Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-07-2022, 08:42 PM   #561
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Malloy is Malarkey from Band of Brothers. Had been trying to place him for the whole series. Mind blown.
He was also Morris in ER. Really enjoyed him in that series. From a screw up doctor rising up to control the entire department.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:35 AM   #562
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So hearing that if the Orville goes to a next season, which is sounding more unlikely. It will be without Seth who's now working on a Ted TV series. Also without Gordon as he's involved in Ted as well.

Most of the actors have moved on to other projects, so even if we get another season it will not be soon. I tend to think at this point that the logistics will end the series unless we get a Orville, the next generation with a whole new cast.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:40 AM   #563
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

They should just do a movie. Would be easier to pull the actors into at a later date.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 09:45 AM   #564
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wouldn't mind, I'm still a big fan that we got some closure with firefly with serenity, which I thought was excellent mainly because the villain was so good.

I don't know if Orville would really work as a movie, or be as satisfying.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:02 AM   #565
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't mind the show with another ship and cast, the universe they built is decent enough.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:35 AM   #566
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, Seth is the weak link of the cast in terms of acting, so I wouldn't be sad to see him leave. Maybe he could be promoted to Admiral to replace Ted Danson and just do those quick video calls like they do with Victor Garber.

I'd like to see The Orville with Kelly as captain and as much of the returning cast as they can get.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:48 PM   #567
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Honestly, Seth is the weak link of the cast in terms of acting, so I wouldn't be sad to see him leave. Maybe he could be promoted to Admiral to replace Ted Danson and just do those quick video calls like they do with Victor Garber.

I'd like to see The Orville with Kelly as captain and as much of the returning cast as they can get.
That wouldnt be a bad idea actually. I kind of got the impression that with Seth as the weak-link acting-wise, I did notice he got lots and lots less screen-time as the series progressed.

I think he might have been pulling himself out of it a bit.

And...a Ted show? Did anyone really like those movies that much that it warrants a show? I was amazed it even got a sequel.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:32 AM   #568
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Wow...just thinking about this because after last night's episode I figure at some point down the road there will be an inevitable re-watch, but if you're starting at season 1 and are now into season 3 how are you finding the dramatic shift in tone?

They started off as a spoof series and have now essentially just become TNG in an alternate reality.
At first I questioned the shift in tone (away from comedy), but after watching all of season 3, holy cow. It was definitely the right decision.
The second half of season 3 was some of the best TV I've seen this year.

Orville is better than the modern Star Trek.

Hoping we get a season 4 eventually. I think we will. People will eventually watch and like what they see. But it might take some time.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:39 AM   #569
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just wanted to post some of my favorites

1) Charlie's Death

Charlie was a bit controversial some people liked her some didn't. Her treatment of Isaac was at times tough to watch as was her stance on genocide. But they evolved her character and gave her a great final scene. Her last line was a simple "I'm here Amanda" as her world ends

2) Charlie's funeral

Just the pure emotion of it, and Ed knocks it out of the park, you could hear his emotion. Isaac's speech was typical Isaac and beautifully done as it played to the fact that he has no feelings at all, but still managed to feel.

4) Dolly Parton's try as the Orville heads to earth.

God, they shot this show so well in the last two years, and it felt like a labor of love, Having Dolly's awesome song Try playing as the Orville emerged from the clouds was stunning.

5) Alara leaves

I can't seem to find a scene for that one. But it was done so well, and Halston looked genuienly emotional as she hugged it out and boarded the shuttle. It was nice to see her get some screen time in the final episode.

6) Clare and Isaac tie to knot.

I loved that whole last episode, including Isaac's body language after the whole Keylan civilization showed up. But the wedding was really nicely done with Bortas as the awful best man, and Gordon saving the day. But the wedding vows were awesome

7) Gordon sings off the show.

Scott Grimes is a talented guy, and him singing off the show was so awesomely done.

8) Bad relationship advice by LaMarr

John coaches up Isaac on getting Claire to break up with him. One of the best pure comedy scenes in the show

9) Practical Joke

Gordon tries to teach Isaac humor and loses a leg.

10) The Sandwich

Nice touch in bringing back the Sandwich from the anti-banana ray

hm

Topa becomes what she was meant to be. The Topa storyline was brilliantly done, and how they closed the story even more perfect.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2024, 12:58 PM   #570
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I only gave The Orville a look recently and really grew to like it. Goofy as hell but it has likable characters and you sort of become invested in the crew and the challenges they were faced with each episode. I found it mostly engaging although, at times, it definitely earned some eye-rolls. Overall, a solid binge watch and I'm glad I watched it.

Anyway, Adrianne Palicki was on a recent episode of Inside of You and talked about the end of the series after three years as well as some insight into her short marriage to castmate, Scott Grimes. I haven't seen anything official stating the series is done but this sure makes it sound as if it's over.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 05:22 PM   #571
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sadly I think the Orville is pretty much dead. Most of the cast contracts weren't renewed and McFarlane has moved on.

It was a great show, probably one of the better sci-fi shows in the last few years. At least it went out at a high level.

I would think that the only way it comes back is as an occasional TV movie, or they laughingly do a new series with a new cast like a TNG thing.

Old 01-01-2024, 10:08 PM   #572
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They need to wait 20 years, then do a movie.

You know… the plot of Galaxy Quest.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 10:12 PM   #573
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I really liked was the graduation.

The first season was a full-on farce. Season 2 got more serious and intriguing and season 3? Pardon me if I call that excellent.

They knew they'd hook people being a joke initially but got more and more serious as time went on.

That show was pretty awesome.

As a Star Trek fan? I loved it. The Orville was great!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-01-2024, 10:15 PM   #574
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Although the 'Leg Amputation' prank is the funniest thing ever. Next to Mr. Potato Head.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2024, 10:05 PM   #575
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

After reading this bounce I decided to rewatch the Orville, As I'm writing this Scott Grimes has just stumbled onto the bridge missing his leg and Isaac deadpanning with "Ha Ha I got you".

Brilliant.

Old 01-02-2024, 10:35 PM   #576
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going through this thread and thinking of doing a re-watch.

It can't be said enough.

RIP Norm MacDonald.

You were awesome Norm.

Old 01-02-2024, 10:38 PM   #577
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also...no matter how many times I watch this...he didnt scrimp on the music. Its phenomenal.

Old 01-03-2024, 12:14 AM   #578
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Poor Yaphet, rejected by Claire, passed over for promotion by John, yet he found a way to pop his head up to be the hero on multiple locations. Norm was a god damned treasure in this role. Without him the crew would have probably been dead and the earth destroyed by the Kaylons.

The music and effects were really excellent and they had some really neat visual concepts. The 2 d world was georgeous, and the stable worm hole in the episode with Charlize Theron. The opening theme with the ship flying through space was better then anything done in Trek to me.

Every time that Gordon picked up the guitar or sang was excellent, and there was no better way to end the series then this.

I love the idea that this show was a labor of love by Seth, even with the tone changes in the last season.

Old 01-03-2024, 10:11 AM   #579
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Way better than Star Trek (though the lower decks is also really good).

With The Expanse, Orville, and Lower Decks we have had some great sci-fi (actual sci-fi, not super hero crap they lump in the same genre) over the past few years. Hopefully it leads to continued investments in these types of shows.

Would recommend this series to anyone, especially Star Trek fans. Absolutely loved it.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:09 PM   #580
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
At first I questioned the shift in tone (away from comedy), but after watching all of season 3, holy cow. It was definitely the right decision.
The second half of season 3 was some of the best TV I've seen this year.

Orville is better than the modern Star Trek.

Hoping we get a season 4 eventually. I think we will. People will eventually watch and like what they see. But it might take some time.
I know this post is rather old, but I decided to do a Season 3 re-watch while I have some time off.

Season 3 is, agreed, some of the best Sci-Fi made recently.

I dont want to get bogged down in 'Rankings' because I think Strange New Worlds absolutely slaughtered in the first 2 seasons. That show is fantastic, but as a 'Love Letter to Trek' the Orville Season 3 really set the mark.

I hope they get a budget for a movie or something, but it does feel like everyone has moved on.