Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #121
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, how much more money has whistler lost today on top of getting the big middle finger eventually about that lawsuit?

If I were any working class person in Whistler I'd be so pissed right now. There's a good weeks worth of tips down the drain. Lost shifts because it won't be busy enough, etc etc.

Man, the past few years the combined levels of governments have been wacky collection of hippy dippy wank tanks screwing with everything even defying logic at times. Mayor Moonbeam in Vancouver, Lisa "Helps" in Victoria, the NDP/Green alliance and their nuttery (suing SK for going after the feds on the carbon tax) and now this wacko in whistler!

Sue your forestry industry first!
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #122
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
More companies have followed the lead of CIBC.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-oil-1.4946354
This is not following CIBCs lead this is their investor conference which they hold annually. As mentioned, there is talk to move this event permanently to Alberta but yes, cancelling outright for the upcoming conference would likely forfeit a lot of money.

This is an extremely well attended event by both clients ir CIBC and investors. Many hotel rooms are used. Restaurants are jammed. Lots of future revenue being pulled.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #123
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why don’t the O&G companies who have investments in Alberta oil co-finance a bigger budget, expertly produced, informational movie that explains all the efforts they’ve made to be world leaders in clean extraction and what not?

If done well, as long as the claims being made are all truthful, it seems entirely possible that the amount spent could be made back and then some if it effectively put to rest a lot of the uneducated negative opinions towards our provinces O&G industry.

Seems so simple that I feel I must be missing obvious reasons it’s not feasible, so curious to hear why something like this hasn’t been done.
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:57 AM   #124
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

CIBC needed to pull their conference from Whistler for a lot of reasons and one of those was investment banking business. They can't afford to have literally hundreds of millions of fee's go out the door with energy firms who want to raise money, issue debt, go public, need advisory and merger business etc. Good for them, host the conference in Canmore or Banff. Decisions have consequences in some ways and I don't think we should be getting lectured on these things, Alberta is to blame for all the problems?

Tourists fly into Vancouver and than drive to Whistler and all of a sudden Calgary based companies are the bad guys? If they want to set some environmental standards and be a leader in eco-tourism, have them set up booths leading into town and all tourists who who show up in internal combustion engine power vehicle can pay a significant fee to enter the town. Semi trucks and other transportation companies who deliver goods and services to the town can be charged an environmental levy based on a percentage of the value of goods/services. This fee can than go to reduce the towns carbon footprint. If the above happens to be bad for business, tourism and politically? Too bad! Be a town that puts environment ahead of business and politics for once and be a leader in a movement and not just wag a finger.

On another note, when it comes to the topic of reducing oil consumption and the burning of fossil fuels and general environmental "greenness" I still don't think people have an idea as to what its going to take. The challenges are going to be absolutely mind boggling to achieve and none of this will be done with these Mickey Mouse level of changes being proposed by people, governments, business and countries.

Let's take Canada and the USA who are very close in terms of incomes, wealth, democracy, economic growth, living standards, diets etc. Canada has had 151 years of economic growth and what I would deem a very fast pace and we have the USA with 242 years of economic growth at a blistering pace, a country and economy that consumes 25% of the global demand of oil.

We literally have billions of people on the planet who are trying to achieve one shred what you, me and almost all of us have in Canada and the US in terms of what I described above. Billions!! Ever notice that in all the countries where people are fleeing they are trying to go where the life is good? Canada, US, Europe etc? What do you think they are coming to Canada for? The winter weather? Yet we literally have all these growing countries being told that we now need to limit their growth and scaling up because if they do it with cheap and affordable fossil fuels and abundance of energy, energy we have all consumed for a couple of hundred years, it will be bad for the environment.

What needs to happen is that we need to curtail our own lifestyles in Canada and the US in significant ways and than help pay for the poorer countries to grow significantly and adjust for the goodness of the planet. I can't sit here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada in a 3000 sq feet house, eating 3+ square meals a day, 2 cars, going to Calgary Flames games 20+ nights a year and chowing down on a 20 oz Rib Eye steak and lecture some guy in a foreign country and his carbon footprint for his economy. Some poor soul in some country is just looking for proper shelter with proper plumbing, a 4 oz piece of meat, some respectable clothing and some hope for some economic growth. What are we suppose to tell these people? We gotta slap a fart tax on your beef cause its not good for the environment? Please.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #125
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by station View Post
Ugh just stop with this already. One virtue-signaling small town mayor does not represent the whole of BC
Quote:
Please please don’t turn this into another AB vs BC fight. I guarantee these nutters are a minority in BC and most people here would find this just as dumb as you all do.
You would be much better served by focusing your efforts on the 'nutters' with a voice who are perpetuating the idiocy, than trying to quiet the outrage that results from it.

BC/AB relations are at an all time low. The 'nutters' as you call them, are a major reason for that. If you want things to change, refocus your efforts on the problem, not the (inevitable) reaction to it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 09:31 AM   #126
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I've changed plans for vacations this year to ensure that BC doesn't get dime one of my money. I look at the labels for wines and other products and if it's labeled with anything BC I'm not buying it.

Unfortunately its a small message and not likely to move the needle, but its symbolic to me.

I right now have a ton of disdain for what the BC government is doing and their municipalities, and I wouldn't want to go to that province for any reason because of it.

If they vote out the NDP and Greens in the next election, maybe we can be friends again, but that's three years away. But the damage that those people have done to this province and this economy are frankly unforgivable.

The fact that friends of mine, personal friends of mine have been really harmed by the actions of the Federal and BC and even Quebec governments just really spikes my anger and disdain.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #127
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Meh, BC has become kind of a been there, done that, kind of place. Used to go to Penticton for years but it lost the local character, all the wineries got bought out. I don't particularly like Kelowna unless we are visiting family, its just a small urban area with a lack of resources.

The weather is overrated and I prefer to snowbird in the US instead(Maui, Palm Springs, or Arizona). Whistler was always overrated(too wet and too crowded), I prefer Lake Louise if I am going to ski.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 12-15-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #128
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Yet we literally have all these growing countries being told that we now need to limit their growth and scaling up because if they do it with cheap and affordable fossil fuels and abundance of energy, energy we have all consumed for a couple of hundred years, it will be bad for the environment.

That would be good for the environment. The best thing we could do for developing countries is provide them with all the nat gas and oil they could burn and all the infrastructure that goes with it.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...d-poor-nations

Quote:
In terms of household air pollution, which contributed to 3.8m deaths, the gap is also wide because families in poorer nations are more dependent on burning wood, coal and kerosene for cooking and heating.
Quote:
I can't sit here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada in a 3000 sq feet house, eating 3+ square meals a day, 2 cars, going to Calgary Flames games 20+ nights a year and chowing down on a 20 oz Rib Eye steak and lecture some guy in a foreign country and his carbon footprint for his economy. Some poor soul in some country is just looking for proper shelter with proper plumbing, a 4 oz piece of meat, some respectable clothing and some hope for some economic growth. What are we suppose to tell these people? We gotta slap a fart tax on your beef cause its not good for the environment? Please.

Yeah you should probably cut back on the 20 oz steaks for a lot of reasons but don't go burning your cars and house down yet. Canada isn't too bad in the big picture. We're 10th out of 180 countries on some scales of environmental stewardship. 25th on other scales. But not bad for a country this size.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #129
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Meh, BC has become kind of a been there, done that, kind of place. Used to go to Penticton for years but it lost the local character, all the wineries got bought out. I don't particularly like Kelowna unless we are visiting family, its just a small urban area with a lack of resources.

The weather is overrated and I prefer to snowbird in the US instead(Maui, Palm Springs, or Arizona). Whistler was always overrated(too wet and too crowded), I prefer Lake Louise if I am going to ski.

What the US is doing to us is worse than BC. I wouldn’t step foot in the US. Why not skip the US too?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 02:06 AM   #130
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Man, how much more money has whistler lost today on top of getting the big middle finger eventually about that lawsuit?

If I were any working class person in Whistler I'd be so pissed right now. There's a good weeks worth of tips down the drain. Lost shifts because it won't be busy enough, etc etc.

Man, the past few years the combined levels of governments have been wacky collection of hippy dippy wank tanks screwing with everything even defying logic at times. Mayor Moonbeam in Vancouver, Lisa "Helps" in Victoria, the NDP/Green alliance and their nuttery (suing SK for going after the feds on the carbon tax) and now this wacko in whistler!

Sue your forestry industry first!
Just another example of their ingrained short-sighted attitudes.

Everything they do is good, everything else is bad. Rant and rave, rinse and repeat.

They're going to lose a lot of money and major players are tired of it. Doesnt matter though, it'll be the same old story, Mayor McCheese will just blame their woes on Oil and Gas and Alberta and the 'nutters' will eat it up.

"Dont blame me for you not having any money! Its those evil O&G companies from Alberta! Its all their fault!!!"

Large swaths of BC have shown that intelligent reasoning is a lot less fun and, shamefully, a lot less effective than ignorant and indignant outrage.

I give these companies a lot of credit for effectively saying that they're tired of this BS and telling Whistler to go pound sand.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:43 AM   #131
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the compensation they win, they can buy themselves some new SUVs.

Or maybe widen the highway.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:32 PM   #132
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Never give idiots with neck beards a public forum.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #133
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousStranger View Post
Sounds like mayor Jack Crompton has been going over-board with that good BC sticky-icky since it's been legalized...
Whistler banned legal pot shops too.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:57 PM   #134
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
You would be much better served by focusing your efforts on the 'nutters' with a voice who are perpetuating the idiocy, than trying to quiet the outrage that results from it.

BC/AB relations are at an all time low. The 'nutters' as you call them, are a major reason for that. If you want things to change, refocus your efforts on the problem, not the (inevitable) reaction to it.
Lol what? Okay, next time I run into the mayor of Whistler I’ll try to mention it. My point here is that this provincial tribalism, the outrage, the boycotts, etc. may be cathartic but ultimately accomplish nothing. Focusing on the far left fringe as representative of BC is like someone from BC posting some bs from Rebel Media and saying it represents Alberta.

Again I will say that I feel for you guys. I lived in Calgary for 15 years, I have tons of family and friends and I still have a house there, I’m a lifelong Flames fan, etc. so I care deeply about what is happening there. But we have to face head on that there is a major collision of priorities, a potential existential threat for both our resource-heavy economy and the security of or even the very existence of humanity. This is serious **** and we’ve been dragging our feet and politicizing this for far too long. I appreciate that there has actually been some really good discussion in this thread and I hope we can have more of that going forward.
station is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to station For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 11:28 PM   #135
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But we have to face head on that there is a major collision of priorities, a potential existential threat for both our resource-heavy economy and the security of or even the very existence of humanity.
Well, no, there isn't a collision of that type, because if our "resource-heavy economy" were completely shut down tomorrow, it would make no appreciable difference to the security or existence of humanity. There would still be demand for products that create emissions contributing to climate change. Until that demand problem changes, no attempt to undermine Alberta's energy economy will matter at all, regardless of how successful it may be.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 06:48 AM   #136
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumour on Twitter this morning is that the mayor of Victoria sent a letter asking for money to Chevron also.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #137
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Climate Change is demand driven. The only current solution is to make Carbon expensive enough that the alternatives are equally priced. Then over a period of 25 years or so the problem will solve itself.

The most likely solution for climate change will be Carbon Scrubbing from the atmosphere as it involves no massive change from the current world. Costs are coming down right now between $100-$150 per tonne.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 07:19 AM   #138
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Focusing on the far left fringe as representative of BC is like someone from BC posting some bs from Rebel Media and saying it represents Alberta.
If not far left fringe, how would you describe your provincial government and the 17 other municipalities that sent similar letters? Hate to say it but the common sense norm is getting pretty small in bc.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 07:24 AM   #139
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Climate Change is demand driven. The only current solution is to make Carbon expensive enough that the alternatives are equally priced. Then over a period of 25 years or so the problem will solve itself.

The most likely solution for climate change will be Carbon Scrubbing from the atmosphere as it involves no massive change from the current world. Costs are coming down right now between $100-$150 per tonne.
How scalable is that? If they can built a test one, that's one thing, but is it reasonable to build enough of them to scrub any useful amount? Or would it require tens of thousands of scrubber plants?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #140
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
How scalable is that? If they can built a test one, that's one thing, but is it reasonable to build enough of them to scrub any useful amount? Or would it require tens of thousands of scrubber plants?

Check out Carbon Engineering, the company funded by Bill Gates and Murry Edwards.

http://carbonengineering.com/