Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-03-2018, 12:45 AM   #81
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm actually glad that the Oilers and Canucks have good young players.
The best Flames hockey I've ever seen has been when they are measured against good Oiler and Canuck teams. Bring it on.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:36 AM   #82
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final scores and recaps
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/sco...p?day=20181102
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/news/NHL-R...ate=11-02-2018

2 vs 4

6 at 7 in overtime

3 at 4 in overtime

Last edited by Tsawwassen; 11-05-2018 at 05:07 AM.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:04 AM   #83
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a small amount of games on the OOT, incredible action and highlights. The common theme here are former rivals of some sort.

In the battle of former Southeast division rivals, the Panthers get even in the Finland series as they defeated the Jets. The key for the Panthers was their power play that went 3 for 5. Yandle and Dandonov each had a goal and an assist. The Jets owned the 2nd period in shots, 12-3. The Panthers fired right back in the 3rd period with a 17-4 advantage.

The battle of former Northwest Division rivals was an all out offensive guns a blazing game. Wow! The Canucks led 1-0 after the 1st period with Boeser's goal coming less than a minute into the game. The 2nd period had an avalanche with 7 goals scored and all of them were even strength. The 3rd period was thrilling especially at the end as both teams scored in the final 100 seconds of reg time. Pouliot gets the GWG on the PP. The bummer is that it did not make it to the SO, the Canucks get the ROW. Patterson with 5 points and Boeser with 4 points.

The battle of former WHA rivals didn't have as many goals scored but was fun to watch. The Coyotes had a 3-0 lead after the 1st period. Richardson scored a SHG which was the opening goal. The Hurricanes took over for the next 2 periods with 41 shots to just 12 shots for the Coyotes. Carolina came back with one goal in the 2nd period and then 2 goals in 40 seconds during the 3rd period and were 0 for 6 on the PP. Grabner scored the GWG in OT for the Coyotes. Aho was held pointless for the first time this season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 08:48 AM   #84
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau is clearly better than Pettersson. Pettersson might end up better, we'll see, he's 19.

He's also shooting 39%. I know he has a good shot but that's just crazy luck. William Karlsson did his 43 goal nonsense last year with a 24% shooting percentage - he's down to 14% this year. No one shoots over 20% consistently. Close to 40? Unheard of. That's basically your shooting percentage if all your shots come on breakaways and 2 on 1s.

This pace will clearly not continue. But 70+ points, seems like a decent bet.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #85
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Gaudreau is clearly better than Pettersson. Pettersson might end up better, we'll see, he's 19.

He's also shooting 39%. I know he has a good shot but that's just crazy luck. William Karlsson did his 43 goal nonsense last year with a 24% shooting percentage - he's down to 14% this year. No one shoots over 20% consistently. Close to 40? Unheard of. That's basically your shooting percentage if all your shots come on breakaways and 2 on 1s.

This pace will clearly not continue. But 70+ points, seems like a decent bet.
Yeah, both his SH% and on-ice SH% are high (~17%) and his pace is unsustainable. We almost certainly won’t see him at a 137 points/82gp pace at the end of the year, but it will be interesting to compare Pettersson and Gaudreau’s rookie years at the end of 2018-2019. It’s apples and oranges right now because Pettersson is, what, 19 (?) and Gaudreau is 25, which likely means he is at the tail end of his true, point-producing prime.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #86
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As much as I love the Flames, Pettersson is definitely better than Gaudreau. I don't think 19 year old Johnny at 106 pounds is putting up 70+ points as a rookie.

Gaudreau isn't even the best player on our team. Tkachuk is
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #87
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not just the 40% shooting percentage, the other thing is that other teams haven't done anything about him yet.

It is not uncommon for young players to come in and light it up for 20 games or so. Then, if it continues long enough, other teams start putting film together and actually develop defensive strategies to deal with the kid. Then life becomes much harder.

The other issue with Pettersson is his size. Teams will start to focus on him physically.

Fantastic player. But he's still in the freebie window.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #88
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's also the number of games in an NFL season. Not sure how many he played in Sweden? This could be a big factor for him in a first season too, if he tires out.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #89
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Pettersson is DEFINITELY better than Gaudreau"

Lol, insert Jennifer Lawrence thumbs up meme

Let's talk when the kid has played more than 10 games lol. Sure he could be amazing, but to be speaking in definitives like that after 10 games is a joke.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #90
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post

Let's talk when the kid has played more than 10 games lol. Sure he could be amazing, but to be speaking in definitives like that after 10 games is a joke.
That's nothing. There was a guy on FB claiming that EP is the best player in franchise history... It's been 9 games!
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:56 PM   #91
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The goals I've seen Petterson score are incredibly wide open looks. It's hard to imagine it will be that easy forever.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #92
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

The shiny new toy syndrome is bad enough when he's on your team... but when people are coveting a rookie on another team, who hasn't yet played 10 games? Calling him "generational"? Just a tad over the top.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #93
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post

I dunno about the whole game, but he is already better defensively than Gaudreau.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #94
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the term generational is over-used
And I think Petterson will return to a more normal level
But he put up incredible numbers in the SEL last year, which has one of the strongest NHLE comparisons.
I think he's a superstar for sure.
Not generational but in the tier below that.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #95
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Petterson is special. No way around it. Always thought he was going to be an upper echelon player in the NHL. I think Rival bias is blinding a lot of people from seeing what he is. simply from a refusal to admit that a rival has a special player.

this isn't some hype like Boeser or someone of that ilk. Petterson is the real deal (no, not James Neal). He's going to be a thorn in the Flames side for many years.

Is he as good as johnny? Not today, but he will be eventually. and likely sooner rather than later. But I also find that comparison is like comparing apples to oranges. Two very different players both incredibly skilled.

I feel ill speaking of a Canuck this way.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #96
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

From what I've seen, Pettersson is a carbon copy of Datsyuk. So If he can reach that peak, I'll put him at "flirting with 100 point, elite defensively centre with excellent hockey IQ"

Generational? lol
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #97
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Generational isn’t even something you debate after 10 games, unless it’s a Lindros, McDavid type prospect. In which case you’re still talking about a generational prospect vs. NHL player.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: