Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #61
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone suggested Magic the Gathering? If you like video games, Magic is likely to appeal to you as well. You can play at home with friends or if you're a more competitive type, you can get into tournaments.

A couple warnings though, if you want your hobby to help you meet women, then Magic is no good and it's likely a more expensive suggestion than the fixing up cars suggestion above. If neither of those are big problems for you, then I highly recommend it!
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #62
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Photography, woodcarving (I usually only do a few small carvings a year), reading, camping/hiking and study Japanese (now and then).

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #63
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone riff bad movies in an activity similar to the premise of MST3K? Premise wise, in a nutshell, it's supposed to be like heckling a bad movie.

I found out a buddy of mine does this and I've been curious about what it's like to do this as an actual activity.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:42 PM   #64
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Does anyone riff bad movies in an activity similar to the premise of MST3K? Premise wise, in a nutshell, it's supposed to be like heckling a bad movie.

I found out a buddy of mine does this and I've been curious about what it's like to do this as an actual activity.
Very nice!
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #65
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Has anyone suggested Magic the Gathering? If you like video games, Magic is likely to appeal to you as well. You can play at home with friends or if you're a more competitive type, you can get into tournaments.

A couple warnings though, if you want your hobby to help you meet women, then Magic is no good and it's likely a more expensive suggestion than the fixing up cars suggestion above. If neither of those are big problems for you, then I highly recommend it!
Along that same vain, Dungeons and Dragons is an excellent hobby, Its a little cheaper than Magic, and it has activities that go along with it that make it fun. If you DM you can spend time drawing maps, making models, thinking of story arks and puzzles. It's also a very social hobby so you can do some of it with friends. There is a learning curve but that is part of the fun.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #66
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

The part that eats away at me for MTG was the fact it was a money pit and at times it's like a horrid gambling addiction when you're trying to see what kind of goodies you can get in boosters. Also, certain decks cannot be played after a while (only the latest are legal after a while due to certain mechanics) so you have to top up and create new decks as time goes on. Don't get me wrong. It was really fun, it just wasn't cheap IMO as I was pouring $50-100 bucks to put together decks with cool combos even with the trading of and cashing out of older cards. That's not even counting the cash your buddies may spend if you both enter the collector card game scene. I cashed out my cards about a year ago. I didn't even want to keep them for nostalgia.

D&D on the other hand I've never played. My brother and his friends do and enjoy it. IIRC, it's something like $50 a book and on average they acquire a book once every 3-4 months or so. That's not bad at all for upkeep. I think D&D has started growing again after the world was reintroduced to it in the Stranger things series. I had been contemplating learning how to play and maybe learning how to develop DM resources (I'm less interested in DMing, but more interested in developing the campaigns), but I've decided on working on a few bigger ideas lately, though I might revisit the D&D idea later.

1. I'm interested in working on a locked room idea.
2. I have a New Years resolution for 2018 where I committed to writing a story. I have two partial drafts on the table and I need to polish them off before 2019.
3. My buddy told me about a cool charity concept called "Extra Life" which partners with the Children's miracle network. We are working on a concept to get ready for the 2019 campaign. It's a concept where you and a team play video games for 24 hours, stream and collect funds for the Extra Life charity.

I have way too many ideas in my head/hobbies and just not enough finish on a ton of them.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #67
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
D&D on the other hand I've never played. My brother and his friends do and enjoy it. IIRC, it's something like $50 a book and on average they acquire a book once every 3-4 months or so. That's not bad at all for upkeep. I think D&D has started growing again after the world was reintroduced to it in the Stranger things series. I had been contemplating learning how to play and maybe learning how to develop DM resources (I'm less interested in DMing, but more interested in developing the campaigns), but I've decided on working on a few bigger ideas lately, though I might revisit the D&D idea later.

Sentry Box has sold over 2000 copies of the new D&D 5th Edition players handbook. D&D type podcasts are huge - ex. Glass Cannon, Nerd Poker.

Last edited by troutman; 12-14-2018 at 01:05 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #68
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Just curious as to what people on CP do for hobbies. I'm trying to find more things to do on the weekends/weekday evenings that aren't just me going out and getting wasted with my friends but I'm feeling kind of stumped. It doesn't help that I have the fine-motor skills of a toddler, so anything that's kind of arts & crafts, building stuff, etc., is pretty well out.

I guess the things I primarily do are video games and exercise (either going to the gym, running, or drop-in sports) but I find that still leaves me with a lot of free time. Been debating trying to learn a new language or maybe taking some investment classes.
Learn to ride a motorcycle?

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #69
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I realize its likely very cliche. But for me the main 3 are snowboarding, golf, and guitar.

Two are outside, and year round, the other is indoors. All 3 can be painfully frustrating at first but after many years of practice and failure these activities are super therapeutic for me now. Especially playing guitar.

So maybe depends on your goal here. Want to be physically active? Mentally active? Both? Neither?
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #70
Torch
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Breeding them? Raising them? Training them? Riding them? Betting on them?
Getback I own two , and 50% of three others.
I own broodmares and a stallion.
We race currently at Century downs, on weekends I help train.

Owning racehorses has been a blast.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #71
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Natural History. Birdwatching / Botany.

Get yourself a decent bird/plant/tree book and tell yourself you're going to learn a plant a week just from a walk. That plant you've walked past all your life but never bothered to find out what it was.

Once you've got your eye/ear tuned in you'll be amazed by the stuff you're now aware of and notice that you'd have otherwise breezed past.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 08:32 AM   #72
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to build model cars as a kid. I've been getting the urge to get back into it and since I love military history I think I'm going to get into doing some model tanks first.

Other than that I tinker in the garage a lot, working on cars. Video Games and guitar takes up Free Time too
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #73
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's been said but learning a musical instrument can open open up a lot of doors. You could find others to jam with or form a band. You could take singing lessons and join a choir. Are you artistic? Can get into a painting, etc. Lots of hobbies and just a matter of finding something that may be a challenging yet enjoyable.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #74
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I want to know what hobbies you picked up. Training to be an apiarist? Free diving? Drawing penises and other lewd drawings by cycling/running on Strava?
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #75
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you considered learning Russian and joining the Bolshoi?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #76
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

What, virtue signalling on the internet isn't enough for you?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #77
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I didn't like horse meat when I had it.
Wouldn’t expect it to be good. They are made of glue after all
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 08:02 AM   #78
Puddy27
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've taken up gardening and it's quite enjoyable for me. Makes the yard look nicer and it's a decent exercise if you're at it long enough.

Now that it's winter I thought what the hell, I'll try mini indoor greenhouses and started to plant seeds from last year's flowers with my kids. They've all done really well and we have lots of flowers, tomato plants and tons of fresh herbs now. Really cool to watch them grow from tiny seeds into these huge plants with just a little light, water and love.

It's not my thing but you could also grow the jazz cabbage if the mood should strike you lol.
Puddy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:11 AM   #79
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought this super cheap BB gun and pellet combo today and I had fun shooting makeshift targets in the basement. I would suggest that you don't have anything that might randomly choke on the pellet if they're left around though, or at least have some type of back up plan to clean them up in case you don't find them all after shooting them (ie: robot vacuum).

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/32136...-spring-pistol

For $15, I didn't think I could go wrong.