Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 12-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #461
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Gio basically suspended for tripping.
While Backlund gets concussed from a direct shot to the head, and not even a penalty.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #462
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
While Backlund gets concussed from a direct shot to the head, and not even a penalty.
And Kunitz gets no supplemental discipline for his dirty elbow on Hamonic.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:08 AM   #463
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

This might've been covered but is there a reason why neither player appealed their suspensions?

Isn't that usually the case to cut the suspension in half?
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #464
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
This might've been covered but is there a reason why neither player appealed their suspensions?

There's not enough time to make an appeal worth it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #465
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
And Kunitz gets no supplemental discipline for his dirty elbow on Hamonic.

I think the DOPS thought the 5 and a game from the initial on-ice call was enough. Not saying it’s right, though.

I’ve had a bit of time to sit and dwell on the suspensions. The Lomberg suspension is 100% right, and I’m glad he did what he did too. A role player like that standing up for a teammate the way he did is great to see.

The Gio suspension is a game too much, in my mind. Gio has a history of sticking out his leg, and wether the knee actually makes contact is somewhat moot. He stuck his leg out before, and he’s done it again. It should have been one game, and not two, but it is still a suspendable offence in my mind.

The fact that Dumba didn’t get anything is what is most concerning to me. He injured a guy with a check to the head and totally gets away with it. Bull. I know Backs put himself in a vulnerable position, but the player making the hit is also responsible for not hitting a player in a vulnerable position, aren’t they? I mean he lined him up from the blue line, and shouldered him in the head. There is absolutely no need for that in today’s game. If you see numbers you aren’t supposed to hit the guy, so if he’s crouched down shouldn’t the same thing apply? He can still make contact, but he doesn’t have to throw everything he’s got into the hit and explode the guy, does he? I’m not aware of previous transgressions for Dumba, but I think a hit like that should warrant a suspension for a few games, especially with how the league likes to dole punishment according to injury.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #466
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah that's my logic too. Even though it sucks, it's just two games this weekend ... just get it over with and move on.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:13 AM   #467
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post

The cutting of the suspension seems to be the trend lately if you can get the appeal to a neutral arbitrator.

However per the CBA, if the suspension is 5 games or less then the appeal process only involves appealing to Bettman who is unlikely to reduce anything and his decision is final.

Only if the suspension is for more than 5 games can you appeal to an arbitrator after Bettman's decision.

Last edited by sureLoss; 12-09-2018 at 10:02 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #468
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
I think the DOPS thought the 5 and a game from the initial on-ice call was enough. Not saying it’s right, though.

I’ve had a bit of time to sit and dwell on the suspensions. The Lomberg suspension is 100% right, and I’m glad he did what he did too. A role player like that standing up for a teammate the way he did is great to see.

The Gio suspension is a game too much, in my mind. Gio has a history of sticking out his leg, and wether the knee actually makes contact is somewhat moot. He stuck his leg out before, and he’s done it again. It should have been one game, and not two, but it is still a suspendable offence in my mind.

The fact that Dumba didn’t get anything is what is most concerning to me. He injured a guy with a check to the head and totally gets away with it. Bull. I know Backs put himself in a vulnerable position, but the player making the hit is also responsible for not hitting a player in a vulnerable position, aren’t they? I mean he lined him up from the blue line, and shouldered him in the head. There is absolutely no need for that in today’s game. If you see numbers you aren’t supposed to hit the guy, so if he’s crouched down shouldn’t the same thing apply? He can still make contact, but he doesn’t have to throw everything he’s got into the hit and explode the guy, does he? I’m not aware of previous transgressions for Dumba, but I think a hit like that should warrant a suspension for a few games, especially with how the league likes to dole punishment according to injury.

No....at least s long as it isn't a late or blindside/from behind hit.

Dumba steamrolled Backlund for sure, but it was a completely legal and good hit. The only reason Backlund is sitting in the dark room right now is because he made himself small and bent forward and was coming right through the middle of the ice...thats on Backlund and nothing to do with Dumba.

Hockey is a contact sport where it's not only legal but encouraged to bodycheck the opposition. That's all that happened here, it just had an unfortunate side effect this time.

Dumba didn't and shouldn't have received any penalty and certainly any further discipline for a completely solid, legal and clean body check.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #469
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haven't heard a definitive diagnoses from the Flames on Backs yet.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #470
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Mangiapane, Jankowski, Bennett, Neal, Ryan, Czarnik, Andersson, Kylington

Show us what you've got, boys
Andrew Mangiapane is bound to get his 1st NHL tally soon, hopefully he continues to see duty on the powerplay!
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote