Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #41
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'd be happy if he got more... i would agree that I am not 100% sold on him as a #1... but having him play a bit more to ease him up to see if he can handle it should be what calgary does.

I like Smith and think he's a good guy, but Smith is 36 and without a contract next year.

Rittich should be playing 40% of the games min imo just to see what calgary should do in the off season...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:40 PM   #42
Madrox
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think we're at the point where it would be good to have them just straight up split the games. Smith still has some gas in the tank, but he's getting old, and Rittich hasn't quite shown that he's ready to be the guy, but he's got some solid performances under his belt. Rittich seemed to struggle under the pressure of being the #1, and Smith probably needs a few more nights off, why not literally just swap them game to game until it doesn't seem like a good idea?
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madrox For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 10:46 PM   #43
JT96912
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Another reason not to start a thread when the Flames are losing.
That's pretty funny of you to say that. I started this thread on October 21. But you are right IF I started it tonight...
JT96912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:29 PM   #44
Breakfast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Smith is hardly NHL calibre at this point, let alone a full on starter. Rittich gives us the best chance to win, and that’s who you should be playing most nights.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:42 PM   #45
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Smith looks absolutely lost out there... He's going down early on every chance in close and teams are easily scoring, bad rebound control and whats worse is pucks are just going through him with the new chest guard.

That said... It's a long season and everybody has bad stretches. Here's hoping he turns it around. I like him and I think he has it in him to get it together for one last stretch run.

I thought even when he was winning last year Rittich didn't look that amazing let alone when he fell apart down the stretch. This year he looks so improved. His style is all about positioning and he has it down this year. He will never be a reflex first goalie but his lateral movement especially looks better. And his rebound control has been good as well.

I still don't know if his glove and blocker are quick enough to ever be more than replacement level, he barely moves on shots over the shoulders sometimes, but even a replacement level starter should get the flames into the playoffs with all the scoring up front.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:46 PM   #46
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd definitely play Rittich more often. Thing is, you don't have to commit anything more than a game or two at a time. There's obviously a concern with playing Rittich a starter's workload, but I think if you dole it out one game at a time the risk is pretty low. You don't have to commit to Rittich getting 3 games in a row until he's played and succeeded in the first 2.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 01:15 AM   #47
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'm not! He completely fell apart as the starter last year after Smith got hurt.
I disagree. We need to go to a 1A/1B system that was run under coach Hartley. Play the hot tender and switch when he goes cold.

Rittich has proven this year that he deserves an equal chance as a starter.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:48 AM   #48
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrox View Post
I think we're at the point where it would be good to have them just straight up split the games. Smith still has some gas in the tank, but he's getting old, and Rittich hasn't quite shown that he's ready to be the guy, but he's got some solid performances under his belt. Rittich seemed to struggle under the pressure of being the #1, and Smith probably needs a few more nights off, why not literally just swap them game to game until it doesn't seem like a good idea?
I agree with this idea or maybe the “play until you lose” idea with intelligent modifications. Like, as an obvious example, smith wouldn’t play after tonight, even though he won. I think it’s a good idea to ease the pressure of being the starter onto Rittich, if that is indeed how the scales tip, and I believe Smith’s confidence/ego may cause his play to improve if he felt his grip on the start’s net slipping.
jessnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #49
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Out of 39 NHL goalies who qualify Rittich is 3rd in save pct with a .939 while Smith is 39th with a .871
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robbie111 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #50
Ulrith
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
Out of 39 NHL goalies who qualify Rittich is 3rd in save pct with a .939 while Smith is 39th with a .871
I'm convinced. Start Smith again!

...wait...

But seriously, he needs to sit for a while. He lets in (at absolute minimum) 1 soft goal a game. His rebound control is atrocious- he kicks out huge juicy rebounds on the most basic of shots. He isn't tracking the puck through traffic and if the D screws up, it's definitely in the back of the net because he's certainly not bailing anyone out. He needs to sit and get some practice time in. Hopefully he gets back to the goalie we saw for half a season last year, but at this point I'm not terribly optimistic.
Ulrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #51
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post

“So I don’t think it’s much of a competition,” Peters told reporters after pointing out Smith’s lackluster performance. “We’ve got a guy who’s well ahead of the other guy. That’s what I see and the numbers back that up. “So when he gets in another game, you better play. You better earn some respect from your teammates. Your teammates are out there working their bag off. You better get some saves and a timely save at the right time wouldn’t hurt.”

Peter continues, "Well I just looked it up, look up any goalies that have played 10 games in the national hockey league in the top 60 and their save percentages, I know who's 60. There's 30 teams. Not good enough"
Old 11-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #52
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Smith has been one of the worst goalies in the league yet the Flames are somehow 2nd in the West, maybe Calgary would've been 1st with a few more Rittich starts.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #53
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Smith has been one of the worst goalies in the league yet the Flames are somehow 2nd in the West, maybe Calgary would've been 1st with a few more Rittich starts.
Maybe. Who knows. Which losses turn into wins? Not Pittburgh. Not Montreal.

Maybe the Washington game, that's one point. I guess you could argue the Vancouver and Nashville losses. Maybe St. Louis but the Flames' skaters kinda stunk in that one as well.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote