Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2022, 02:48 PM   #4541
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yeah, I got midway through the 3rd episode and had to give up because found it completely uninteresting.

The main actor's line delivery makes me cringe.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:55 PM   #4542
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll reserve judgment until I see it but there's just no way it can come close to doing the GN justice. It's simply not translatable to another medium.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:03 PM   #4543
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yeah, I feel bad criticizing it because it seems like a property people really like, and overall fans of the comic seem to love the Netflix series so far. I understand that feeling when something cherished is brought to life and it lives up to your expectations.

But without having even heard of the comics, the series is downright painful to watch for me.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:04 PM   #4544
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone else find the aspect ratio on Sandman off?

At first I thought maybe it was my TV settings, but doesn't appear to be so?
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:07 PM   #4545
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm intrigued by Sandman and I'm going to start it shortly but I'm going in cold and blind.

I know nothing about the characters, the story, the world, nothing. I'll be taking everything at face value.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:27 PM   #4546
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Also, to add to the speculation. This could also be due to Affleck coming back as Batman. It sounds like they are re-shooting the Flash, to get rid of Keaton (or diminish his role) and replace it with Bat-Fleck. This could mean they axed Batgirl to get rid of Keaton's character. A shame....as Keaton Batman would have been awesome to see. However, I can see how it would have made things very complicated with Affleck coming back.
Woo boy...Ezra Miller...

Quote:
An increasingly paranoid Ezra Miller has taken to wearing bulletproof body armor and carrying at least one gun almost everywhere they go, according to a new report from Insider that traces a timeline of Miller’s activities and finds a disturbing pattern: They establish a home base, financially support artists and young women, and then attempt to control and manipulate their sexual partners, causing one of their alleged victims to compare the practice to a cult.

Miller allegedly believes that they are being followed by the FBI and Ku Klux Klan, the former because multiple parents and young people have accused the actor of grooming minors, and the latter because Miller released a video earlier this year demanding that members of the KKK kill themselves.
https://consequence.net/2022/08/ezra...n-cult-leader/

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-06-2022, 04:11 PM   #4547
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't see how the Flash movie gets released with Miller in it. They need to recast and reshoot all of Barry's scenes.

I found it interesting that in the Shazam trailer, they show Momoa and Batfleck, but the shots of The Flash are all framed so you can't see his face.

DC/WB have to know there's no way to salvage it with Miller as the star.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:23 PM   #4548
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yeah, I don't see how the Flash movie gets released with Miller in it. They need to recast and reshoot all of Barry's scenes.

I found it interesting that in the Shazam trailer, they show Momoa and Batfleck, but the shots of The Flash are all framed so you can't see his face.

DC/WB have to know there's no way to salvage it with Miller as the star.
Thats gotta be a huge chunk of the movie. If they did that there is no way this movie makes money.

Granted, at this point I cant see any way this movie makes money regardless. Anyone know where they're at with budget? They started at $200M. They've got to be way, way over that by now and to re-shoot a substantial chunk of it paying another actor?

People love the Flash, but do they love the Flash this much?

At the moment the soundtrack of this film is an 'Al Bundy-esque' flushing sound.

Old 08-06-2022, 05:04 PM   #4549
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wasn't there a scenario recently where a movie was entirely reshot/reedited/re-something to replace an actor or at least his face?

edit: ah yes, All the Money in the World to replace Kevin Spacey. I wonder if The Flash could go that route
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:55 PM   #4550
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Back to the future was re-shot because Eric Stoltz was orignally cast and it didn't turn out. They got Michael J Fox and had to reshoot. They also had to replace his girlfriend because the original actress was no too tall. I don't think they did the full movie though with Stoltz.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:21 PM   #4551
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Back to the future was re-shot because Eric Stoltz was orignally cast and it didn't turn out. They got Michael J Fox and had to reshoot. They also had to replace his girlfriend because the original actress was no too tall. I don't think they did the full movie though with Stoltz.
No, my recollection was that it was something around a third of the film. But still, Marty is in almost every scene, thats a lot of re-shoots.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:18 PM   #4552
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm intrigued by Sandman and I'm going to start it shortly but I'm going in cold and blind.

I know nothing about the characters, the story, the world, nothing. I'll be taking everything at face value.
This is just such a lost opportunity. I cannot imagine not reading the GNs first. Same goes for the audio book version. It's just so much better being able to think about how it looks on the page.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:12 PM   #4553
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Wasn't there a scenario recently where a movie was entirely reshot/reedited/re-something to replace an actor or at least his face?

edit: ah yes, All the Money in the World to replace Kevin Spacey. I wonder if The Flash could go that route
Also, Army of the Dead completely replaced Chris D'Elia with Tig Notaro after accusations against him were made when the film was in post-production.

I assume replacing Miller wouldn't be as hard as replacing Spacey or D'Elia because a lot of the movie is likely Flash in costume with either stunt doubles or digital doubles, so those wouldn't need to be reshot, except maybe some face replacement, which is relatively simple now. Also, based on the teaser trailer, there are going to be a lot of scenes with multiple Barrys on screen, so they would have needed to shoot those scenes with a lot of clean plates and green screen shots already, which should make swapping out the actors a little easier.

At this point, releasing the film with Miller as the star has to be untenable, so their options are to either recast/reshoot or scrap it completely. Reshoots might be expensive, but at least they can get a releasable movie out of it.

I wonder if productions can get insurance for those sorts of things, if the star of a movie dies or goes off the deep end in the middle of production or post and things need to be reshot to fix it?
Old 08-06-2022, 11:30 PM   #4554
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wife and her friends we’re talking about how bad Ezra Miller was on the set of the Stand. I can’t see any way they release the Flash with him in it. I can’t see how even works again. Perfect example of money being put over the wellbeing of staff.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus had to do reshoots after Ledger passed away. I think they were only a month into it though.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:00 AM   #4555
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62473652

Beginning to look like some pretty serious mental health issues. It'll be interesting to see how hollywood deals with this. It doesn't sound like a straight "Me Too" type issue, where you have an abuser who should be blacklisted. It may be more of a genuine illness.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:37 AM   #4556
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The Flash movie has to be a write-off at this point. Maybe direct to HBO Max but they won't be doing any promotion for it with the star being completely off the rails. Even then the backlash would be untenable for WB.

I think things only get worse for Ezra. Hopefully the mother and 2 kids he's harbouring are able to get out before something worse happens.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:59 AM   #4557
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
For the record Claudia Wells—who did end up playing Jennifer—was the first choice and was originally cast. She had to withdraw from the movie because she was contractually obligated to do a TV pilot or two, which clashed with the film schedule.

When Wells left the producers hired Melora Hardin (daughter of actor Jerry Hardin, maybe best remembered as 'Deep Throat' on The X-Files) to replace her. However, Hardin never actually shot any scenes for the movie by the time Stoltz was let go and replaced with Fox, and yes, she was let go in part because she was about an inch taller than Fox.

That said, the producers also went right back to their original choice: Claudia Wells.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:00 AM   #4558
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Does anyone else find the aspect ratio on Sandman off?

At first I thought maybe it was my TV settings, but doesn't appear to be so?
I mentioned this in the TV show thread, but the cinematographer has Sam Raimi-itis; lots of stretched aspects, dutch angles, tight face shots.

I find with each episode passing it abates a bit more and gives way to better, more grandiose shots, but it's particularly bad in the first episode.

Still loving it however. The John Dee (David Thewles) arc in particular is really well rendered into a TV format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 03:46 PM   #4559
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
The Flash movie has to be a write-off at this point. Maybe direct to HBO Max but they won't be doing any promotion for it with the star being completely off the rails. Even then the backlash would be untenable for WB.

I think things only get worse for Ezra. Hopefully the mother and 2 kids he's harbouring are able to get out before something worse happens.
ok - this might be a dumb question (becuz i honestly don't follow hollywood stuff), but i remember watching a flash tv show 5 years ago? maybe 10 years ago? (i only saw the first couple seasons)
anyways - i thought the guy that played the flash was fine - why not approach him to play the same character in the movies?
Old 08-09-2022, 03:50 PM   #4560
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
ok - this might be a dumb question (becuz i honestly don't follow hollywood stuff), but i remember watching a flash tv show 5 years ago? maybe 10 years ago? (i only saw the first couple seasons)
anyways - i thought the guy that played the flash was fine - why not approach him to play the same character in the movies?
And they well might.

My understanding is that this movie is already years late, essentially done and significantly over-budget. Replacing the main character would take a huge amount of time and money and probably make profitability impossible.

Now they have negative publicity that they'd have to try and counter with an impressive (and expensive) marketing campaign? Would that even work?

Or do you just cut bait?