Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Flames Flames recall Lomberg. Send Valiev and Peluso to Stockton

Lomberg still has to serve a 1 game suspension

Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
.@CortexBusiness Transaction Alert: The #Flames have recalled Ryan Lomberg from the @AHLHeat.

In a corresponding move, Rinat Valiev & Anthony Peluso have been assigned to the Heat.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Figured this would happen. Lomberg serves his suspension Wednesday and is available for Minnesota on Saturday.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Figured this would happen. Lomberg serves his suspension Wednesday and is available for Minnesota on Saturday.
...to finish the job on Dumba.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

How bizarre is it, to look forward to a Saturday afternoon game against the Wild?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Peluso, he scored a nice goal. Shame about the replay but in the old days that would have counted for sure.

Can't believe that I am typing this, but I am pumped for the Flames - Wild game Sat morning!
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the uneducated (me), why did we send down Lomberg to Stockton instead of keeping him up so he could complete his suspension vs EDM?

Were we limited by the number of players on our roster, or was he needed to play in Stockton? Is he still eligible to play in the AHL during an NHL suspension? I thought suspensions were observed across all leagues.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
For the uneducated (me), why did we send down Lomberg to Stockton instead of keeping him up so he could complete his suspension vs EDM?

We were limited by the number of players on our roster, or was he needed to play in Stockton? Is he still eligible to play in the AHL during an NHL suspension? I thought suspensions were observed across all leagues.
Prior to the trade deadline, you can only have 23 players on your active roster.

With both Gio and Lomberg suspended, they took up two of those roster spots. That meant that the Flames only had room for one extra player for Saturday's game (Valiev). If a forward had been injured prior to Saturday's game, they would have had to dress 7 d-men for the game.

By sending Lomberg down (I'd actually be surprised if he even left Calgary), they freed up one of those roster spots, which meant they could bring an extra forward and an extra defenceman to Edmonton in case someone got hurt in the pregame skate.

Now that Gio's suspension is over, they get one of those extra roster spots back, so it's easier to let Lomberg serve the last game of his suspension tomorrow. They can still call up another forward to make sure they have an extra for tomorrow.

Last edited by getbak; 12-11-2018 at 10:30 AM.
getbak is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post

Were we limited by the number of players on our roster, or was he needed to play in Stockton? Is he still eligible to play in the AHL during an NHL suspension? I thought suspensions were observed across all leagues.
Yes the Flames were at the roster limit. Suspended players still count towards the limit unless given permission by the NHL. The Flames also used up all their remaining cap space with all the recent call ups but could probably have used LTIR space to keep Lomberg up if not for the roster limit.

There is no rule that prevents a player suspended in the NHL from playing in the AHL or vice versa.

I believe the IIHF is the only governing body that is concerned with suspension across leagues and they don't have any authority over the NHL or AHL.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #9
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Counting suspended players towards the roster limit makes Lomberg's suspension effectively 3 games then.

I guess that means that if a team has a multiple suspended players, they don't get to carry the extra forward or defenseman if someone gets hurt in warmups.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote