Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #3041
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanScores View Post
Wondering if anyone can please refer me to a bike shop that deals with BMX racing equipment and gears? My little son has expressed joining a club for BMX racing (Calgary BMX Racing). We are new to the sport and would like to get some insights, tips and help in general. Thanks in advance.
Former BMX racer/street-rat freestyler here. I'm old, so nothing I know is relevant today. But I'm sure, now and down the line, your kid will appreciate you supporting the BMX endeavors. The skills from BMX translate well into every other form of riding. Thumbs up.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #3042
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bike handling skills you learn are amazing. I learned to bunnyhop 35 years ago with no clip in pedals, this translates very well to mountain biking. I don't know how the kids ride the newer BMX bikes with the low-ass seats and all that.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #3043
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^For sure, and fundamentals too. One of the biggest ones I've noticed is that trial and BMX kids develop the smoothest pedal strokes (without the benefit of clipless). Don't have to go through trying to fix a lazy, stabby stroke as an adult.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #3044
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
What kind of clips do you have? Could it just be a matter of tightening the screw or switching out the cleats?
These are 6800s. The cleats are fine. I think it's just a matter of getting used to new stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Keep riding them, it'll become second nature after awhile. Turn your heel outward to exit. When I crash now, my feet are already out and ready for the fall, I don't even have to think about it.
Hah I know how to get out of the pedals, it's just that these were being way more grabby than the R540s I was using previously (which are now back on my cross bike), which I have no trouble at all getting out of. These ones click in easily, but they sure as hell don't let you out without a fight, or maybe the design causes the motion you need to use to be slightly different from my muscle memory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd loosen the tension all the way on them. I worry about my knees so I keep mine loose. They still hold securely as long as you don't twist.
This is a good idea; I just left them where they were when they came out of the box. I'll play with it a bit.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #3045
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back from Canmroe riding Horseshoe and G8 with an old buddy. Always humbling to get your butt kicked by someone who is on the trails every day. There is a newish section of trail that goes up Grotto, felt like we went halfway to the top! Suffering! Good ride though, trails are very dry and dusty.

Also saw a Grizzly yesterday while on the legacy trail, just by Harvie Heights on the railroad tracks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #3046
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse11 View Post
so, I started out my own bike repair business this year. It's been pretty good. One thing I've noticed, is that 80% of the bikes I'm getting in all need new chains. This surprised me, since I always checked my chain and replaced when it was time. This extends the life of the more expense parts, like the cassette and chainrings. What surprised me was that it was all high end bikes. People I know. So, having said that, buy a chain checker. I know you can measure your chain with a ruler, but if you have the tool, you will use it.
Which quadrant of the city are you located in?
Old 04-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #3047
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Which quadrant of the city are you located in?
In Cochrane right now, but moving to SW edge of Calgary (near hwy 8) in June.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #3048
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ is that when your big new house will finally be ready? ;p)
Old 04-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #3049
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

compared to the neighbours, it's pretty small, but has a 3 car garage that I can work out of.

Just rode West Bragg, it's nice out there. Trails in awesome condition. Had a little bit of rain to settle the dust. No standing puddles on the North side.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:25 PM   #3050
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking of upgrading my wheels on my 2011 Cervelo R3 SRAM Rival. I didn't know much about wheels until recently, but I've read a lot online and talked to a guy at my LBS for a while today. I think I like the Shimano Dura Ace WH-9000 C24 clinchers. At my LBS they are $1,270 for the set. I can get them at ProBikeKit.ca for $945. If I bought them online, are they simple to attach a cassette and put the wheel on my bike? Is there anything tricky I need to look out for or worry about if I do it myself? Any other wheelsets you'd recommend? I've read good thinks about Reynolds and Boyd, but they might be a little more than I want to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 04-23-2016, 10:35 PM   #3051
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Note that you'll end up paying tax and duty on them which can add up to the difference on its own, as PBK ships from the UK I believe.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 10:38 PM   #3052
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading my wheels on my 2011 Cervelo R3 SRAM Rival. I didn't know much about wheels until recently, but I've read a lot online and talked to a guy at my LBS for a while today. I think I like the Shimano Dura Ace WH-9000 C24 clinchers. At my LBS they are $1,270 for the set. I can get them at ProBikeKit.ca for $945. If I bought them online, are they simple to attach a cassette and put the wheel on my bike? Is there anything tricky I need to look out for or worry about if I do it myself? Any other wheelsets you'd recommend? I've read good thinks about Reynolds and Boyd, but they might be a little more than I want to spend.
super easy change. Just make sure you get the right hub whether it's 10 speed or 11 speed. I have the Reynolds Assault SLG on my R3. Love them. The Dura Ace is a nice set too. You can't go wrong with those.
The Following User Says Thank You to millhouse11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 10:43 PM   #3053
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I guess they come with a spacer for 10-speed cassettes. Nice. Here is an excuse to head to Whitefish for the weekend. Ship to Eureka, pick up the wheels. Road riding around Whitefish is awesome.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/sh...NhdDEwMDA2OA==
Old 04-23-2016, 10:46 PM   #3054
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

There were some nice wheels sets at the Bike Swap and Social at the Wildrose brewery tonight. Some pretty nice stuff, to go along with a lot of stuff people want out of their house. I think I came out about $10 in the hole after the beer and stuff I bought.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #3055
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Note that you'll end up paying tax and duty on them which can add up to the difference on its own, as PBK ships from the UK I believe.
I believe wheel rims are duty exempt, while complete wheels are charged duty. Taxes would definitely still be charged, but I'd be paying those in a store anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 04-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #3056
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think you're right regarding the hoops: unfinished wheels are exempt. However, 3/3 times ordering just hoops from CRC, I got dinged for tariffs. You do have to go through the hassle of sending in the paperwork to get your money back.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #3057
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.albertaparks.ca/kananaski...ld-flats-area/

Quote:
Bear Closure - Sibbald Flats Area
Posted: April 24, 2016 @ 9:57 AM

A large portion of the Sibbald Flats area is closed due to bear activity. This includes:

Powderface Trail Road south of Hwy 68
Pine Top Day Use Area
Dawson Creek Day Use Area and Equestrian Campground
Sibbald Viewpoint Day Use Area
Spruce Woods Day Use Area
Jumpingpound Demonstration Forest area
Jumpingpound Loop Trail, east and west
Ole Buck Loop Trail
Moose Creek Loop Trail
Pine Woods Loop Trail
Reforestation Trail
Deer Ridge Trail
Sibbald Flat Interpretive Trail
Eagle Hill Trail
Trails originating from Sibbald Lake Day Use Area
Any trail access to Tom Snow Trail from Hwy 68 and Powderface Trail Road
Please note that Sibbald Meadows Pond Day Use Area and Sibbald Lake Day Use Area remain open
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #3058
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazing how much the moist air muffles vehicle noise. It was such a quite ride in! Felt warmer than what the temp was saying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #3059
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I wish you would not have told me that as I sort of wanted to ride this morning; however, the rain and my overall laziness kyboshed that idea.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #3060
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone here have experience with ergonomic grips? I think these will help with a lot of the hand/wrist pain I get. Is it worth getting the Ergo brand? Of that brand, anyone have any experience with the 2 or 3 models that have the "bull horns" for climbing? I am wondering if there are any cons with having the bullhorns on the grips.

Any recommendations or comments you guys have would be helpful. I may order from Amazon.
Closed Thread