Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #1841
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Might I ask where you purchased it?
Bow Cycle in Bowness.
The Following User Says Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #1842
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Team Garmin-Sharp will be at bow cycle at 1PM on Sunday. They will be doing a group ride.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #1843
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I'm heading out to COP tomorrow to check out the trails there - looks like from the website that's it's pretty fun?
i have only done the green and blue runs there and the trails there are alright. At one point the trails cross the road, so you are forced to slow down. The trails are not very long.

if you get there right when it opens you can get a bunch of runs in early before it gets busy.

it is unfortunate that Sunshine, Lake Louise, Nakiska etc are not open for lift assisted biking in the summertime........
Old 08-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #1844
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i have only done the green and blue runs there and the trails there are alright. At one point the trails cross the road, so you are forced to slow down. The trails are not very long.

if you get there right when it opens you can get a bunch of runs in early before it gets busy.

it is unfortunate that Sunshine, Lake Louise, Nakiska etc are not open for lift assisted biking in the summertime........
Everyone needs to go to Whistler at least once to see how amazing this is when it's done right. So awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #1845
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Everyone needs to go to Whistler at least once to see how amazing this is when it's done right. So awesome.
Yes, just got back. Went to crankworx which was amazing. The hill is incredible.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #1846
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have been to silverstar and it was good, i understand the folks that developed the trails in whistler were involved with silverstar......
Old 08-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #1847
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really need to get a proper bike the next time, though. I rode it on a Santa Cruz Blur LT. Had some downhillers teasing me a bit "Heeeeyyyy, Mr Cross Country!" as I'm going up the lift wearing an XC helmet, gloves. My only other "protective" gear was a hydration pack. My whole body was in pain the next day.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #1848
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nothing compares to Whistler when it comes to bike park riding. I've been there twice this year and we're going back for a few days in September. The place is mountain bike Disneyland.

Unfortunately the bike park season is coming to an end for this year, but closer to home both Fernie and Panorama offer some fun riding. Neither one comes close to Whistler - especially the jump lines - but both have some great trails and a reasonable amount of variety. Kicking Horse has a bike park as well, and they're open weekends until the end of September. IMO it's not the same quality as the other bike parks, unless you like riding in a gravel pit. Advanced riders who like to ride steep gnar will find some entertainment there, but I wouldn't recommend it for novices.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Old 08-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #1849
hmmhmmcamo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I really need to get a proper bike the next time, though. I rode it on a Santa Cruz Blur LT. Had some downhillers teasing me a bit "Heeeeyyyy, Mr Cross Country!" as I'm going up the lift wearing an XC helmet, gloves. My only other "protective" gear was a hydration pack.
This was me a few weeks ago only at the Coast Gravity Park in Sechelt. I was riding a Transition Bandit and was the only person not wearing a full face. Nobody said anything specifically, but lots were looking at me like I was from another planet. The big bikes look fun.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:32 PM   #1850
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went for a bike ride around red deer today with the wife, we did about 26 k......red deer has some bike paths.....

Also yesterday I discovered a very gnarly rooty trail close to the river bend rec area in red deer. It was one of the most difficult trails I have ever been on..........

Last edited by Northendzone; 08-31-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:48 PM   #1851
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading all these posts about rocky and rooted trails make me miss when I could do those trails. My left arm is still in bad shape. I can only straighten my arm 135° since my accident 6 years ago. another fall could really set me back if I tried but I wish I could every day.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #1852
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Was intending to post a summary on my 2X9 --> 1X10 drivetrain conversion project, but I got stuck.

The intention is to turn an XC bike into a pathway cruiser/chariot tow-er. Purchased Absoluteblack 36T chainring (wide-narrow), OneUp 42T+16T cassette mod, 10sp XT with clutch der, XT 10sp shifter:

Spoiler!

Installing on this bike (Ti Litespeed):
Spoiler!

Took about 15 minutes to get old cassette off and the 42T and 16T installed with the new XT cassette. OneUp does a great job on with their website video on how to do it.
Spoiler!

Got the crank off, took off the old 22T with a hex drive. This is now where I'm stuck... Cannot get the 32T off. I can fit a star-driver in, but it spins without coming out. Anyone know how to get this chainring off?
Spoiler!

Edit: Problem solved. Brought it into Ridley's and had them do it. 1X10 ROCKS.

Last edited by cracher; 09-18-2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: spoiler tags
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #1853
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

rode into work this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks - wow is it ever dark at 6.30 am now.....also made a rookie mistake of putting on a black top and dark grey shorts....

Pick up some lighting at SportChek at lunch - nothing fancy, just wanted to be somewhat seen
Old 09-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #1854
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone cashing in on the end of season sales? Or the gobs and gobs of 26" mtbs on the pinkbike market for stupid low prices?

I just nabbed a raceface next SL crankset (310USD) and a Salsa Spearfish (from universal cycle - 50% off) for my next year commuter bike. Now keeping an eye on a SC tallboy at competitive cyclist and hoping the discount gets bigger.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #1855
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to buy a commuter bike, but I'll wait until next year.

I'd really love to get one of those fancy gar ins with the gps
Old 09-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #1856
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was pretty sure I was going to buy a Cannondale CAADX 105, but ended up going with a Felt F65X instead. Although the new CAADXs are out, none of the stores are discounting the 2014 models yet. There are big changes too, as the 2015 105 models have the 11 speed gears. They are basically last year's Ultegra set up. Both are selling at $1,550.

The F65X was regularly $1,800 and was on sale for $1,500. I'm moving my 105 pedals that I bought 2.5 years ago to the Felt from my Cervelo R3, and I ordered the Shimano 105 5800 pedals from Chain Reaction. They are the new version of the 5700 pedals, and were half the price my LBS had the 5700s at. I try and support LBSs, but 50% difference was too much.

I switched the tires out for road tires, as I won't be going off pavement. I put some fenders and a bike rack on it, but here's the stock photo of my new winter commuter:

Spoiler tags for huge image.

Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #1857
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Was intending to post a summary on my 2X9 --> 1X10 drivetrain conversion project, but I got stuck.

The intention is to turn an XC bike into a pathway cruiser/chariot tow-er. Purchased Absoluteblack 36T chainring (wide-narrow), OneUp 42T+16T cassette mod, 10sp XT with clutch der, XT 10sp shifter:
What was the cost of doing this? Would love to do this to my winter commuter / pathway cruiser but am weighing up cost vs just leaving in the middle ring like I do now.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #1858
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone cashing in on the end of season sales? Or the gobs and gobs of 26" mtbs on the pinkbike market for stupid low prices?

I just nabbed a raceface next SL crankset (310USD) and a Salsa Spearfish (from universal cycle - 50% off) for my next year commuter bike. Now keeping an eye on a SC tallboy at competitive cyclist and hoping the discount gets bigger.
Ah, I sold my Tallboy this summer. Awesome bike. I loved it, but wanted to get into enduros so I sold it and got a Specialized Stumpjumper fsr expert carbon evo. So much fun...and an incredibly long name. The tallboy was my xc bike and it was flawless.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #1859
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

1X10 ROCKS.
I have 1x11 on my new bike. I really like it. Shifts way better than my 2x10 did. I'm thinking of switching from a 32 front to a 30. After a 2-3 hour mtn bike ride with lots of climbing, I'm getting a little tired.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #1860
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I am looking to buy a mountain bike (hard tail) for next spring and am looking for fall clearance deals. I want to spend somewhere less than $1000 but also want good value. It seems from research that a full Deore set up offers the best value. Is it possible to get that for sub $1000 on clearance? It looks like retail is between 1300 and 1500.

And if anyone is interested in finding a good deal for me I need about a 19" or 20" frame
Closed Thread