   #51
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I got service for about 3 minutes, about 15 texts came through..... then blank again.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:37 PM   #52
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

New memo on those in the future who try to mess with Canada:

1) Hack or interfere with their 3 telecommunications companies and watch the entire country crumble
FlameyMcFlameFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:47 PM   #53
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
This is the straw that broke the camels back for me. The last time they had an extended outage it cost us business, today it likely cost us a few thousand in lost oppurtunity.

I called Telus, $95 a month for 50G unlimited, with visual VM and Canada US roaming/LD. The second the MyRogers App is up, I'm porting over to Telus.

25 years with Rogers in some fashion going back to the Cantel days, then Fido and Rogers for the last 15 or so. I can understand 20 mins...an hour.

10 hours is simply unnacceptable, twice, in the span of a year.
Im curious if Rogers will offer you some crazy deal to stay? Keep us in the know!
FlameyMcFlameFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:03 PM   #54
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameyMcFlameFace View Post
New memo on those in the future who try to mess with Canada:

1) Hack or interfere with their 3 telecommunications companies and watch the entire country crumble
Hack 3?

We dont even know if they hacked 1. Yet one took down the country. That can be human error too.

I am so waiting for the excuses why this happened.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:18 PM   #55
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Im curious if Rogers will offer you some crazy deal to stay? Keep us in the know!
Telus is offering crazy deals right now. Using this to their advantage.

I hate Telus with every fiber of my being.

That said they are using this to get customers and I do not blame them.

Interac Rogers the Canadian Government, massive fail here.

Will our PM speak on this?

Is it time for the Emergency Powers Act again? I could actually support that right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to chubeyr1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 05:21 PM   #56
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
There is nothing they could offer me at this point. I buy inventory for our dealership, and when a car is available, I get text messages from numerous other dealers wholesalers etc, and it happens fast.... And it goes out to numerous parties. Unless they are on iMessage, and on a wifi connection, I won't get messages. We don't communicate with each other on FB messenger, whatsapp etc.... straight up text. Too many people involved to be in random messaging services, the one constant everyone has is text/sms.

I've got sales people working from home, unable to communicate with customers as they are now invisible to reply to customers. Some of those clients may buy elsewhere now.

When you basically go invisible, and the Telus/Bell guys are the only ones getting to bid, that's a big problem. Most of us are on Rogers here, and the few Telus guys are fine, and never have these massive issues.

I almost pulled the chute on the last outage, but stayed. I cannot risk losing thousands of dollars in revenue for my employer and the people that sign my paycheque because Rogers gives me a free phone or some stupid cheap plan. A cheap plan is worthless if it costs me 10-20k in revenue a day a year.

Rogers has impacted my livelihood... twice now in about the span of a year. It's time for me to impact their livelihoods by moving to a reliable carrier. Just sitting back and being ok with this doesn't send a message for them to improve their reliability. There comes a point where you can't buy your way out of garbage service with free crap.
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 05:28 PM   #57
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

A buddy of mines wife is a manager at McDonald’s, she told him they probably lost 15k in sales so far today, that’s one restaurant.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:39 PM   #58
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So their cell and internet service is about on par with the quality of their hockey broadcasts.

The 'Oligopoly' discussion has been interesting, but this is why you have to have competition and alternatives.

If they dont feel the pinch of this, the way their customers have, then what is their incentive to change and improve?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:49 PM   #59
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wandering here... I'm now curious how many consumers use Interac vs credit cards vs cash for purchases. I use my credit card for just about everything, and know a lot of my friends/family do the same to play the points game. I'm going out in a few minutes, bur I'll try and remember to see if that info's been tracked when i get home.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:53 PM   #60
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can't even access my most basic of banking information due to the outage (CIBC)
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote