Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #12981
Fighting Banana Slug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I really don't give a damn that teachers are at home and perhaps very unproductive. What does annoy the hell out of me though are several teachers I know of in real life or a friend of a friend posting novels on Facebook about how teachers are working and not screwing around and how Covid 19 is serious.

OK. Those other teachers might be working, but you the teacher posting novels on Facebook, instagramming Covid 19 preparation and pics, obviously aren't working.
Yeah, that would be like posting on an on-line hockey forum in the middle of the work day.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #12982
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Saw two rats in my backyard today. So that was awful... damn it I miss Alberta.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #12983
DoubleF
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Yeah, that would be like posting on an on-line hockey forum in the middle of the work day.
It would be like posting that I'm working hard and not screwing around at work on a hockey forum in the middle of a work day. I'm making no such claim.

If someone wants to kick back or dick around, go for it. But don't write a novel about how you're not dicking around or kicking back or whatever, especially when your position is right in the media spotlight. That's just hilarious levels of poor tact in terms of self implication.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-26-2020 at 05:12 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #12984
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Our friends' daughter goes to a charter school. She started online learning last Monday - didn't miss a day. Presumably they had people working on a plan before schools were closed. We haven't heard a word from our two schools in the public system. So yes, it's remarkable how much more nimble smaller organizations can be.

I told my kids last week was their spring break, so we started an at-home curriculum I devised this week. I'm curious to see what the CBE rolls out. I hope they'll at least communicate the plan early next week.

CBE has been sending out emails about online content that is available right now to keep kids somewhat occupied.

https://cbe.ab.ca/programs/curriculu...s/default.aspx
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:32 PM   #12985
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
That's the part that really ground my gears. So much for everyone pulling together in a time of need.

Many teachers wouldn't do this fortunately.
They shouldn’t be answering emails during spring break week. Jesus you guys. Give it until next week when they’re actually supposed to be in class before you start to lose your marbles.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #12986
flamingred89
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
They shouldn’t be answering emails during spring break week. Jesus you guys. Give it until next week when they’re actually supposed to be in class before you start to lose your marbles.
Umm sure. But these are pretty unprecedented times. You’d think that they could maybe be flexible and postpone that precious spring break. Realistically, in class instruction is still weeks away, so they’ll have lots of downtime to make up for it.

Now teachers will “return” next week and who know’s how long it will take for them to put something together. So it could be into the 2nd or 3rd week of April before students have lesson plans.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 06:33 PM   #12987
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
these are pretty unprecedented times.
This ####ing phrase is grinding my gears.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #12988
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Umm sure. But these are pretty unprecedented times. You’d think that they could maybe be flexible and postpone that precious spring break. Realistically, in class instruction is still weeks away, so they’ll have lots of downtime to make up for it.

Now teachers will “return” next week and who know’s how long it will take for them to put something together. So it could be into the 2nd or 3rd week of April before students have lesson plans.
I'm sure your kids will be fied with a bit of extra time off.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #12989
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If you are that worried here is a free lesson plan for you next week. Works for grades 3-12

- read a few chapters in a book
- summerize the chapters
- write whatever you want
- Print our mad minute sheets from web
- pick an animal, learn about it, draw a poster that explains habitat, food supply, threats, etc, include a picture of the animal.
- pick a country - learn and write about it.

That should cover you for a week or so and a week of self directed study is probably good for kids of any age anyway.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #12990
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have 2 in Catholic system. All set up, and working away. Almost at times too much for them to do, with balancing my working at home.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:25 PM   #12991
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just fully cancelled the trip my dad and I we’re taking to Scotland in May. So frustrating. We were looking forward to it for a very long time. Going to try again in May 2021.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:35 AM   #12992
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
CBE has been sending out emails about online content that is available right now to keep kids somewhat occupied.

https://cbe.ab.ca/programs/curriculu...s/default.aspx
Yes, that's what I used to put together my own curriculum.

However, kids in charter and Catholic schools have begun actual online teaching already - with their teachers presenting the proper grade-level curriculum, I imagine some method of grading, etc.

I'm assuming the CBE is going to roll out something similar at some point. But they haven't communicated anything about it - not even 'we're going to roll out online teaching on March 30.' Just silence since that initial 'here are some good learning resources' email almost two weeks ago.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:59 AM   #12993
81MC
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nothing worse than having an urgent request for data that you conveniently have prepared, only to have your computer go through an entire meltdown/forced download/mandatory restart/security patch fix/restart/freeze sequence.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #12994
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The name of a store in Brentwood mall bothers me every time I see its sign. It is called "Buy Buy Baby". Presumably a store for baby stuff.

First, the name doesn't make sense. It sounds more like it is telling the baby to buy, or you are actually purchasing babies.

Second, the "Buy Buy" part - I hate that it is so brazen in the commercialization of being a new parent. Yes, parents are susceptible to buy stuff for their newborns, but don't be so up front about it.

Third, the name was obviously chosen because it is a homonym of "bye bye baby", which is a terrible sentiment for parents.

There's nothing redeeming about that name. I can't imagine how someone thought it was a good idea.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 12:23 PM   #12995
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Nothing worse than having an urgent request for data that you conveniently have prepared, only to have your computer go through an entire meltdown/forced download/mandatory restart/security patch fix/restart/freeze sequence.
The Microsoft knows best. It matters not what you were doing, NOW is the time.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #12996
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Skip the Dishes driver refused to come in my building. He left my food on top of the intercom. Gross.

Is this their policy now? I’ve been ordering takeout a lot lately to support local restaurants and the last couple times they left it at my front door. The support queue is huge so maybe I’m not alone.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #12997
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
The name of a store in Brentwood mall bothers me every time I see its sign. It is called "Buy Buy Baby". Presumably a store for baby stuff.

First, the name doesn't make sense. It sounds more like it is telling the baby to buy, or you are actually purchasing babies.

Second, the "Buy Buy" part - I hate that it is so brazen in the commercialization of being a new parent. Yes, parents are susceptible to buy stuff for their newborns, but don't be so up front about it.

Third, the name was obviously chosen because it is a homonym of "bye bye baby", which is a terrible sentiment for parents.

There's nothing redeeming about that name. I can't imagine how someone thought it was a good idea.
This gear grinder made me happy. It’s all the light hearted fun that this thread normally is.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:36 PM   #12998
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I hope that wasn’t Slava.

Probably wasn’t. 😁
I wish! I've been working like a dog and not enjoying California!

My related gear grinder is that financial services is considered an essential service, so advisors are still keeping their offices open. That's ridiculous. Advisors can work from home and do not need to drag staff in and keep their offices open. Take your computer home if you have to, but stay home! That's what happens when you work in an industry with so many dinosaurs though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:08 PM   #12999
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

First world problem all the way. How have none of the sports channels stepped up and offered some quality programming?

Are they restricted in rebroadcasting sports to which they have current and past rights? We could be enjoying a best of HD sports right now from the last 15 years. Instead it’s haphazard and everything is just labelled “rewind”.

It would be nice to have a selection of big/memorable sporting events playing around the clock instead of some random game from the 1983 division semi finals.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:19 PM   #13000
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
First world problem all the way. How have none of the sports channels stepped up and offered some quality programming?

Are they restricted in rebroadcasting sports to which they have current and past rights? We could be enjoying a best of HD sports right now from the last 15 years. Instead it’s haphazard and everything is just labelled “rewind”.

It would be nice to have a selection of big/memorable sporting events playing around the clock instead of some random game from the 1983 division semi finals.
They would have to pay and when you aren’t making any money it’s hard to pay for content.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote