Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default A Song of Ice and Fire **Spoilers** Now more TV talk!

This is a thread for the book series, A Song of Ice and Fire, by George RR Martin.

If you are only watching the HBO Series "A Game of Thrones", stop reading and leave the thread; there WILL be spoilers here ("It is known"). Anything published can be discussed. So if you aren't up to the end of the series, you may want to wait until you are caught up with the series before reading on.

Edit: All talk about the TV show is encouraged here. Leave the other "Game of Thrones" thread to the folk who haven't read the books. We don't think anyone intentionally is spoiling the other thread, but it is really easy to accidentally foreshadow and many there don't want any hints. Besides, it will be more fun to see their response when the surprises really do happen.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti

Last edited by Bobblehead; 05-08-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome, thanks for starting this thread!

So just who is Queen Marghery messing around with?

Is Sandor Clegane still alive, and living as a monk on that island? Will he rise up and fight his zombie brother in an epic battle?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I skipped reading the thread for a while as I was late reading Dance with Dragons, so this may already be well known but GRRM posted a chapter from Winds of Winter.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is that Jon Snow will get resurrected by the Red priestess. Likely that Ghost has killed everyone responsible for the murder.
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
My guess is that Jon Snow will get resurrected by the Red priestess. Likely that Ghost has killed everyone responsible for the murder.
That's my guess too. It's also possible Jons spirit ends up taking over ghost, although I don't think very likely. Third possibility is Jon doesn't die at all. Kind of like when Aria took the axe to the head. He was stabbed 4 times though.

It's going to be a long fataing wait!
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My guess is Jon lives inside Ghost. Bookends well with the story that started Dance with Dragons.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
My guess is Jon lives inside Ghost. Bookends well with the story that started Dance with Dragons.
Ya kind of what I was thinking too. Would be a cool story arc. Personally I hope he is resurrected. One of the Starks has to vengence at some point or I'm going to pissed. I guess that could be Bran.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

when is the 5th book being made into a paper back?
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Depending on how much time passes, I would like to see Rickon come back with Shaggydog and lay some beat downs.

I also think Arya winds up getting some vengeance as well after coming back from the free cities.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kind of strange that one of the best characteristics of the early books is that anyone can die, but one of the characteristics of the later books is that X will surely come back to life. Looking forward to book 6.

BTW the dvds of season 1 are 30$ at amazon right now. Oh, and book 5 has a fair amount of cannibalism.
simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Finally. I thought about making this thread a few times, but feared the mass crying.

Now it is not on me.

I will love this thread.

I was having a discussion about John Snow earlier today. Is that guy actually dead? Martin said in an interview that yes, he did die.

So which way will he come back? Red priest? Warg? Or was he a tool to build up the northern story line, and now that it is reaching the climax, or has reached, and has the kiddies up there he no longer needed John Snow to show the way and could get rid of him.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Red priest - if Beric can be brought back so can John, especially since we were already told how powerful she was this close to the wall.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #13
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think that Jon Snow will be resurrected by Melisandre and that he is Azor Ahai reborn. Just before Jon's "death" there are multiple symbols that Melisandre has seen in her flames. She saw a bleeding star, and just before Jon is stabbed the giant is killing a soldier that bears a star as his sigil, and it is covered in blood. There were a few more things to, Melisandre believes that Stannis is Azor Ahai reborn, however whenever she looks in the flames for him she sees snow.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #14
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm also really looking forward to Barristan Selmy wrecking it up in Mereen, he just seemed so pumped up that it was going to come to battle. He and Davos have become some of my favourite secondary characters.

Speaking of Davos, it will be interesting to see how his trip to cannibal island goes to find Rickon.

Still one of the best iceburn lines in the entire series is Wyman Manderly dropping this gem on some Frey's upon hearing that little Walder Frey was found dead:

"Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived he would have grown up to be a Frey"

The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
FacePaint
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My thoughts were that Jon Snow would come back as an "other". All he felt was cold as he took the last stab so maybe his spirit went to one of the others in the cells under the wall? I'd assume that Ghost would be killed shortly after Jon, but that Jon would resurrect Ghost as a wight. Maybe he can be a good other?

My wild(ling) guess...
Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Most of the ideas about Jon make sense - he might turn out like Coldhands (Benjen?) a white walker with memory of his former self or something along those lines.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think Selmy is soon going to find himself way over his head. He's not a political operator. Infact I think he's going to be the first character to bite the dust in the next book.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #18
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope John doesn't just become a Warg, if he does I am worried the questions of his parentage will never be answered. There are some interesting ideas out there.

Dany better do something in the next book. I am looking forward to getting more Semly chapters.

There has been a chapter of the next book release somewhere, a Theon chapter, has anyone else read it?

What are the rules here for spoilers? Anything that has been published is fair game an future book spoilers are in spoiler tags until release?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I hope John doesn't just become a Warg, if he does I am worried the questions of his parentage will never be answered. There are some interesting ideas out there.

Dany better do something in the next book. I am looking forward to getting more Semly chapters.

There has been a chapter of the next book release somewhere, a Theon chapter, has anyone else read it?

What are the rules here for spoilers? Anything that has been published is fair game an future book spoilers are in spoiler tags until release?
This is just my opinion of course but anything that isn't in books 1-5 is not ok to talk about without spoiler tags.

I like to go in knowing as little as possible.

As for Jon's parentage, I almost feel like Martin may skip the mystery of his mother altogether. She was just some woman and it wasn't Cat. I don't know if it has to have some crazy twist about her identity.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought I'd throw this link up for anyone not aware of it.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming