Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2022, 08:20 AM   #861
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
The author’s name is S. Silver….
Sounds like Sliver. I demand answers.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:24 AM   #862
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1557153136657121280
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:25 AM   #863
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, well, good luck with that Brian. It's amazing watching themselves trip over themselves to out right flank the far right's ridiculous ideas. Each one nuttier than the one before! It's also scary knowing one of these incompetent clowns is going to lead our province in a few months.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 10:33 AM   #864
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post

I would love the senate to be fixed in the Constitution, as would most people of Albertan... but how ... like how can you make that part of your platform when running for election? Shouldn't your platform be about real issues facing the people of Alberta?

Quote:
To change the Constitution using the general formula, the change needs to be approved by 1) the federal Parliament, 2) the Senate, and 3) a minimum number of provincial legislatures. There must be at least seven provinces that approve the change, representing at least 50% of Canada’s population. This is often called the 7 + 50 rule.
Quebec alone has 23% of the population.
Undeserved provinces are:
  • Ontario
  • AB
  • BC
To help the argument, throw in Sask and MB because they might, might just agree to the change on principal despite they have extra representation, but I don't think you're getting your 7 provinces.

Note-Quebec actually has the right amount of senators if your doing based on population. Its the Maritimes that gets extra mainly.

I haven't followed him too closely lately, if this is just one of a few pipe dream ideas, fine I guess- dream big, but I don't get why anyone would care
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:46 AM   #865
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hand wringing about the senate is so silly. It's absolutely a flawed institution (though arguably not much more than parliament/legislatures at this point), but I can't think of a single time it has really failed us.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 10:48 AM   #866
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Hand wringing about the senate is so silly. It's absolutely a flawed institution (though arguably not much more than parliament/legislatures at this point), but I can't think of a single time it has really failed us.

I mean its easy to not fail us when it hardly does anything. Hasn't it failed us by not taking action in the past?
I can't think of a list of examples this second I admit
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:44 AM   #867
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Fun stuff from Toews over the past couple days
  • I fought for less covid restrictions at the cabinet table!
  • Conscience rights and will fight to allow healthcare workers to deny abortions
  • Marijuana is a gateway drug
  • Our own police force! Alberta CPP!
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:45 AM   #868
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I would love the senate to be fixed in the Constitution, as would most people of Albertan... but how ... like how can you make that part of your platform when running for election? Shouldn't your platform be about real issues facing the people of Alberta?

Quebec alone has 23% of the population.
Undeserved provinces are:
  • Ontario
  • AB
  • BC
To help the argument, throw in Sask and MB because they might, might just agree to the change on principal despite they have extra representation, but I don't think you're getting your 7 provinces.

Note-Quebec actually has the right amount of senators if your doing based on population. Its the Maritimes that gets extra mainly.

I haven't followed him too closely lately, if this is just one of a few pipe dream ideas, fine I guess- dream big, but I don't get why anyone would care
The UCP only wants to run against Ottawa. That is their winning issue. Ottawa and the East is screwing us poor Albertans and only we can save you.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 11:46 AM   #869
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Fun stuff from Toews over the past couple days
  • I fought for less covid restrictions at the cabinet table!
  • Conscience rights and will fight to allow healthcare workers to deny abortions
  • Marijuana is a gateway drug
  • Our own police force! Alberta CPP!
Are there any that aren't clowns, and understand science? What a pathetic bunch.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 11:49 AM   #870
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Alberta Politics & Government Thread 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
The UCP only wants to run against Ottawa. That is their winning issue. Ottawa and the East is screwing us poor Albertans and only we can save you.

Wonder what UCP would do if Pollievre (spelling?) were to become PM. Ottawa is too populist for AB? Or maybe not populist enough?
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:53 AM   #871
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Wonder what UCP would do if Pollievre (spelling?) were to become PM. Ottawa is too populist for AB? Or maybe not populist enough?
They'd probably start fighting amongst themselves and eventually split up again like they did when Harper was PM.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:32 PM   #872
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
"...under section 46 of the constitution and under paragraph 69..."

nice
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:22 PM   #873
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our persecution complex is so pathetic.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:05 PM   #874
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alberta is one of the most beautiful place in the world. I feel lucky to live here, the economy and social security has allowed me to live a life of comfort. I cannot take Albertans pretending they get a raw deal seriously. Yeah there hardships in my life, yes everyone doesnt benefit equally, but damn if it ain't better than 97% of the world.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 12:07 PM   #875
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Are there any that aren't clowns, and understand science? What a pathetic bunch.
No, the party has been taken over by lake of fire Wild Rosers and needs to be burned to the ground or relegated to fringe minority status. There are no reasonable candidates, there is no saving the party.

Our only real hope is Danielle doesn't do too much damage while in office and then for an overwhelming NDP majority that can restore sanity to the province. The UCP has done a LOT of damage to our image, reputation and culture though and that will all take time to unwind.

Last edited by Flames0910; 08-11-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 12:10 PM   #876
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“Maybe every independent school needs to be fully funded and we need to phase out every government-run, union-controlled public school more interested in indoctrinating students than teaching them critical-thinking skills,” Ms. Smith said.
https://albertapolitics.ca/2022/08/u...ew-curriculum/

Our next premier...#### me, this is going to be an unmitigated disaster, isn't it?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 12:16 PM   #877
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

lol.

On Smith: And there were groans and chuckles when she said she’d consulted with Postmedia hockey reporter turned opinion columnist David Staples about the curriculum.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 12:28 PM   #878
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://albertapolitics.ca/2022/08/u...ew-curriculum/

Our next premier...#### me, this is going to be an unmitigated disaster, isn't it?
What in the $#%@ is happening?!?!? The government run schools are indoctrinating students.... the ones CONTROLLED BY YOUR GOVERNMENT, so we should stop funding them and only fund private ones that are in it only for profit and have then no control over.....
Old 08-11-2022, 12:58 PM   #879
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I started thinking the same thing while driving home from work this evening, listening to coverage of this on CBC Radio One: "Was this letter concocted by someone seeking to embarrass the government? Did they use just enough dog whistles to appeal to the sensibilities of so-con UCPers, while really trying to prey on their gullibility and ignorance to sneak this letter through and make them looks like foolish bigots?"

What I don't understand is that it looks like it was written on a cell phone.

Horrid views aside, where is the sentence structure or even paragraphs? If it was satire on the troglodytes.....BRAVO!!!
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:07 PM   #880
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

When did management start letting the Unions run the schools?

She’s not just being a lying grifter, is she?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote