Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2022, 10:51 PM   #201
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbound View Post
I grew up there. It's gotten worse over the years. Wonderful place but I'd never move back as there are no jobs but I've seen quite a few people I graduated with slowly moving back now that they are starting to have families which is interesting
The charm is all but gone from the Okanagan. I remember growing up amongst apple and plum trees, walking to school through agricultural land and bar hoping with ne’er a care.

Hell, I remember when Leon was like one block of sketch and that was that. Penticton had a bit of a hidden problem, but it was nice, and Vernon was grungy Kelowna.

Man, it’s one of the more beautiful places in the canada but there’s so much that sucks about it. You have a better chance getting laced drugs and threatened for a cig than finding a decent meal after 10. Feels like the whole valley is in life support half the time.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:05 AM   #202
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Yes. These come out every now and then in BC. The fact that these need to go out, when the authorities are not dumb and do realize that some (maybe most) of these guys love the fame they get for "making the list" is a good indication of how dangerous it really is to be next to these guys at a table at a Starbucks.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1554926660536786946

It’s interesting how predominant this list is with those of Pakistani heritage. There’s obviously a lot of dealers and gangsters that are of Caucasian and Asian background, but just interesting where and when things started to go awry in that community (I know it’s still a small group within a large population).

My family and I used to go to the Okanagan annually for 10+ years (Penticton), and while I wouldn’t be hesitant to go back, the rise in crime is unfortunate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Language is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:39 AM   #203
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Language View Post
It’s interesting how predominant this list is with those of Pakistani heritage. There’s obviously a lot of dealers and gangsters that are of Caucasian and Asian background, but just interesting where and when things started to go awry in that community (I know it’s still a small group within a large population).

My family and I used to go to the Okanagan annually for 10+ years (Penticton), and while I wouldn’t be hesitant to go back, the rise in crime is unfortunate.

I think it just happens to coincide with the current wars happening in the Lower Mainland. During the wars between the Bacon brothers and everyone else, the faces would've been mostly white. And then in the late 90s, mostly Chinese/Vietnamese.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:51 AM   #204
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

To be accurate, based on names they a likely Sikhs from the Punjab region of India, not Pakistanis.

But yes, the latest round of violence seems to be affecting specific Punjabi families the worst. Those killings in Whistler involved the brother of a man who'd been killed a few months earlier.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
JD
Old 08-11-2022, 08:56 AM   #205
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon53

Quote:

Not Pakistani, Indian.
Punjabi, Indian particularly, its a massive issue in the community.
It has been going on for decades now, a lot of these kids weren't even born when the Bindy Johals etc were getting notorious for the same crap in the late 90s.

The pathetic thing is it's not like they're coming from the streets or a ghetto and find life of crime because they see no other options.
They're coming for middle class families and have no reason to go this way other than bravado.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 10:29 AM   #206
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There was another Gand shooting last weekend in Highway ####ing 1. On the highway driving. That's nuts. My wife got stuck in the traffic coming home from work.

As far as the DTES goes there is no easy solution but you have to start thinking about others at some point as well. The well being of workers, store owners and others living down there have to come into account as well. It is not safe down there and only getting worse. Maybe set aside a park farther out but they don't want that as the can't panhandle for money or steal or score quite as easily. It is a really bad situation with new clear solution.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:35 AM   #207
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Maybe set aside a park farther out but they don't want that as the can't panhandle for money or steal or score quite as easily.
I saw somewhere Vancouver is spending $40 million to buy land for several dozen drive-in/walk-in tent sites.

EDIT: A good ways away, likely not for the use that was indicated by OP above. Looks like a nice park but kinda wild place to pump money when you're ignoring the homeless and drug problems in the core of your city.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...n-bowen-island

Last edited by chemgear; 08-11-2022 at 10:44 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:38 AM   #208
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I saw somewhere Vancouver is spending $40 million to buy land for several dozen drive-in/walk-in tent sites.
Thoughts and prayers if you are neighbors next to this Tent nation.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:41 AM   #209
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
The charm is all but gone from the Okanagan. I remember growing up amongst apple and plum trees, walking to school through agricultural land and bar hoping with ne’er a care.

Hell, I remember when Leon was like one block of sketch and that was that. Penticton had a bit of a hidden problem, but it was nice, and Vernon was grungy Kelowna.

Man, it’s one of the more beautiful places in the canada but there’s so much that sucks about it. You have a better chance getting laced drugs and threatened for a cig than finding a decent meal after 10. Feels like the whole valley is in life support half the time.

And the lack of planning. It’s a pedestrian/cyclist nightmare

Not to mention Kelowna now has what is it the most homeless in Canada or the most per capita ?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:03 PM   #210
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
There was another Gand shooting last weekend in Highway ####ing 1. On the highway driving. That's nuts. My wife got stuck in the traffic coming home from work.
Doesn't seem the shooting was actually on the HWY.
It happened elsewhere and the driver was transporting the passenger to hospital but he died on route to the Burnaby hospital.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:09 PM   #211
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

EDIT: A good ways away, likely not for the use that was indicated by OP above. Looks like a nice park but kinda wild place to pump money when you're ignoring the homeless and drug problems in the core of your city.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...n-bowen-island
I'm getting District 9 vibes from this.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 02:12 PM   #212
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Happiness is relative to expectations. For individuals choosing to live in a big city, they're expecting it to positive for them (or would not make that choice). If you put the same individuals into a rural environment, they would likely be less happy. There are self-selection biases at play here - satisfied people stay put. Unsatisfied people look for more, but they don't always get it.
Moving to an entirely new city or country is a tough slog no matter where it is and it's going to take a while to start to feel like you've put down some roots. Someone says Vancouver is unfriendly - well any place other than where you just left is going to seem unfriendly until you've given it a fair shake for a year or two and really put yourself out there.

It isn't easy as an adult to make new and meaningful connections with others, even if you have a job and some degree of family present in the area with a network lined up that you can tap into.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:42 PM   #213
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The rise of south asian crime groups had its genesis in the Sikh independence movement in the 1980's, the Ross St Temple was a hotbed of terrorist planning, fugitives from the Punjab came to BC to blend into the community here while young Sikh men were recruited here to go and fight in Khalistan against the Ghandi led government, in order to procure arms for the struggle connections were made with crime groups in the US and the guns were paid for with heroin smuggled in from the Pushtan tribal areas and then eventually hydro grown weed from BC, the older guys were wholly committed to this as a political neccesity but the younger Canada born generation saw the money that could be made in the drug trade and took it up as just a way of making money in the mid 90's, the Sikh community has a few massive advantages in this, they dominate the trucking business so moving product is reletively easy and there are Sikh communities through out the west coast they can make contacts via
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 02:49 PM   #214
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The rise of south asian crime groups had its genesis in the Sikh independence movement in the 1980's, the Ross St Temple was a hotbed of terrorist planning, fugitives from the Punjab came to BC to blend into the community here while young Sikh men were recruited here to go and fight in Khalistan against the Ghandi led government, in order to procure arms for the struggle connections were made with crime groups in the US and the guns were paid for with heroin smuggled in from the Pushtan tribal areas and then eventually hydro grown weed from BC, the older guys were wholly committed to this as a political neccesity but the younger Canada born generation saw the money that could be made in the drug trade and took it up as just a way of making money in the mid 90's, the Sikh community has a few massive advantages in this, they dominate the trucking business so moving product is reletively easy and there are Sikh communities through out the west coast they can make contacts via
Did not know this - thank you for sharing!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 02:59 PM   #215
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

That's one crazy long sentence, took a bit for me to parse.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:04 PM   #216
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's one crazy long sentence, took a bit for me to parse.
sorry, I'm still half asleep, summer holidays are anything but a holiday if you look after teenage boys
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 03:39 PM   #217
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now BC is whining that they're not 'happy enough' and who are they going to blame for that?

They should redo this survey exclusively in Vancouver's DTES going from tent to tent and then see what the responses are like.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:41 PM   #218
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My mom was an ER nurse and got a first hand look at a lot of the gang violence in the city, she would often remark on how the south asian gangsters always had a lot of support from their families and communities.

You'd be surprised how often gangsters, in general, think they can go into the hospital to finish the job, but are quickly arrested every time.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:48 PM   #219
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
A lot of the gang activity and drug trafficking is still orchestrated by the Hell's Angels and people who control the ports.

Many of the major gangs in the GVRD are just groups of kids who met up in high school and started buying drugs in quantities large enough to redistribute.

At one point the large biker gangs were heavily involved in the fighting over territory. Now they're content to sit back and act as suppliers for the different local gangs all shooting each other. A lot of these gangs aren't getting their drug supplies from some deep connections into their ethnic communities, it's as simple as picking up kilos from the HA.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:54 PM   #220
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post

Old people paid millions to have a massive house on the lake where they go every weekend after stopping at the grocery store to stock up so they never have to leave the house besides a pleasure-craft tour.

These types provide zero to the overall vibe of a great city. There are almost zero good hotels (all over-priced) and a handful of good restaurants in a small and sketchy downtown that is dominated by chain restaurants
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world