Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-25-2020, 03:08 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon48 NHL announces postponement of Scouting combine, Awards, and Draft

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/13916

The National Hockey League today announced the postponements of the 2020 NHL Scouting Combine, the 2020 Bridgestone NHL Awards, and the 2020 NHL Draft, which were originally scheduled for June 1-6 in Buffalo, N.Y., June 18 in Las Vegas, and June 26-27 in Montreal, respectively, due to the ongoing uncertainty resulting from the coronavirus.

The location, timing and format of the 2020 NHL Draft (and Draft Lottery) will be announced when details are finalized.

With respect to the Bridgestone NHL Awards, the League looks forward to returning to Las Vegas in the future. Las Vegas has been the home of the Bridgestone NHL Awards since 2009.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm assuming this means there will be an announcement about the rest of regular season and playoffs coming from the league soon too

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. She's done for the year bud. I'm fine with it honestly. This break has been extremely refreshing IMO. Kind of a cleanse of an extremely volatile year as a Flames fan.

Hope the draft takes place somehow. Maybe like the NFL draft. Or do a behind the curtains draft and pre tape it then build a two hour show of the whole weekend. Thatd be a great idea actually.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t really know if they play hockey again this year or not but I don’t really care at the end of the day. I miss it but life has been quite hectic since the quarantine started I haven’t had much time to miss it.

My birthday is in August and I think it would just be awesome to go to a Flames playoff game on that day. Once in a lifetime scenario.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 04:32 PM   #5
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

They could probably hold the draft on Slack.com.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:50 PM   #6
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
I'm assuming this means there will be an announcement about the rest of regular season and playoffs coming from the league soon too
I'm not so sure. If they are willing to play through to the end of July, which they seem to be since they asked teams for arena availability for that time; and if they are willing to use an abbreviated playoff format, the drop dead date for the season might not be until mid-late June.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #7
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I'm not so sure. If they are willing to play through to the end of July, which they seem to be since they asked teams for arena availability for that time; and if they are willing to use an abbreviated playoff format, the drop dead date for the season might not be until mid-late June.
The league asked all teams in the last day or two for arena schedules until the end of August.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:42 PM   #8
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
The league asked all teams in the last day or two for arena schedules until the end of August.
I had not heard that, then add an extra month to my prediction then.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:14 PM   #9
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Yeah. She's done for the year bud. I'm fine with it honestly. This break has been extremely refreshing IMO. Kind of a cleanse of an extremely volatile year as a Flames fan.

Hope the draft takes place somehow. Maybe like the NFL draft. Or do a behind the curtains draft and pre tape it then build a two hour show of the whole weekend. Thatd be a great idea actually.
God forbid when the Flames have an actually bad year...Flames have had their struggles this season but were still in a divisional playoff spot within striking distance of home ice. They were also just coming on...most of their top players were trending up of late. I for one would have liked to see how it all unfolded.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:59 PM   #10
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
God forbid when the Flames have an actually bad year...Flames have had their struggles this season but were still in a divisional playoff spot within striking distance of home ice. They were also just coming on...most of their top players were trending up of late. I for one would have liked to see how it all unfolded.
Actually I lost a lot of energy for hockey overall this season. It wasnt fun and felt like a bad addiction. Dont really want to get back into debating about the Flames either.

Like I said, I'm quite content letting this year fall away. And everything that went with it.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 01:23 AM   #11
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
They could probably hold the draft on Slack.com.

I want to see a video conference, complete with "You're on mute Jim", "can you hear me?" and ear-splitting feedback and echoes.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZedMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 05:51 AM   #12
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lucky for Arizona they already did their own scouting combine...
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:38 AM   #13
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Actually I lost a lot of energy for hockey overall this season. It wasnt fun and felt like a bad addiction. Dont really want to get back into debating about the Flames either.

Like I said, I'm quite content letting this year fall away. And everything that went with it.
Agreed. There was something toxic about this season from the Peters stuff to the indifferent manner the team played with some players not buying into a team game. I'm looking forward to a new coaching staff and re-tooled roster next season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #14
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Agreed. There was something toxic about this season from the Peters stuff to the indifferent manner the team played with some players not buying into a team game. I'm looking forward to a new coaching staff and re-tooled roster next season.
I'm curious to see if the core is re-tooled now. The message out there was that this was the last chance for this core, and if it didn't perform there would be changes. But with the season ended prematurely, does Treliving really have the answer to that question?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #15
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter15 View Post
Lucky for Arizona they already did their own scouting combine...
Also lucky we're not killing it right now in the standings. Knowing Yotes luck we'd be #1 in the pacific then miss the playoffs the next 7 more years

I'm ok with this season being 100% cancelled. lol
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #16
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I'm curious to see if the core is re-tooled now. The message out there was that this was the last chance for this core, and if it didn't perform there would be changes. But with the season ended prematurely, does Treliving really have the answer to that question?
While it certainly would have been better for him to see how the team handled the pressure of the stretch drive and playoffs (if they made it), I think he probably saw enough going back to post all star break last season to draw some conclusions about the makeup of his roster. I have to think that they have been pondering what to do with Gaudreau for some time and now with only two more seasons until his status becomes precarious you have to wonder if they make the difficult decision to recoup as much assets as possible. We saw with Hall the market for elite forwards in the last year of their deals isn't nearly as lucrative as moving the player with multiple seasons left on his contract. They really can't mess this one up getting another Iginla type of return for their best forward.

Even outside of Gaudreau there are plenty of other areas that need to be addressed with the holes on defense with Brodie and Hamonic set to depart and another season where Rittich wilted in the 2nd half of the season. I no longer feel comfortable starting a season with Rittich the starting goaltender as I think his ceiling is 1B. At the very least Treliving now has more time to ponder these questions.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:55 AM   #17
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. Brad has to be making a decisions on what has been, rather than what-if.

Pretty much everything from a locker room perspective should have some changes going into the next season. Change in coaching, goaltending, and core forwards.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #18
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope they simulate the draft on NHL 20, and all teams must accept it.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #19
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there a debate going on anywhere on how the draft lottery should be handled?
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #20
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Is there a debate going on anywhere on how the draft lottery should be handled?
I'm sure there is...I say just reverse standings, it's not like we have to worry about anyone tanking