Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #3161
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any recommendations for a hotel for an overnight in Houston?
I get in at 10PM and leave at 9AM so I won't really have time for anything other than sleep and breakfast.

The Marriott in the airport looks good but is almost $300 a night which I would prefer to knock down.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #3162
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Any recommendations for a hotel for an overnight in Houston?
I get in at 10PM and leave at 9AM so I won't really have time for anything other than sleep and breakfast.

The Marriott in the airport looks good but is almost $300 a night which I would prefer to knock down.
Use priceline. Most hotels near the airport (JFK Blvd) are great and have quick shuttle ride to and from airport. Priceline's express deals (or Hotwire) let you make sure you get a shuttle.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #3163
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by something View Post
So my girlfriend and I are thinking of heading on vacation to the following places Nov 3rd to Nov 20th:

China (Via Beijing or Guangzhou) for 990

Belize For 500

Panama for 630

Any recommendations? I have been to Central America and Mexico numerous times, and while I traveled SE Asia, have never been to China.
I went to Beijing, Chengdu and a couple other places around that time of year. For the most part it was pretty good. In Beijing the government controlled heating systems don't get turned on until November 15 I think, but most places have independent heating as well. I actually liked traveling at that time because I was never hot or sticky and there weren't as many tourists at any one spot. China is interesting because it's the only place I've been to where local Chinese tourists greatly outnumber foreigners. Chengdu was very comfortable at the time as well (t-shirt, jeans, light jacket type clothes), but rain does come and go.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #3164
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone who has parked long term at the airport, if im looking to park in the P2 lot or economy, do I just grab the ticket from the booth as I usually do and when im leaving pay at the exit. or do I have to fill out a form etc.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #3165
no_joke
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM Canada:

Choose the next promotion: exclusive on the KLM Canada Facebook page.

Starting Monday July 22nd, we will let our Facebook© fans decide which destination will be on sale from Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa at $849 R/T taxes included. Copenhagen and Edinburgh are just a few cities that you will be able to vote for. Simply Like the KLM Canada Facebook© page and be part of this exclusive promotion.

The most popular destination will be on sale for 48 hours.
KLM is bringing back this promotion. Last year, many of us were able to fly to Istanbul for $749 R/T IIRC.
no_joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #3166
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_joke View Post
KLM is bringing back this promotion. Last year, many of us were able to fly to Istanbul for $749 R/T IIRC.
Nice. That was great. I paid $718 for Istanbul with a one-week stop in Amsterdam on the way over. I think it would have been under $700 without the stop.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #3167
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I went to Beijing, Chengdu and a couple other places around that time of year. For the most part it was pretty good. In Beijing the government controlled heating systems don't get turned on until November 15 I think, but most places have independent heating as well. I actually liked traveling at that time because I was never hot or sticky and there weren't as many tourists at any one spot. China is interesting because it's the only place I've been to where local Chinese tourists greatly outnumber foreigners. Chengdu was very comfortable at the time as well (t-shirt, jeans, light jacket type clothes), but rain does come and go.
American National Parks. The Chinese are actually quite a lot like Americans in this way, they both love to travel, and they both rarely leave their own country.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #3168
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

should get some vote rigging set up when it opens so paris/amsterdam aren't picked.....seems like half the people in the comments on FB don't know about the free stop
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #3169
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by secol View Post
should get some vote rigging set up when it opens so paris/amsterdam aren't picked.....seems like half the people in the comments on FB don't know about the free stop
I'm sure cmyden will exert his influence again and make sure everyone votes for the best deal.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #3170
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Voting has started! PLEASE VOTE FOR MOSCOW! You'll never see Moscow that cheap!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3941194&type=1
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #3171
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of votes for Amsterdam on there, which is interesting, since it's not one of the choices and you can get a free stopover there going anywhere else.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #3172
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah people are dumb.
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #3173
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd be quite interested in going to Scotland. But thus far, seems like Moscow is running away with it. Is there that much interest in going to Russia, or does it have to do with the Olympics?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #3174
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Based purely on the typical bottom price, I'd say they would all be a good deal on destinations that rarely come up for sale from Calgary. At $850, I'd rank them in order of discount off the typical bottom price as...

Moscow, Russia (37%)
Lisbon, Portugal (37%)
Copenhagen, Denmark (35%)
Warsaw, Poland (32%)
Edinburgh, Scotland (28%)

So I'd say they're all fairly equal in terms of deal strength. Personally, I'll probably vote for Edinburgh or Lisbon, but not as excited about any of the destinations as $750 to Turkey.

The date availability (likely mid October to early May) kind of hurts these mostly northern European destinations in terms of a good time of year to visit in my opinion. Fingers crossed that KLM offers some late May dates.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 07-22-2013 at 10:27 AM.
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #3175
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

so which way should we swing the vote?
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #3176
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moscow with a stop over in Paris..? Yes please!

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #3177
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just a reminder that last time KLM did this, the price to the winning destination was matched by the other major airlines, which can have different destinations for free stopovers. On Air France for example, you can get a free stopover in Paris.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
Old 07-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #3178
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Beijing or Shanghai, China | $888 roundtrip after taxes

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-beiji...ip-after-taxes

Air Canada is promoting an 'Amazing Race' offer on flights from Calgary to Beijing or Shanghai, China for $888 roundtrip after taxes.

While flights from Calgary to China for under $900 are not unprecedented, there appears to be availability in every month of the calendar all the way up to March 2014, which is somewhat rare.

The price applies to Air Canada's one-stop flights through Vancouver, which is as fast as you can get to China and back from Calgary.

The cheap flights appear to be for travel on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays.

For full details and available dates you can go to:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/a...azingrace.html

Old 07-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #3179
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

No thanks to Russia. I always tend to sleep better when my tourist dollars aren't propping up deplorable regimes.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #3180
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

When does the KLM voting end and the 48 hr purchase window start?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote