Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #461
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

As some of you may have seen, last night I hit my new goal of 2500 km for the year. (Original goal was 2200 km) I have a lot of you guys to thank for getting me there. From the helping me not buy a bike at CT last year, direct encouragement here and indirect encouragement in posting your own goals and challenges.

It was a slow but decent ride last night; now that I know what paths are cleared and which aren't. However towards the end I had some jerk yell at me. Now don't get me wrong, I do occasionally take a couple of liberties on my bike, however in this case I hadn't. New route has me coming off the path into Douglasdale by the baseball diamonds. Most drivers are courteous and give me a wide berth if possible; which I appreciate. I was turning from SB Douglasdale Blvd on the path beside EB 130th ave. (map)

I let the car that was closing on me pass, and went into the left lane to turn left. I even had my arm out to signal. The other guy was driving north on Mt McKenzie Dr, and also turning east onto 130th. We had the turn arrow so we went. This guy didn't really stop at the light and blocked my way onto the path. I had to squeeze in front of him. He yelled at me to "decide if you are going to be on the road or the sidewalk!" I yelled back "It's a bike path you ###hole!" (I know it's a shared path, I had a 1/4 second to think of my reply.)

I don't think I was in the wrong there, was I? It also has me thinking, should the city mark when there are bike or shared paths so motorists know? I think I've seen that marked in a couple of spots. (Millican Road is one.)
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #462
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

You were signalling, the guy was being a clown. No need for him to say anything to you.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #463
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
You were signalling, the guy was being a clown. No need for him to say anything to you.
Yup!

Doesn't matter what you've got to say, how right you think are, or how egregious the (often imagined) offence — as soon as you roll down the window to "inform" a cyclist of what they should be doing, you're the ######bag.

Last edited by Flames0910; 12-05-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #464
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to see that vicious north wind has swung around to the south, just in time for the ride home.

Sorry anyone going the opposite direction.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #465
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Nice to see that vicious north wind has swung around to the south, just in time for the ride home.

Sorry anyone going the opposite direction.
God dammit.. Headwind both ways.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:49 PM   #466
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
God dammit.. Headwind both ways.
Think about the positive side of it. I get a tailwind both ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #467
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Agreed. No need for him to say anything but I can understand what he was thinking. In this case you are turning onto the path which is located past the roadway and not onto the road itself. To do that you almost need to be on the crosswalk and the appearance could be that you were more of a pedestrian than a bike at that point.

But WTF, it's not like it was a traffic jam or anything and you may have held up his turn by a couple of seconds at best (and actually you didn't if he had a red light). So totally un-necessary on his part in my opinion, and I say that as a card carrying member of the vehicle commuting club.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #468
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was some garbage dual headwind rides today. Boo to that.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #469
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Good news for Canadian cycling fans. Annoying that it's going to be in Edmonton.

Edmonton Velodrome Project Receives $16M in Government Funding

Quote:
Edmonton will be home to a one-of-a-kind recreation facility which will include only the third indoor velodrome in North America and the first dedicated indoor triathlon training and competition centre outside of Europe.
http://www.canadiancyclist.com/daily...3nm8I0Ye-Alv7A
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #470
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So 95% of my yearly exposure to shopping malls happens in December.

Is anyone else having trouble with dress clothes these days? All pants are being made more form fitting, which doesn't work well with mountain bike thighs. Are there specific brands/stores with more thigh material but doesn't flap around like old-man pants? Never had this problem until this season.

(really not attempting a humble brag about having meaty thighs... legitimately concerned that I can't find pants anymore)
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #471
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Apparently Lululemon of all places makes some dress pants that fit a more athletic leg.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #472
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I hate that too. I found MEC pants started to do that a couple years ago. For work pants I find the Dockers I get at Costco are good. Bonus is they are super cheap. Not high end, but comfy, fit well, light weight and did I mention cheap?
Old 12-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #473
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Huh, didn't know lululemon made dress pants. Will check it out.

Have never bought clothes from Costco... have to go tonight anyways, will have a look.

Thanks!
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #474
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to always avoid the centre section at Costco until I found a Flames Jersey for $30. Then I started poking around and found they had name brand stuff for cheap! I've bought jeans there that are nice for lazing about, as they have some stretch. Also about $20.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #475
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i find i have trouble with some pants fitting properly in the calf area - i blame my love of cycling for this problem
Old 12-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #476
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I like the Du/er relaxed fit jeans. I can't get my legs in the slim fit. Pricey, but super comfortable. MEC carries them I think. I bought my first pair on sale down in Kalispell, and liked them so much, I ordered two more pairs off of the website when they were on sale.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #477
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Funny- I had been looking at the same thing as I'm finding most of my dress pants are too snug in the thigh. The ones that fit me really well are Kenneth Cole Reaction, however the pair I have that fit well are several years old. Now all I seem to see in that line are the "slim fit."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #478
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Funny- I had been looking at the same thing as I'm finding most of my dress pants are too snug in the thigh. The ones that fit me really well are Kenneth Cole Reaction, however the pair I have that fit well are several years old. Now all I seem to see in that line are the "slim fit."
The Costco Kenneth Cole Reaction pants are awesome, cheap and fit my cycling legs/beer waist. They are cheap and looks good. Navy, Black, 2 Grey Colors. The Buffalo Jeans from there are great too.

I think Costco being based in the US has bigger sizing in general. I can always find clothes in the states as I am smallish there and XXL in Canada. HA!!
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyO For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #479
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was that you in the car today at 32nd and 12th Habernac?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 08:07 AM   #480
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did the Glenmore Reservoir loop yesterday afternoon.......very passable all the way around. There are spots in the Weaselhead that're bare pavement on one side and packed snow on the other side (for X-Country skiers I guess?). Also, on the south side by the sailing club, I can't vouch for the low path that hugs the waterline as I took the combo cycling/walking path.
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pope04 For This Useful Post: