Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-31-2022, 08:44 PM   #1
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2022 Toronto Raptors Off-season Thread

Just came across some rumors of the Raps could be involved with Utah for Gobert, involving Anunoby. I don't know what to think of OG. One minute he had a very high ceiling, and seemed to be mentally strong, but after he had injuries it seemed the Raps put him off to the side and there wasn't that much talk about him. Hype died and he lost his confidence. Like any trade it all depends on what the return is. If it's a top 5 pick, why not, but if it's a similar prospect, naa, I'd rather keep him. Gobert, I'm unsure about.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/rap...164327206.html
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:06 PM   #2
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a straight basketball trade getting Gobert makes some sense, they still need a true big man. But he's on a max so from a cap perspective it makes no sense at all. And he isn't a superstar, he's an elite defender without a doubt, but we all know this team needs a guy who can create his own shot. I'd rather save every asset we can to chase that, but I also will reiterate I want to give Scottie the chance to be that guy first.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:57 PM   #3
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way I look at it Scottie doesn't have the dribble and quickness to make his own shot as a true superstar, right now at least. He's shown enough in a short period of time he's a hard worker so this season could surprise everyone with what he comes back with. Agree completely about saving assets for a scorer. It's needed sorely.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:57 PM   #4
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is standard American NBA media offseason nonsense where Raptors fans (or players) are not a constituent of their business so they can write whatever easy click generating crap they want without even having to consider whether it makes any sense or who it harms. The Raptors wouldn't trade OG for Gobert straight up, given the respective ages and salary demands of the players. It's a non starter and there's no obvious fit.

I do see a fit for Ayton, however, and that would involve moving significant assets.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 11:29 AM   #5
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty skeptical about Gobert to Toronto being anything but ill-informed speculation.

I see Toronto trade targets as being two things: either a Kawhi-like move that makes them a contender right now, or an asset management move that gives them a longer window by trading a current core player for multiple good young assets. Gobert isn't good enough to make them a contender on his own, and he's too old to be a window-extending trade. It's also really tough to make the money work... couldn't be just OG... would have to be something like OG+GTJ, or OG+Birch+Precious+Flynn+Svi.

But also, I think he's just a bad fit in Toronto... ruins the highly switchable, versatile defensive approach they've run, and offensively needs P&R to be effective offensively, when the Raptors have a distinct lack of P&R creators (though they should really work on that and try and get more P&R, but they already have enough P&R finishers on the roster).

I think it's going to be a quiet offseason for the Raptors. Maybe get another 2nd-round draft pick, sign a scoring wing or guard for the bench with the MLE.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:41 AM   #6
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Keep OG, a big man who can hit the 3s and defend. I want him on this team all day every day.
kobasew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:58 AM   #7
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is a must read offseason primer for anyone interested in what is realistically possible for the Raps this summer (outside of a trade). Tons of good info.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article...e-big-picture/
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 12:07 PM   #8
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
This is a must read offseason primer for anyone interested in what is realistically possible for the Raps this summer (outside of a trade). Tons of good info.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article...e-big-picture/

NBA salaries are so complex when compared with the NHL...
kobasew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kobasew19 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 03:39 PM   #9
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see why the Raptors were comfortable trading out of the first round. It really seems like outside of the lottery there's a very large tier of guys around the same level, prospect-wise. Some guys who are in the mid-20s in one mock draft and mid-40s in another.

There's been various rumours about the Raptors looking to trade into the lottery as well, with all of the Kings/Trailblazers/Knicks/Wizards mentioned as possible trade partners. Unless it's for #4, I'm not sure there are prospects worth moving one of the core for.
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2022, 05:50 AM   #10
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read Lebron commented last night he would like to play for Golden State. I know it’s being honest and all but the guys own pressure with Rich Paul behind the scenes have put his own Lakers on n a terrible position for years to come, and he has the audacity to say that? For all of his athleticism, I’m not sure if there is a more selfish two faced superstar in any sport. Nothing is ever his fault.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:18 AM   #11
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@TheNBACentral:
“I’ve been hearing since March that OG Anunoby has been dissatisfied with his role in Toronto. And I mean, there’s a lot of guys dissatisfied with their roles in Toronto.”😯

- @JakeLFischer

(Via Dunc’d on Basketball | h/t HoopsHype

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:44 PM   #12
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't surprise me if the tweet was true. On one half if you're not so good a player, certainly the win by committee is great as you get more minutes than a top heavy team. But if you're a good player you also play less minutes than some other teams. We know Flynn has been unhappy, and with the injuries and turnover, could see FVV as being generally frustrated. Could be a lot based on certain circumstances but I can't see a revolt and mass disgust.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:25 PM   #13
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

If OG does want out, I think the demand would be high enough that the Raptors cold get a great return. The 4th pick and Harrison Barnes, or the 7th and Nasser Little, Kuminga and Wiseman all make sense for those teams as starting points, and with enough teams in the mix the price will go up.

That said, I expect this is like the Siakam situation last year where it’s maybe one small thing blown out of proportion.
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 09:25 AM   #14
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Nm
Old 06-20-2022, 09:27 AM   #15
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Didn’t want to start a new thread so I’ll just put this in here:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1538873230534090755
Old 06-20-2022, 04:41 PM   #16
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Didn’t want to start a new thread so I’ll just put this in here:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1538873230534090755
I guess some teams will look at this as a Kawhi situation where they have to take a chance and go for the guy but it’s obviously different. The guy is a world class talent but has no devotion to be a champion player. His head is on other worldly issues which isn’t wrong, it’s just not how I’d spend my money on if I’m an owner. Any team who signs him to a long term deal will show how dumb they are. Really hoping it’s one of the two above.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 08:52 PM   #17
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back on the Anunoby rumors, I now believe the Raps are exploring things, but as other have pointed out the chances of a deal seem relatively small. The recent rumor of Portland's 7th overall doesn't seem like a good deal at all. Admittedly this upcoming season is a must coming out party for Anunoby, so the Raptors are taking a chance on keeping him this year. If he doesn't develop to his potential this year his value drops significantly in my mind. Raps really have to work with him to get to the next level, as was his ceiling pre-injuries.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:28 PM   #18
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it’s partly on who’s available at 7, and who the front office likes. If they think someone like Sharpe is a superstar prospect and he’s on the board, I could see them doing it. If they can get Little (as well as Hart for matching) that’s not a huge step backwards right now. Again, still skeptical that there’s a deal there, but if there is, it’s probably a ‘if player X is available, we do it, otherwise we don’t’ thing.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:53 AM   #19
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If OG is to be traded I'd rather get depth pieces, which are clearly and desperately needed. Or as part of a package for a star. But just for a pick? Even with full faith in Masai and all that, that is the kind of move you make to win 2-3 years from now. Would be kinda odd, East is gonna be weak and open again next year.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:13 PM   #20
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

The Nets are imploding right in front of our eyes. KD should’ve just stayed in Golden State

https://twitter.com/user/status/1540064142555496452

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 06-23-2022 at 05:25 PM.
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote