Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2022, 09:09 PM   #1
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default New cord-cutting thread (for Flames games and Sports)

I know this has been discussed before, but information seems old, I want to start a new thread to ask for advice.

After finally being able to escape from the evil "service agreement" for my internet+TV service, I am thinking of cutting the cord once and for all.

Obviously I will get internet for my home (probably through a reseller like Oxio or TekSavvy), but we don't watch network television anymore as we stream through Amazon Prime, Netflix etc. I don't see a need to add a regular TV service anymore.

But I want to know how I can access Flames games and World Cup games legally. Any tips for me who is in Calgary?

Thank you in advance.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:46 PM   #2
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

With the end of NHL Live, you're stuck with Sportsnet Now as your choice to watch Flames games legally in Calgary. The streaming quality of Sportsnet Now is okay on a PC web browser, but it's available on lots of different devices with varying quality. I've been using an Nvidia Shield (Android TV) and it wasn't very good.

EDIT: To clarify, my issues on the Shield were inconsistent framerate (usually stuck at 30 fps, occasionally went to 60 fps), stuttering and buffering, and poor media controls (good luck rewinding and fast forwarding!)

Last edited by Mazrim; 08-10-2022 at 09:49 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:52 PM   #3
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Personally my suggestion is to get a shield or fire tv max and run Kodi with a debrid service (like real debrid or premiumize) you will have access to all tv shows and movies you like as well as all live sports at minimum 720p (all flames games were 1080p last year for me) and your looking at $4-$7 a month for the debrid service. I have been doing this for a few years. Before the ethical drama kicks it, it’s perfectly legal to stream tv shows and movies in Canada as long as you don’t download them.

Debrid services also prevent you from getting the magical legal letters from the copywrite holders
Old 08-10-2022, 09:57 PM   #4
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Personally my suggestion is to get a shield or fire tv max and run Kodi with a debrid service (like real debrid or premiumize) you will have access to all tv shows and movies you like as well as all live sports at minimum 720p (all flames games were 1080p last year for me) and your looking at $4-$7 a month for the debrid service. I have been doing this for a few years. Before the ethical drama kicks it, it’s perfectly legal to stream tv shows and movies in Canada as long as you don’t download them.

Debrid services also prevent you from getting the magical legal letters from the copywrite holders
I really fail to see how a service that provides all TV shows, movies and sports at $4-$7 could possibly be legal, let alone ethical, but I'm open to hearing more.

Sounds illegal as a layman, but I'd be curious to know if it's actually legal to use this service in Canada as the poster claims? It'd be like if I went to buy groceries and someone said "just buy them out of this warehouse in ogden, it's like $15-$20 for $150 worth of groceries and the police can't do ****!". I'd be skeptical for sure.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:15 PM   #5
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Pretty crazy that cable is still a rip off.

If I signed up for their feature $162/month cable internet "bundle" with Telus and choose the "Sportsnet" add with Crave and Netflix included I am still saving money if I just go with a $55/month internet plan and subscribe to Netflix, Crave, Fubo, DAZN, SN NOW Premium, Prime and Disney plus.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:38 PM   #6
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Streaming content is not illegal in Canada. Downloading is.

Is it a grey area, for sure.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:51 PM   #7
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Streaming content is not illegal in Canada. Downloading is.

Is it a grey area, for sure.
Is the streaming company breaking the law when they provide you the service?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:58 PM   #8
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
They would have to be, no?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:10 AM   #9
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Whoever is hosting the file would be breaking copyright laws. The service that finds them isn’t (it’s just google for media) and the service that streams them is not (again google for media).
Old 08-11-2022, 02:25 AM   #10
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Illegal streaming is the streaming of illicit copies of films or TV shows, or premium sports content, without the copyright owner's permission.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:45 PM   #11
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

How would someone go about getting that permission?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:55 PM   #12
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
How would someone go about getting that permission?
The streaming services pay for it.

As of right not it is not illegal to stream unlicensed content as long as you are not reproducing, redistributing or saving it to a media device. I would imagine this will change at some point in the future as the US and some European countries treat streaming the same as downloading.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:07 AM   #13
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I really fail to see how a service that provides all TV shows, movies and sports at $4-$7 could possibly be legal, let alone ethical, but I'm open to hearing more.

Sounds illegal as a layman, but I'd be curious to know if it's actually legal to use this service in Canada as the poster claims? It'd be like if I went to buy groceries and someone said "just buy them out of this warehouse in ogden, it's like $15-$20 for $150 worth of groceries and the police can't do ****!". I'd be skeptical for sure.
It’s only illegal if you eat them. If you just look at them in your kitchen it’s not illegal.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:58 AM   #14
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have sites, but not sure of policy to post. So DM if you are interested in full cord cutting. i haven't paid for anything outside of internet in 10 years.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 12:35 PM   #15
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey all.

I'm in a simular boat - we've just kinda "always had cable" but with streaming platforms, it's not used outside of me for sports. My kids look at lineal TV like I would look at an abacus.

I was looking at DZN for football but need to sort out NHL. With kids I typically watch Flames games after they have started, so for now I PVR them.

It's stupid to pay the amount I do for just Flames games, some football, and the odd other NHL game.

I'm fine paying for a good way to stream local and non local NHL. But reading these threads it feels like there isn't a good answer here (especially if I want to start my stream after the game has started).

Am I missing something? Any tips?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 12:54 PM   #16
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
I have sites, but not sure of policy to post. So DM if you are interested in full cord cutting. i haven't paid for anything outside of internet in 10 years.
Lucky for you that you have everyone else paying for the content you watch.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 01:05 PM   #17
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Lucky for you that you have everyone else paying for the content you watch.
Be mad at the companies making it increasingly more expensive and more difficult to watch, not sure what being snarky to someone who worked about the system accomplishes.

I work for an organization that in part streams linear TV (out east), they charge what they can get away with, not for the value it provides nor to help out humankind.

MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:22 PM   #18
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
Be mad at the companies making it increasingly more expensive and more difficult to watch, not sure what being snarky to someone who worked about the system accomplishes.

I work for an organization that in part streams linear TV (out east), they charge what they can get away with, not for the value it provides nor to help out humankind.

They charge a price that maximizes profit. That's what businesses do. If it's not worth the value to the customer, they won't pay.

I know sports can be a bit painful and not sure if you still need a bundle in Canada, but most other content is available in DTC streaming options that are fairly customer friendly.

People are going to do what they want and what they can get away with. But to proudly proclaim they watch all their content for free from illegal sources is basically saying they just want everyone else to pay for their content.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #19
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My experience lately is that the cable providers have made it so cheap to have it that it's not even worth cancelling. I pay 100 for Telus' internet/cable combo and the TV portion of it is $30. I doubt I'd be able to watch the Flames and other sports on offer for less than that.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elkyiv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 07:00 PM   #20
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I know this has been discussed before, but information seems old, I want to start a new thread to ask for advice.

After finally being able to escape from the evil "service agreement" for my internet+TV service, I am thinking of cutting the cord once and for all.

Obviously I will get internet for my home (probably through a reseller like Oxio or TekSavvy), but we don't watch network television anymore as we stream through Amazon Prime, Netflix etc. I don't see a need to add a regular TV service anymore.

But I want to know how I can access Flames games and World Cup games legally. Any tips for me who is in Calgary?

Thank you in advance.
Your legal options:
TSN will be broadcasting World Cup 2022 in Canada. TSN Go is $20/month
Sportsnet Now would give you most Flames games. Cost is $15/month.
As with all streaming services, you sub month to month and can cancel at any time.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote