Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2022, 04:54 PM   #1281
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Haha nice term.

Am I a garage orphan because I'm too lazy to clean out my side of the garage so I park on the driveway?
I originally thought the term implied how you were being kicked out of the relationship and had to live in the garage....
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 05:00 PM   #1282
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Haha nice term.

Am I a garage orphan because I'm too lazy to clean out my side of the garage so I park on the driveway?
I originally thought the term implied how you were being kicked out of the relationship and had to live in the garage....
Old 07-09-2022, 07:58 AM   #1283
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha nice term.

At least you have a driveway to park in. In our neighbourhood we have back lanes and detached garages, and everyone has too much sh-t in their garages so they park their vehicles on the street.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:14 PM   #1284
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hints of a tesla plant in Canada

Tesla also appears to be paying attention to Canadian mineral supply, battery patents and battery research

https://electricautonomy.ca/2022/08/...actory-canada/
Old 08-16-2022, 03:24 PM   #1285
JagrBombs68
Draft Pick

We put down a deposit on the tesla Model 3 this weekend as a commuter / second vehicle

We were looking at a few plug in hybrids and EVs but with no real answers as to when to expect them or what you'll pay when they get in ( some quoted $15k above MSRP)

it was refreshing to have a set window, set price and no pressure sales bs at the show room
JagrBombs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JagrBombs68 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 12:21 PM   #1286
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagrBombs68 View Post
We put down a deposit on the tesla Model 3 this weekend as a commuter / second vehicle

We were looking at a few plug in hybrids and EVs but with no real answers as to when to expect them or what you'll pay when they get in ( some quoted $15k above MSRP)

it was refreshing to have a set window, set price and no pressure sales bs at the show room

Taking delivery of a M3LR Monday. Ordered in May. I know it's hella more expensive than the others. Seen on reddit of people putting deposits down on the Ioniq 5(my first choice) and getting estimates into 2024 range, with crazy dealership wait lists and small allocations.

The Tesla experience so far has been pleasant and pretty quick. I tempered my expectations with a Dec delivery date but was pleasantly surprised when it came sooner. You will be stoked!!
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:19 PM   #1287
JagrBombs68
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripTDR View Post
Taking delivery of a M3LR Monday. Ordered in May. I know it's hella more expensive than the others. Seen on reddit of people putting deposits down on the Ioniq 5(my first choice) and getting estimates into 2024 range, with crazy dealership wait lists and small allocations.

The Tesla experience so far has been pleasant and pretty quick. I tempered my expectations with a Dec delivery date but was pleasantly surprised when it came sooner. You will be stoked!!
Awesome congrats! hopefully delivery goes smoothly and you beat a few fast cars off the line on your way home
Old 08-24-2022, 11:19 AM   #1288
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Transition to EV won't be entirely painless. Ford cutting 3 000 jobs to fund their transition to EV vehicles. Maybe long term those job numbers come back as the EV side of the business grows?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ctric-vehicles
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:25 PM   #1289
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Transition to EV won't be entirely painless. Ford cutting 3 000 jobs to fund their transition to EV vehicles. Maybe long term those job numbers come back as the EV side of the business grows?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ctric-vehicles
It's the biggest reason the OEM's are struggling and will struggle further with the change. The change to all EV is inevitable. It's not in doubt. The issue is large OEM's have large stakeholders like unions and integrated parts supply that are not going to want to make the change. It's not just Ford cutting 3,000 jobs in vehicle manufacturing, but the makers of the various outsourced parts too. An EV's drive train has thousands less parts, and the ones they to use need replacement far less often so many of those companies will simply cease to exist. In all of the disruptions there's more jobs gained than lost, but the skills aren't usually transferrable. What consolation is it to the 50 year old guy working on making some transmission piece that there are more jobs 400km away building electrical transmission infrastructure?

EV's are better than ICE vehicles full stop, and they are needed to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. But make no mistake, the transition will be painful for many. Energy prices will be volatile, food prices unstable, jobs will be lost in one sector and gained in another at a speed that will make "retraining" difficult for many
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:59 PM   #1290
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Sounds like Hyundai pushed new firmware, and the Ioniq 5 is now charging at above 250kw for some, and above 200kw for basically the whole way up to 80%.

Essentially down to below 15 minute charges now.

I test drove one several months ago, really nice vehicle.

Saw my first F150 lightning around town the other day too.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:23 PM   #1291
JagrBombs68
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Sounds like Hyundai pushed new firmware, and the Ioniq 5 is now charging at above 250kw for some, and above 200kw for basically the whole way up to 80%.

Essentially down to below 15 minute charges now.

I test drove one several months ago, really nice vehicle.

Saw my first F150 lightning around town the other day too.
Wow that's awesome ! I really liked the Ioniq 5 but the dealerships were quoting $70k for the $55k version, if someone who ordered one declined to buy it which sort of defeats the point of a well priced EV SUV

2-3 year wait didnt work for us
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JagrBombs68 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2022, 03:33 PM   #1292
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Would be interesting to know how they did that. Charging speed usually relates to battery temperature and condition, did they improve the ability to warm the battery prior to charging and better maintain optimal charging temperature?

Or find out that any battery life reduction due to faster charging is minimal?

I liked it on paper and I still like it enough to buy it as a family vehicle.. but after seeing it in real life I don't like it as much so wouldn't want it as my daily driver.
Old 09-02-2022, 11:38 AM   #1293
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.wired.com/story/cell-to-...=pocket-newtab

This idea improves one problem: range (which arguably isn't actually a big problem, but is perceived to be) but would have a whole bunch of downsides.

On the range thing...is there an app out there that could track your typical driving habits in an ICE and convert it to a simple report of what it would look like if you had an EV? I'm thinking it would spit you out a graph that shows where your battery charge would be day to day (could be one each for level 1 and level 2 charging), and demonstrate how often you'd get anywhere near 'empty'.

I think it would be really informative and do a lot to ease range anxiety. I still think the goal should be hitting 100 miles in the simplest/lightest way possible, and then figure out secondary solutions to generate/deliver more electricity as needed (swappable batteries/hydrogen/propane/etc)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2022, 12:48 PM   #1294
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm more curious what the phase out of ICE vehicles looks like than I am about the phase in of EVs.

How long am I going to be able to get gas for existing ICE vehicles? I'm aware our family isn't the norm but our daily driver is 11 years old and our weekend vehicle is 20 years old. A 20 year old vehicle from 2035 is 2055. Will one still be able to get gas at that time?

For as long as I can still get gas for the vehicles I want to drive I'm really not bothered by the regulation push to go full EV.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 09:06 PM   #1295
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Would be interesting to know how they did that. Charging speed usually relates to battery temperature and condition, did they improve the ability to warm the battery prior to charging and better maintain optimal charging temperature?

Or find out that any battery life reduction due to faster charging is minimal?

I liked it on paper and I still like it enough to buy it as a family vehicle.. but after seeing it in real life I don't like it as much so wouldn't want it as my daily driver.
Hyuandia/Kia, Audi and Porsche are working with 800V systems.

So my understanding was Hyundai/Kia had max charging of 230kw which was limited by software caps for their charging curve and could in theory go much higher similar to Porsce. Ford recently updated Mach E charging curve above 80% so my guess is that most manufacturers are staying on the safe side for initial releases then update down the road.

That all said I can't find any sources that Hyundai increased their charging curve and don't see it on the Ioniq forums?

Last edited by CASe333; 09-04-2022 at 07:38 PM. Reason: clarity
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:49 PM   #1296
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The only recent news I can find is the 2022 Ioniq 5 aren't getting better options for battery preconditioning for next winter which has been rumored for past year. Seems like a pretty lame excuse too. Definitely a bummer for anywhere that gets real cold but not a big deal for us.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch...el=TheIoniqGuy

2023 gets it though and note all 2022 Canadian models do warm battery once it is charging just no option to turn it on before.

Last edited by CASe333; 09-04-2022 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added info for 2023
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CASe333 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2022, 08:44 AM   #1297
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if we see a revival of drive in restaurants/coffee shops? Starbucks announced in the US they'd be installing chargers. I'm just thinking, instead of idling in a drive throguh for 10 minutes, you pull up to a charger, plug in, order your food/drink on an app, and have it delivered to your car.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 12:38 PM   #1298
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

By people on electric roller skates!
Old 09-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #1299
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I wonder if we see a revival of drive in restaurants/coffee shops? Starbucks announced in the US they'd be installing chargers. I'm just thinking, instead of idling in a drive throguh for 10 minutes, you pull up to a charger, plug in, order your food/drink on an app, and have it delivered to your car.

The new generation of Wifi moochers.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:00 PM   #1300
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The new generation of Wifi moochers.
Presumably it wouldn't be cost effective to give it away. You would still pay for your charge, maybe at a slightly lower rate than a nearby non-drive in charge point. Or every $10 of food gets you some kw free. I'll let the accountants with their helicopters work on the details, I'm just the idea guy.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote