Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #21
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
As much as I liked that trade for the Blues, if true, a dirt bag move by Doug Armstrong to trade Berglund over a technicality. That kind of thing can gain you a bad reputation around the league and players not wanting to play for you or sign with you

Flip side, Berglund should be pissed at his agent for not getting the paper work in on time, but thank his lucky stars he's now on a real good team and out of the tire fire in St Loo
If I were Berglund it’s more being upset at the agent. Agents take a good chunk of salary off the top each cheque, the least they could do is set a 7 day reminder in Outlook to get their clients administrative paperwork, that took 5x as long to negotiate thst clause the it would to enact the clause and email the club with the 20 team list, done in time.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #22
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
...a dirt bag move by Doug Armstrong to trade Berglund over a technicality.
Maybe raise that bar for dirtbag a little higher than you have. It sounds like Berglund might be a bit of a handful and his own lack of attention to detail turned into the Blues opportunity to cut ties with a problem. No need to completely denigrate Doug Armstrong because you'd hate to be in Berglund's shoes.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #23
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have sort of a hard time believing an agent is bad enough at his job to mess that up. Don’t see how you fault the GM at all. The ROR trade is weird because it looks good on the surface for St Louis yet their team has taken an absolute nose dive
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #24
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
As much as I liked that trade for the Blues, if true, a dirt bag move by Doug Armstrong to trade Berglund over a technicality. That kind of thing can gain you a bad reputation around the league and players not wanting to play for you or sign with you

Flip side, Berglund should be pissed at his agent for not getting the paper work in on time, but thank his lucky stars he's now on a real good team and out of the tire fire in St Loo
He was supposed to get the list in to the team on June 30. He was traded the very next day.

What do you expect the Blues to do? Not trade him, given that they don't know where he is wants to go? Make a guess as to what his list would be? Chase him down instead of negotiating with teams?

July 1 is a busy day for teams. You go about doing business based on the parameters you have.

ALL of the blame for this is with his agent (and possibly Berglund too).
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jtfrogger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #25
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Neal for Berglund... He played real well with Backlund before...
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #26
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Berglund becomes a UFA, I would love to take a flier on him with a low term/low cap contract to see how he does on the Flames. He was a solid 200ft player with size and IQ. Maybe coming to the Flames to play with his buddy might put some jump in his game.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:44 AM   #27
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
If Berglund becomes a UFA, I would love to take a flier on him with a low term/low cap contract to see how he does on the Flames. He was a solid 200ft player with size and IQ. Maybe coming to the Flames to play with his buddy might put some jump in his game.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
He's 30 years old and on the decline and seems to be a bit of a pouter. Useful if you are getting him short term at $3 million or less a season but I think the Flames should probably start moving away from signing 30+ year old UFA's as outside of Hudler it's not worked out well.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #28
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfrogger View Post
He was supposed to get the list in to the team on June 30. He was traded the very next day.

What do you expect the Blues to do? Not trade him, given that they don't know where he is wants to go? Make a guess as to what his list would be? Chase him down instead of negotiating with teams?

July 1 is a busy day for teams. You go about doing business based on the parameters you have.

ALL of the blame for this is with his agent (and possibly Berglund too).
A courtesy reminder wouldn't have hurt especially if they knew they were going to trade him, except I'm sure Doug Armstrong was hoping that it never came in. It happens both ways, when the Chicago RFA papers were late, I'm sure they used that as a strong negotiating factor to get a couple extra bucks before it was ultimately determined whether they would be UFA or not.

It's business. However, don't expect that to build good faith with any player who might have liked Berglund.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
The guy literally quit on his team when things didn't go exactly as he wanted. The team itself is near the top of the standings while he sucked. I'm not sure why you'd entertain signing him.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #29
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Buffalo may not be the greatest but it's certainly not much worse than St. Louis. And I would think given where both teams are in the standings right now, if I was a player I'd rather be in Buffalo.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #30
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
Neal for Berglund... He played real well with Backlund before...
I would absolutely consider this trade. I think it would benefit both teams in the long run. I could see Eichel and Neal lighting it up together. The fit would probably be better.

Seems like maybe Berglund felt a little cheated with how the trade went down and maybe he’s still sour about it and maybe the locker room hasn’t warmed up to him or something like that. On the Flames, Berglund would have a friend in Backlund as they grew up playing together and during the lockout. On the ice, we could certainly use his size up the middle, he can win faceoffs and score some goals. He might not have the same ceiling as Neal, but he has 1 year less on his deal, cheaper and would be way easier to buy out if needed.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #31
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I would absolutely consider this trade. I think it would benefit both teams in the long run. I could see Eichel and Neal lighting it up together. The fit would probably be better.

Seems like maybe Berglund felt a little cheated with how the trade went down and maybe he’s still sour about it and maybe the locker room hasn’t warmed up to him or something like that. On the Flames, Berglund would have a friend in Backlund as they grew up playing together and during the lockout. On the ice, we could certainly use his size up the middle, he can win faceoffs and score some goals. He might not have the same ceiling as Neal, but he has 1 year less on his deal, cheaper and would be way easier to buy out if needed.
Except the Blues don't need to take on Neal's salary and hope that he goes back to form. If Berglund doesn't report back soon they can just terminate Berglund's contract.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #32
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Buffalo may not be the greatest but it's certainly not much worse than St. Louis. And I would think given where both teams are in the standings right now, if I was a player I'd rather be in Buffalo.
A week ago, I would have thought the same. But I've changed my mind after hearing Connie's intermission take on why so many ex NHL'ers who played for the Blues stay in that city (actually he mentioned it being more like a big town)

It seems that St-Lou. has much more to offer.: School system, activities, sports teams, etc

As for the Sabres, yes they are having a great season but somehow I am still not sold.
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #33
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
A courtesy reminder wouldn't have hurt especially if they knew they were going to trade him, except I'm sure Doug Armstrong was hoping that it never came in. It happens both ways, when the Chicago RFA papers were late, I'm sure they used that as a strong negotiating factor to get a couple extra bucks before it was ultimately determined whether they would be UFA or not.

It's business. However, don't expect that to build good faith with any player who might have liked Berglund.

The guy literally quit on his team when things didn't go exactly as he wanted. The team itself is near the top of the standings while he sucked. I'm not sure why you'd entertain signing him.
Yeah, I'm thinking it was kind of sharp practice, even though technically on side. In my practice, if an opposing lawyer looks like he;s making a mistake, it's not good form to take advantage without some sort of warning shot.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #34
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Except the Blues don't need to take on Neal's salary and hope that he goes back to form. If Berglund doesn't report back soon they can just terminate Berglund's contract.
Yes that's true because we wouldn't be trading Neal to the Blues. Berglund plays for the Sabres...

Berglund loved playing for St Louis and probably planned on playing there for life and felt betrayed with not just the trade, but how it went down. Berglund will report back with out a doubt, guy didn't make enough in his career to just watch nearly $15 million go up in smoke.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #35
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Yes that's true because we wouldn't be trading Neal to the Blues. Berglund plays for the Sabres...

Berglund loved playing for St Louis and probably planned on playing there for life and felt betrayed with not just the trade, but how it went down. Berglund will report back with out a doubt, guy didn't make enough in his career to just watch nearly $15 million go up in smoke.
Yeah I meant Sabres.

He is already forfeiting $25k every day he is suspended this year and is very close to watching the entire contract go up in smoke.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #36
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no time for anyone who pulls that garbage.

Time to go home.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #37
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I have no time for anyone who pulls that garbage.

Time to go home.
To be fair, he was a very loyal St Louis Blue for a long time and probably fairly well liked. With the signing he made, he probably was interested in retiring with the organization. The whole trade fiasco with his NTC likely left a really sour taste in his mouth as I'm certain he had Buffalo on his no trade list before. So that in itself started the relationship off poorly. Couple that with the start to the season and he's probably just extremely frustrated at this whole situation. Doesn't seem like he's pouting because he's not getting the proper minutes or something, seems to me it's more of a guy who felt hurt and betrayed by what his GM did.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #38
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1075436512492187648
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #39
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couldn't imagine walking away from 13 million dollars.
Anyone else sign him or does he go home?
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #40
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What happens if a team claims him and he fails to report?
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote