Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2024, 10:44 AM   #141
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
It was 2077 at the start of the show.
Just seemed strange that this was a world with Mech suits but without flatscreen TV's. That kind of thing is part of the absurdist charm.

I want more episodes... like pronto (which means we'll have to wait like two years or something).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 11:04 AM   #142
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I remember correctly (keeping in mind it's been a very long time since I knew such things) I believe in the Fallout universe the American government goes all out with propaganda promoting Americana after ww2 in an attempt to keep (or return too later maybe?) that type of culture. In one of the games you can find records at the Pentagon about trying to re-enforce that era of American culture and exceptionalism.

Also the Transistor is never invented (Or at least invented very late). Those are the two big things that explain why it's the future but with 50s-60s aesthetic and crazy nuclear-powered everything vacuum tube technology

Last edited by btimbit; 05-01-2024 at 11:06 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 11:37 AM   #143
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Just seemed strange that this was a world with Mech suits but without flatscreen TV's. That kind of thing is part of the absurdist charm.

I want more episodes... like pronto (which means we'll have to wait like two years or something).
There is lore in the Fallout universe that transistors and microchips were either not invented, or were, but not produced in the same way we consider them today. Some of that has to do with the universe of fallout, and the lack of an end to the Cold War.

In the end, it kind of captures that 50's googie architecture at a time when using nuclear weapons was considered much more viable and dangerous.

(sorry btimbit already covered some of that
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 11:52 AM   #144
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
In the end, it kind of captures that 50's googie architecture at a time when using nuclear weapons was considered much more viable and dangerous.
It kind of reminds me of those old pulp magazine type sci-fi stories.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:45 PM   #145
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
There is lore in the Fallout universe that transistors and microchips were either not invented, or were, but not produced in the same way we consider them today. Some of that has to do with the universe of fallout, and the lack of an end to the Cold War.

(sorry btimbit already covered some of that
They seem to have pretty advanced computer, AI, android, and communications technology. Just their user interface went in a totally different direction, remaining more text based. They never invented LCDs or hi-def and colour TVs remained a high end and ultra expensive tech?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 05:16 PM   #146
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
They seem to have pretty advanced computer, AI, android, and communications technology. Just their user interface went in a totally different direction, remaining more text based. They never invented LCDs or hi-def and colour TVs remained a high end and ultra expensive tech?
Pretty much, yes.

there is lore there - but its mostly a choice by the game developers to present that era of sci-fi
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 06:57 PM   #147
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

And fun fact, in the games all the cars are nuclear powered so they're very explodey. Makes you wonder what car crashes were like
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:36 PM   #148
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're fusion powered, not fission.