Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #61
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping to see this on Wednesday.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #62
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Sure about that? I’d say 90% of the score sounded like African tribal music. I was actually surprised how little it seemed hip hop inspired.
Yeah that’s what I mean. With Lamar supposedly all over it I figured it would have more of a mix.

I agree of course there was an African theme to the music, but I felt a lot of it was pretty generic Marvel, and didn’t stand out much like I thought it could.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #63
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Thought it was great. Probably isn't my top Marvel movie but it's definitely in that Tier 1 group.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #64
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Really?

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #65
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #66
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

interesting to see Marvel preparing for Phase 2 as all the stars of the original Marvel films, Iron Man, Captain American and Thor are finishing up their contracts.

great start with Black Panther... personally i liked Dr. Strange as well... we'll see about Capt Marvel

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 02-19-2018 at 10:16 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:29 PM   #67
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #68
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it yesterday, it was ok.

I find that some of the action/fight scenes are too frenetic. There was also some scenes that could have used just a touch more lighting.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #69
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
interesting to see Marvel preparing for Phase 2 as all the stars of the original Marvel films, Iron Man, Captain American and Thor are finishing up their contracts.

great start with Black Panther... personally i liked Dr. Strange as well... we'll see about Capt Marvel
It's speculated there will be a huge kill off of phase 2 stars coming up in infinity war for the contract reason. I don't really mind that at all since Marvel seems to be able to come up new compelling stories all the time.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #70
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
It's speculated there will be a huge kill off of phase 2 stars coming up in infinity war for the contract reason. I don't really mind that at all since Marvel seems to be able to come up new compelling stories all the time.
that would be a bold move on Marvel's part... though it would be pretty cool to see if they could pull it off...

i think Marvel is smart enough to realize "spiderman fatigue" can hit their fanbase if they just keep cranking out orgin stories with new casting every 5 years or so...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:24 PM   #71
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

No reason why other characters can’t become Iron Man and Cap and Ant Man etc... it would be much smarter to kill Tony than recast Tony IMO.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #72
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Saw it yesterday, it was ok.

I find that some of the action/fight scenes are too frenetic. There was also some scenes that could have used just a touch more lighting.
That's putting it lightly.

The third act was visually chaotic and video game-like. Don't think my pulse raised at all cause I just didn't feel like I was watching anything real.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #73
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you mean you didn't feel like you were watching something real??? How could you not feel like a movie about a guy in a country that doesn't exist who eats a plant that doesn't exist that gives him powers doesn't feel real?

Did you go into it thinking it was a biography or documentary? That might be why you didn't like it. It's a movie about a comic book character, it's not supposed to feel real. Movies like this are supposed to help you get away from reality and I to a fantasy world where they have like this can happen.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #74
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
What do you mean you didn't feel like you were watching something real??? How could you not feel like a movie about a guy in a country that doesn't exist who eats a plant that doesn't exist that gives him powers doesn't feel real?

Did you go into it thinking it was a biography or documentary? That might be why you didn't like it. It's a movie about a comic book character, it's not supposed to feel real. Movies like this are supposed to help you get away from reality and I to a fantasy world where they have like this can happen.
As I mentioned before, I really enjoyed the movie. However, I have to admit there were a lot of aspects that felt like I was watching a video game.

Spoiler!

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:22 PM   #75
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post

I think what they mean is just that there wasn't a lot of feeling of jeopardy or stakes. I don't recall a lot of moments where I felt like "Man, BP almost bit it there."

I personally wasn't a fan of how often T'Challa's mask went on and off. It made it seem like the suits weren't tangible. And, to be frank, not a huge fan of Boseman's performance. The quiet subdued thing worked in a minor role in Civil War, but it felt very wooden for an entire film. Jordan was great though.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #76
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I think what they mean is just that there wasn't a lot of feeling of jeopardy or stakes. I don't recall a lot of moments where I felt like "Man, BP almost bit it there."

I personally wasn't a fan of how often T'Challa's mask went on and off. It made it seem like the suits weren't tangible. And, to be frank, not a huge fan of Boseman's performance. The quiet subdued thing worked in a minor role in Civil War, but it felt very wooden for an entire film. Jordan was great though.
I think they definitely crammed too much into the ending. The movie would have been a lot better if they'd focused on the conflict between T'Challa and Killmonger. Jordan was great, and his character had a very believable and sympathetic motivation. The side battles all seemed very forced to me.

The final confrontation should have been more psychological and had less CGI jumping around. I would have liked more of a debate between the T'Challa and Killmonger as to why each of their positions was correct. Nothing overly heavy but more substantial than what they offered.

I agree that Boseman could have really let loose emotionally. His journey back to the top could have been more interesting too.

Like I said before, I really liked the movie up until the third act, at which point it dragged and became less logical. Definitely something I'd recommend seeing in the theater but far from a masterpiece.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #77
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

A debate? A debate between the hero and villain to end a comic book movie?

Are you describing an SNL skit?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #78
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have like to see them fight in the jungle vs around the CG heavy city/mine. The coolest BP moment was in the jungle at the beginning. It would have made the setting more intimate. And made for a more original climax.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:16 PM   #79
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I would have like to see them fight in the jungle vs around the CG heavy city/mine. The coolest BP moment was in the jungle at the beginning. It would have made the setting more intimate. And made for a more original climax.
And they might not have to do the whole thing in front of a green screen!

Makes me think of The Disaster Artist with the alley backdrop beside the real alleyway. Why use the fake #### when you can just go film somewhere real and have it still work as a believable backdrop, but even better cause it's real and tangible. And as you say more intimate. And that's the kind of setting those two needed I think, especially with the dialogue exchange.

Pull a TFA and have trees getting cut up and falling. Practical can be fun!

Instead we get bungie cord jumping around a computerized mine train that's not even there. That environment does take away from the sense of stakes. You're just watching incoherent fast cut scenes of twirling and punching, waiting until someone gets stabbed so you finally figure out who lost.

I mean just refer to the two challenge scenes earlier in the film. Those were a couple pretty intimidating/intense fights, and there were wounds and weapons snapping, it definitely worked better.

Sucks when films try to go so big in their final acts that it detracts from everything it was doing right up until that point. Not everything has to be huge sets and CGI heavy, even in the super hero realm! Just my thoughts.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:27 AM   #80
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a ####ing comic book folks. It's not supposed to be deeply thoughtful or close to reality. CGI was great, story was great, movie was fun.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post: