Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Mangiapane has played in only 10 NHL games in a couple of different stints. Dube has been able to play in 14 straight games collecting 2 assists. I'm not sure how you can say he's been markedly better. I just don't see the rush with Dube especially seeing how he's getting physically abused. Jankowski for that matter could probably benefit from playing top minutes in the AHL. It was Brad Treliving after all that said that there's never been a player that had his development hurt from spending too much time in the AHL.
Mangiapane was mainly up in one continuous stint, from Dec. 31 to Feb. 3, though he obviously sat for some games. But moreover, he wasn't even getting a shot on goal in most games and just looked behind the play.

Dube forechecks and drives play in a fourth line role much better than Mangiapane did. Gets shots on gola almost every game. Is a plus player FWIW (and often the best player on his line IMO). As for physicality, Dube is slightly bigger than Mangiapane.

As for not being able to overcook a player, I think Brad was just saying that to justify keeping guys down when he couldn't bring them up (he was probably talking about Jankowski IIRC, and then he brought him up asap). I disagree on this point anyway. I think there's plenty of players who got too comfortable with the pace of play and the lack of defensive structure in the AHL. I also think there's players who are successful out of the gate who would have been spinning their wheels in the AHL.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #22
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first hit Dube got hurt on was a dirty play. The second one was flukey. He's not getting thrown around just needs a bit better awareness. He'll be fine.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #23
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Mangiapane was mainly up in one continuous stint, from Dec. 31 to Feb. 3, though he obviously sat for some games. But moreover, he wasn't even getting a shot on goal in most games and just looked behind the play.

Dube forechecks and drives play in a fourth line role much better than Mangiapane did. Gets shots on gola almost every game. Is a plus player FWIW (and often the best player on his line IMO). As for physicality, Dube is slightly bigger than Mangiapane.

As for not being able to overcook a player, I think Brad was just saying that to justify keeping guys down when he couldn't bring them up (he was probably talking about Jankowski IIRC, and then he brought him up asap). I disagree on this point anyway. I think there's plenty of players who got too comfortable with the pace of play and the lack of defensive structure in the AHL. I also think there's players who are successful out of the gate who would have been spinning their wheels in the AHL.
Well Dube hasn't exactly been successful out of the gate. To me he's been a lot like Lazar in that the skates are always moving but it's not coming together for him. I think he's going to be better than Lazar but I also think it hurt Lazar to keep him in the NHL when he should have been in the AHL. Same with Bennett. I'm of the belief that skilled guys are better off playing in top line roles in the AHL than 4th line NHL. It's not like Dube in the lineup will have a major bearing on the Flames 2018/19 record so if they keep him up then fine, if they send him down great.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-05-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well Dube hasn't exactly been successful out of the gate. To me he's been a lot like Lazar in that the skates are always moving but it's not coming together for him. I think he's going to be better than Lazar but I also think it hurt Lazar to keep him in the NHL when he should have been in the AHL. Same with Bennett. I'm of the belief that skilled guys are better off playing in top line roles in the AHL than 4th line NHL. It's not like Dube in the lineup will have a major bearing on the Flames 2018/19 record so if they keep him up then fine, if they send him down great.
I think he's been quite successful in his role. He just hasn't scored a bunch of points. I think he's way more effective on the forecheck and keeping the opposition in their own zone, creating chances and getting back.

I just disagree that top line minutes in the AHL do a whole lot. I think they can stunt growth. Is Mangiapane better today than a year ago?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #25
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

He should go down imo. Czarnik back in and Peluso can sit
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote