Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #5621
bucksmasher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd sell high on Brodie this off season. Here's why - his stats are going to be inflated this year due to playing with Gio, we have young defensemen we dont want to lose in the expansion draft, gives Gio a chance to mentor the heck out of someone like Andersson while in his prime. I'm not a Brodie hater and he has showed he plays better on his "off side" but imo he could bring in high value picks or a deal for a scoring winger that make our second or third line lethal, while protecting our promising young d men.

Or trade kylington along the same lines.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bucksmasher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #5622
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think trading Brodie this summer would be a good move. Possibly trade him and our 1st to try and move up and get into the top 10? Moving his salary makes re-signing Tkachuk, Bennett, and a goalie much easier.

Treliving won’t be able to sign everyone and better than losing him for nothing selling high on Brodie with one year left on his deal is good asset management.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #5623
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

unless Treliving wants to see the roster intact to go for back to back cups...
Old 12-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #5624
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Prudent to move one of Hamonic or Brodie this off season.

Both are having come back seasons and with the emergence of Rasmus, Valimaki and Kill-ington the timing is perfect. It's a salary cap world, Brodie and Hamonic would be one summer away from UFA status. Be ahead of the curve, use one of those two big pieces to improve the team elsewhere.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #5625
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
Prudent to move one of Hamonic or Brodie this off season.

Both are having come back seasons and with the emergence of Rasmus, Valimaki and Kill-ington the timing is perfect. It's a salary cap world, Brodie and Hamonic would be one summer away from UFA status. Be ahead of the curve, use one of those two big pieces to improve the team elsewhere.
Problem is, the glut is on the LD, not the RD. Can any of Kylington or Valimaki play RD?
Old 12-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #5626
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outside of Gio, Hamonic is probably our best defenseman in terms of being a guy who you can count on making great defensive plays. You need guys like that especially when the playoffs roll around. If I'm moving one of the two, it's Brodie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 05:24 PM   #5627
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames' depth on RHD:

Brodie
Hamonic
Andersson
Stone
Prout

Trading Brodie would be asinine. Same with Hamonic.

If you're going to trade a Dman (which would be a nistake, you have to do it on the left side:

Giordano
Hanifin
Valimaki
Kylington

but there also, I think trading anyone is premature.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #5628
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Problem is, the glut is on the LD, not the RD. Can any of Kylington or Valimaki play RD?
Yeah, I get it but it's not something I'd be overly worried about. With so few D positions lefty righty is something a coach just can't obsess over. Kylington and Valimaki are both good smart young players who could play out of position IMO, especially on the bottom pair. Tampa currently has Sergachev on the right side bottom pair as one example.

Or other moves have to be made to correct the L-R predicament.
The Following User Says Thank You to LWcrowfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 05:34 PM   #5629
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Trading Brodie would be asinine. Same with Hamonic.
Yeah it's asinine to consider the salary cap, players UFA status, and the strength of our prospects. Totally asinine stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LWcrowfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 05:37 PM   #5630
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The young defensemen are playing well but to ask any of them to play a top 4 role so quickly is too much imo. Perhaps they get to that level before this season is up but so far not quite yet.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:39 PM   #5631
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it's asinine to consider the salary cap, players UFA status, and the strength of our prospects. Totally asinine stuff.
Yes that's right.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #5632
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Well what’s asinine about it is that we have no sure replacement for Brodie or Hamonic. Is Andersson ready to play top pairing? I’m not convinced. We dont know if any of Hanifin, Valimaki or Kylington can play the right side as effectively as Brodie. Hamonic plays the very valuable shutdown role and as good as our defensive prospects are, none of them play that strong, physical shutdown style that Hamonic brings.

Hamonic can’t be replaced from within. It’s unclear who would replace Brodie on the right side of the top pairing. So it’s very debateable whether it’s prudent to deal either of them anytime soon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #5633
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yes that's right.
You think taking the salary cap, organization depth and pending UFA status into consideration is foolish? Well okay dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Well what’s asinine about it is that we have no sure replacement for Brodie or Hamonic. Is Andersson ready to play top pairing? I’m not convinced. We dont know if any of Hanifin, Valimaki or Kylington can play the right side as effectively as Brodie. Hamonic plays the very valuable shutdown role and as good as our defensive prospects are, none of them play that strong, physical shutdown style that Hamonic brings.

Hamonic can’t be replaced from within. It’s unclear who would replace Brodie on the right side of the top pairing. So it’s very debateable whether it’s prudent to deal either of them anytime soon.
So what's the alternative? I'm genuinely curious. Inking both Brodie and Hamonic with long term expensive deals that will take them into their mid 30s? That's the kind of contract both will be looking at. That's the kind of contract they're going to get.

As for the young D. Little doubt in my mind Rasmus is ready for an expanded role some point soon. Right now no, but we're talking about this summer. He isn't the calm steadying physical presence Hamonic is to be honest that type of game is rare it seems. There are few "Hamonic's" in the NHL. Whoever steps into that role has to keep that level of play not replace the same style. Either 55-4 or 5-4 are pairings I wouldn't be afraid of entering the 2019-2020 season. Andersson on the 2nd pairing would give him "easier" opponents or putting him with Giordano might give him that Gio-bump we talk about. Good young D playing high minutes with an experienced blue liner isn't out of the question in the NHL. Perhaps the second pairing suffers from a downgrade from 24 to 4 but perhaps it's raised by the continued play of 55.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Hanifin take that next step soon, guy is killing it lately.

I understand it's awkward to talk about future moves when the team is playing so well, when both Brodie and Hamonic are playing good games away from each other but the salary cap is a thing. It cannot be ignored. The reason you draft and develop prospects is so you don't get bogged down with so many older expensive guys it handcuffs your team.

This group..
Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington - Valimaki
Stone
... wouldn't scare me next season.

It would allow us to sign Brodie long term and us Hamonic to address other weaknesses in our line up.

And with all due respect to those that disagree, there is nothing asinine about that. You can disagree with someone without suggesting they're foolish or stupid in a roundabout way.
The Following User Says Thank You to LWcrowfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #5634
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be clear, I never called you foolish or asinine, and your posts are well thought out. I simply said trading Brodie (or Hamonic) is. And that's just my opinion.

Sometime next year, it might be time to start having that conversation. But for this year, I think we should focus on the team we have, and see how they all evolve. And how the playoffs unfold.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #5635
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

None of the 3 rookies have shown that they can take Brodies minutes and be successful. Way to early to think about trading someone like him. Just cause they are doing ok on bottom pairing doesnt mean they can do the same and replace Brodies offense playing on the top pair.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #5636
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
None of the 3 rookies have shown that they can take Brodies minutes and be successful. Way to early to think about trading someone like him. Just cause they are doing ok on bottom pairing doesnt mean they can do the same and replace Brodies offense playing on the top pair.
The other thing I would add to that is, as great as Giordano is playing - and he is playing GREAT, a huge reason for it is that Brodie has gone next-level defensively. His play in his own zone, breaking up plays down low, and turning the puck north, has been off the charts.

Gio is getting the points, and deserves the accolades. But Brodie has been all-world too. He isn't getting the credit he deserves, IMO.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #5637
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It’s funny that on one hand we have posters advocating for trading futures for rentals, and then other posters that want to trade core pieces for futures. Funny the extremes.

I’m personally reluctant to do either.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #5638
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, let's make moves when we are a top 3 team in the league.

That makes sense.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #5639
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Brodie not play well when Giordano was hurt a few years back?
Old 12-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #5640
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Did Brodie not play well when Giordano was hurt a few years back?
Him and Engelland played together in 2015 after Gio got hurt, and while they got absolutely shelled, the goalies made a ton of saves. It was a pretty flukey run
Closed Thread