Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #201
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think his strong faceoff ability is certainly playing a factor into Ryan's decent shot metrics. But he is noticable in the game itself for the wrong reasons very often. The giveaway in the Oilers game that led to the goal was but one of many moments throughout the season where the play seemingly dies once Ryan attempts to make a play with the puck.

Perhaps confirmation bias has more influence over my perception yeah, but it just seems like so often where you see him making a pass that get intercepted, a shot that fans, fumbling while recieving someone else's pass, a dump in that gets knocked down by a dman midair. Etc, etc.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #202
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

There absolutely is a value of having a player that is responsible and does the things Ryan does.

Is he flashy? Nope. At times does he have a bad play that results in a goal? Sure, but what player doesn't.

More often than not he does the little things right. There are things in his game that unless you break down the video you aren't going to see it.

This team is sitting 3rd in the NHL for FOW% and Ryan is part of that.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #203
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back on track.

”the brain is the most complex organ in the body. The brain is made up of a complex network of billions of nerve cells called neurons, as well as other kinds of cells, all protected by the bones of the skull.”

Brain injuries are serious and very complicated. Concussions and consequent recovery time are extremely difficult to predict. Everybody heals differently as there are so many different variables to deal with.

We’re not talking about bones, ligaments or the flu.

Wishing the best for Backlund.

Last edited by timbit; 12-11-2018 at 11:19 AM.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #204
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I think his strong faceoff ability is certainly playing a factor into Ryan's decent shot metrics. But he is noticable in the game itself for the wrong reasons very often. The giveaway in the Oilers game that led to the goal was but one of many moments throughout the season where the play seemingly dies once Ryan attempts to make a play with the puck.

Perhaps confirmation bias has more influence over my perception yeah, but it just seems like so often where you see him making a pass that get intercepted, a shot that fans, fumbling while recieving someone else's pass, a dump in that gets knocked down by a dman midair. Etc, etc.
Yeah, this is the very definition of confirmation bias. Without tracking all the same plays equally for all players it is impossible to say how often or not these sorts of plays happen when your expectation is that they will happen with a specific player. This is what is valuable about the added information the numbers provide—if nothing else but to show how unreliable our perception and interpretations are.

I said this in another thread about shutting down McDavid, but it applies here: so long as Ryan is consistently driving the puck away from the Flames net and into the other zone, that's a job well done. Even with the supposed fans, fumbled passes or interceptions it seems pretty clear that Ryan is doing his job. If his scoring gets a little bump as the season continues, then all the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #205
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post

And to be fair Frolik and Ryan have the 2nd (3.4/60) and 3rd (3.6/60) highest give away rates per 60 of any player on the team.

Gaudreau is forgiven because he has the puck all the time, but defensive forwards shouldn't be coughing it up that often.

Top five on the good side?

Stone 0.79/60
Hathaway 1.37

(guys that don't carry the puck)

Lindholm 1.68 (that's amazing)
Carnik 1.68
Neal 1.82 (interesting, but doesn't carry it much)
Giordano 1.83
Bennett 1.83
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #206
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
And to be fair Frolik and Ryan have the 2nd (3.4/60) and 3rd (3.6/60) highest give away rates per 60 of any player on the team.

Gaudreau is forgiven because he has the puck all the time, but defensive forwards shouldn't be coughing it up that often.

Top five on the good side?

Stone 0.79/60
Hathaway 1.37

(guys that don't carry the puck)

Lindholm 1.68 (that's amazing)
Carnik 1.68
Neal 1.82 (interesting, but doesn't carry it much)
Giordano 1.83
Bennett 1.83
Defensive forwards are always playing against guys who are good at takeaways though. And to the extent they are offensive zone giveaways I'm not too fussed, so more detail is needed in that stat I think. Neutral zone and defensive zone giveaways are way more dangerous.

I'm also a little suspicious of what constitutes a giveaway. I'm pretty sure just missing a pass doesn't count. I'm sure missing a shot or having it deflected to the other team doesn't count. Getting bumped off the puck? Receiving a suicide pass or a puck along the boards (and then losing the board battle)?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #207
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1072567291198476289
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #208
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
More or less what I suspected. That's not good, but it is par for the course for the NHL. Gives the young players a shot to show what they got, I hope they are grab a spot for themselves and never let go.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #209
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Go figure the one time John Shannon is right about something its this.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #210
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
More or less what I suspected. That's not good, but it is par for the course for the NHL. Gives the young players a shot to show what they got, I hope they are grab a spot for themselves and never let go.
Indeed. This presents big opportunities for Kylington and Mangiapane to establish themselves as full-time NHLers (at least for this season) with a strong stretch of play. Personally, I think Kylington will probably do just that and push Valimaki down to the AHL (which I don't think is bad for Valimaki's development at all). Mangiapane will need to begin to actually produce (on top of his already solid play) in order to stick around (I suspect).
Old 12-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #211
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Indeed. This presents big opportunities for Kylington and Mangiapane to establish themselves as full-time NHLers (at least for this season) with a strong stretch of play. Personally, I think Kylington will probably do just that and push Valimaki down to the AHL (which I don't think is bad for Valimaki's development at all). Mangiapane will need to begin to actually produce (on top of his already solid play) in order to stick around (I suspect).
It is really quite frustrating that Mangiapane has yet to score. His first handful of games in Calgary have been similar to how Dube started—lots of great looks, but a couple of posts and terrific saves have kept him off the score sheet.

I am happy that he appears quite a bit better than he did in his 10-games last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #212
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I think that if Mangiapane doesn't produce in the next few games we will see Foo or Rychel get a look. Kylington is great in open ice, but I think that Valimaki plays with a little more control in his own end. Tough to be upset with the youth on defence all around.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #213
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It is really quite frustrating that Mangiapane has yet to score. His first handful of games in Calgary have been similar to how Dube started—lots of great looks, but a couple of posts and terrific saves have kept him off the score sheet.
His shot is much heavier than I had anticipated.

I’m really excited about this player.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote