Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #121
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
did anyone watch the tune up tournament Canada played last month before the Spengler Cup and how did they do?
Come on now Girly. Don't derail this thread. We need to hear all the reasons people don't care and their rebuttals.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #122
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Why do you keep saying this?
Because the poster is a fan of Iginla? I was hoping for a miracle invite too.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #123
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn’t know Nigel Dawes became a Kazakhstan citizen.
He’s leading the league in KHL goals with 31 in 40 games. Would’ve been able to help Canada for sure.

Edit, well here it is.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...stan-1.4348449

Dustin Boyd too.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #124
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
First of all: Yes. Thanks Gary. Thanks for telling the IOC and the IIHF to pound sand on a terrible deal. That was an astute piece of work.

Secondly: You should be thanking the Players and the NHLPA. They are the primary group responsible for no NHL participation.
Thanks Locke.

Sounded like the players wanted to go:

"The players are extraordinarily disappointed and adamantly disagree with the NHL's shortsighted decision to not continue our participation in the Olympics."

https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-11819/n...games-decision

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #125
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
That is the best we could do !? That is one ugly roster. I think good WHL teams could beat them.
Lol, considering the Team Canada WJ team usually play university teams to gear up for their tournaments, I think you're vastly overrating how good a team of 16-18 year olds would fair against professional players (all who were probably above average junior players at one point).
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #126
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Didn’t know Nigel Dawes became a Kazakhstan citizen.
He’s leading the league in KHL goals with 31 in 40 games. Would’ve been able to help Canada for sure.

Edit, well here it is.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...stan-1.4348449

Dustin Boyd too.
Hah...So they'll start their military service after the Olympics?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #127
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzoo02 View Post
Of course they would. That's comparing apples to oranges and besides the point.

Womens Olympic hockey is a true best on best. The men's is not. I'm not sure what the argument here is.
Don't you mean best on rest? Because last I checked, there's only 2 competitive teams fielded every Olympics. Exciting stuff.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #128
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Because the poster is a fan of Iginla? I was hoping for a miracle invite too.
But that was settled over six weeks ago when Hockey Canada came out and said that players had to be participating in tournament or league play in order to be considered for the team, and then went on to specifically rule out an invitation to Iginla precisely because he was not in game shape, not playing, and also recovering from surgery.

How did anyone miss this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #129
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Every olympics a whole bunch of athletes who almost no one has ever heard of become household names for a couple weeks. We talk about them like we've known about them for ever, and all the intricacies of their sport, even if we didn't know it existed.

We rally around them because they wear our flag, or because of the stories of adversity they fought through, or because they had an amazing performance out of no where.

Yet we're all gonna boycott men's hockey because 'the best' aren't competing in it? the same best who get paid millions to entertain us and are quite happy doing what they do.

I'm looking forward to some great hockey in a tournament where Canada is not a guarantee for a finals appearance, the hockey should be very good to watch.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #130
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodyear View Post
Thanks Locke.

"The players are extraordinarily disappointed and adamantly disagree with the NHL's shortsighted decision to not continue our participation in the Olympics."

The League extended an offer to the players to participate, and the NHLPA declined.

Quote:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #131
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks Locke.

They didn't bring it up in the CBA negotiations during the last lockout. They didn't care enough then, or thought the NHL would never consider not going.

The NHL also tried to negotiate a deal that would have allowed them to go and avoid another lockout for a few more years. They declined.

If anything its the players' fault for not making sure Olympic participation was guaranteed in the CBA if it mattered to them that much.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #132
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But that was settled over six weeks ago when Hockey Canada came out and said that players had to be participating in tournament or league play in order to be considered for the team, and then went on to specifically rule out an invitation to Iginla precisely because he was not in game shape, not playing, and also recovering from surgery.

How did anyone miss this?
You referring to this quote?:

“As good a player as Jarome has been, as good a man as he is, if he’s not playing, it’s hard to give yourself opportunity for a fair evaluation, quite honestly, of what he might be able to do in the Olympic Games,” Hockey Canada president and CEO Tom Renney said last month. “It’s tough to go from zero to 60 as a 40-year-old.”

I don't understand why you're upset that Iginla fans were had faint hopes for a last second invite.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #133
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

What was the sticking point with the IOC? Wasn’t it the NHL wanted them to pay the insurance and let the NHL use their branding during broadcasts? I think the TV ratings this year are going be an interesting discussion point, with regards to whether or not they should have agreed to that.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #134
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks Locke.

See below. What they wanted and what they actively did to achieve that desire are very different things.

If the players wanted to go, really, really wanted to go, they were given multiple opportunities to make it happen.

They did nothing.

So they obviously didnt want to go all that badly. Despite all the posturing.

Quote:
The League extended an offer to the players to participate, and the NHLPA declined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
They didn't bring it up in the CBA negotiations during the last lockout. They didn't care enough then, or thought the NHL would never consider not going.

The NHL also tried to negotiate a deal that would have allowed them to go and avoid another lockout for a few more years. They declined.

If anything its the players' fault for not making sure Olympic participation was guaranteed in the CBA if it mattered to them that much.
Its not Bettman's fault.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #135
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the looks of the US team a lot better. They took more young guys instead of washed up NHLers. Canada is gonna get waxed IMO
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #136
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
What was the sticking point with the IOC? Wasn’t it the NHL wanted them to pay the insurance and let the NHL use their branding during broadcasts? I think the TV ratings this year are going be an interesting discussion point, with regards to whether or not they should have agreed to that.
Its a long story but overall the IOC would pay Insurance, Travel and Accommodation.

They decided not to pay that and further they declined to allow the NHL to advertise or have any affiliation or association.

So the NHL was on the hook for all of the costs and absolutely no revenue or advertising and at the same time risking their assets.

So they said no.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #137
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Secondly: You should be thanking the Players and the NHLPA. They are the primary group responsible for no NHL participation.
Because their employer wouldn’t let them go?

I can see sureloss’ point about them not making an issue of it during previous CBA negotiations, but there’s no guarantee the league would have agreed to it anyways without demanding for concessions the players didn’t want to agree to either.

Both sides could have potentially done things differently to ensure participation, but as it stands currently the league are the ones who are not allowing their players to participate, there’s no other way to put it.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #138
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I like best on best. Sue me. Not gonna watch it.

I would also not watch third rate speed skaters if somehow the best were not able to compete either.
I'm sure you won't be missed.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #139
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
You referring to this quote?:

“As good a player as Jarome has been, as good a man as he is, if he’s not playing, it’s hard to give yourself opportunity for a fair evaluation, quite honestly, of what he might be able to do in the Olympic Games,” Hockey Canada president and CEO Tom Renney said last month. “It’s tough to go from zero to 60 as a 40-year-old.”

I don't understand why you're upset that Iginla fans were had faint hopes for a last second invite.
Yes, that's it.

Who's upset? I just find it odd that some would continue to hope for something that was never going to happen. Renney's comments and Iginla's rehab made it abundantly clear that he would not be invited.

Quote:
Old 01-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #140
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Its a long story but overall the IOC would pay Insurance, Travel and Accommodation.

They decided not to pay that and further they declined to allow the NHL to advertise or have any affiliation or association.

So the NHL was on the hook for all of the costs and absolutely no revenue or advertising and at the same time risking their assets.

So they said no.

On top of all that and if I am understanding correctly....the NHL nor any media outlet other than the winning network, are allowed to use any images of the players in the Olympic tourney whatsoever. When games are airing at 5 AM MST.

That means no highlights of the NHL's players while playing hockey at its top level.

Asinine, absurd, and zero good faith bargaining position by the IOC if true.

That alone is enough for the NHL to say we're not going IMO.