Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #21
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Why do you need browser support?
Online sports streaming where an app is not available but HTML5 video is.

Not available can mean "no streaming app on that platform", "no streaming app period", "user too cheap to pay for it", or "regional restrictions prevent paying for / using the app legitimately".
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #22
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why do you need browser support?
When it comes to Android nothing really competes with the shield for an all in one option. I am not a fan of Android Kodi boxes because most are #### and have next to zero updates or support.

I use Apple TVs as our streamers and I’m more then happy but it isn’t a route for everyone especially if you are not in the Apple ecosystem.
TD already covered but ya there's HTML 5 video out there that streams NHL content I don't want to lose access too. I liked shield a lot but for 226 dollars to have to hack on a browser? Kind of ridiculous, and no controller. I'm just using my XBOX one upstairs now and when the wifes home Ill reconsider my options, but I'm leaning towards a NUC or another xbox one
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #23
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

It’s super easy to install Chrome on the Shield. Access the Google Play store from a browser and click Install. Choose the Shield and you’re done. Took me 5 seconds.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #24
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Oh, and my shield came with a controller. Anything Bluetooth should work fine.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #25
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It’s super easy to install Chrome on the Shield. Access the Google Play store from a browser and click Install. Choose the Shield and you’re done. Took me 5 seconds.
Yeah that's right but then you're paying what, just under 300 bucks? I'd rather buy another xbox one i can take on the road with me and hve a 2nd gaming system i can play real games for another 50 bucks. just a better value to me.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #26
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

I use Videostream on my PC (Free) and it broadcasts to my chromecast. Basically select the video file and click stream.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #27
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So why not just get an amazon fire stick for 50 bucks then? It has firefox browser as well. It plays youtube videos quite well I can't comment on sports streams

You can plex and kodi portable and built in browser
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #28
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
So why not just get an amazon fire stick for 50 bucks then? It has firefox browser as well. It plays youtube videos quite well I can't comment on sports streams

The fire stick is pretty underpowered. My brother in law picked one up and the menu lag would make me slit my wrists if i had to deal with it on a regular basis.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #29
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post

theres no way it would properly stream html5 in HD
Old 02-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #30
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The fire stick is pretty underpowered. My brother in law picked one up and the menu lag would make me slit my wrists if i had to deal with it on a regular basis.
On kodi? It’s a bit slower than my fire tv but it isn’t that bad. I use it for secondary tvs normally just needs a reboot every now and then. Works fine once streams start
Old 02-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #31
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

[QUOTE=Diemenz;6579524]The fire stick is pretty underpowered. My brother in law picked one up and the menu lag would make me slit my wrists if i had to deal with it on a regular basis

I should mention I only use it for kodi Netflix and a sports apk. Kodi menus lag a bit everything else is fine. This is last generation fire stick as well.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #32
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree completely on latest gen firestick. Functions beautifully for most uses. It's not a Shield, but on black Friday they were $20 at BestBuy here in US.
I personally can't wait for my Channelmaster Stream+ to arrive. 4K and HDR capable box, built in Chromecast and Google home support, dual OTA tuner with guide, etc. For the intro price of $99 it's going to be a beauty, hopefully.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #33
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Agree completely on latest gen firestick. Functions beautifully for most uses. It's not a Shield, but on black Friday they were $20 at BestBuy here in US.
I personally can't wait for my Channelmaster Stream+ to arrive. 4K and HDR capable box, built in Chromecast and Google home support, dual OTA tuner with guide, etc. For the intro price of $99 it's going to be a beauty, hopefully.
Have they worked out the Netflix issue yet? I looked at this box as well but hesitated when I found out that google assistant was only google voice search, Netflix didn’t work on it and Kodi wouldn’t support its hardware decoding so it would all be on software (HVEC was reported as extremely laggy).

You will have to hop on here and give us an update because I’m exciting to see the progress on the machine since the last review in December.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #34
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
So many choices on Amazon... Any suggestions on an an android box?
Shield is the way to go, or just chromecast everything. My TVs all have cast support and I just stream off my Emby server from the phone.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #35
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have they worked out the Netflix issue yet? I looked at this box as well but hesitated when I found out that google assistant was only google voice search, Netflix didn’t work on it and Kodi wouldn’t support its hardware decoding so it would all be on software (HVEC was reported as extremely laggy).

You will have to hop on here and give us an update because I’m exciting to see the progress on the machine since the last review in December.
I was not aware Netflix was an issue, just not native.
Also did not know about the Kodi issues. I expect someone will address this in a nightly type build, but now I wonder about any official issue.

It should be delivered by end of February, I think. There a couple of us here who ordered one. Will start a thread on it and can test anything anyone wants me to try.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:31 PM   #36
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

interesting tidbit about Plex. The app that you use on the majority of android boxes (not sure about shield) will not work for some movies with sound that requires audio pass thru. but those same movies will work just fine on the xbox one app.