Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2023, 08:28 PM   #61
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
For f-cking what? I literally said in my response to GreenLantern that I wouldn't consider her Indigenous based on her claims, adopted or not.

I guess the context of my statement didn't make sense. I wasn't linking the parenthetical phrase to the one before it, but rather the one after:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
(Despite people like you&me and TorqueDog's complete ignorance...) She was arguably the biggest, most visible and 'vocal' Indigenous artist in the world in the '70s and '80s.
This was based on your post wherein you wrote "I don't know who Buffy Sainte-Marie is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
That was the first name that popped into my head when I saw the thread title, given that I don't know who Buffy Sainte-Marie is.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 08:33 PM   #62
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Cool. What colour is the light when you're called to your next internet cancelling?
Rainbow.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 08:54 PM   #63
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The truth is often messy.

Solid reporting by the CBC.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 10-27-2023 at 08:59 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:06 PM   #64
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I learned a new term today - Pretendian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretendian

Quote:
Rachel Dolezal (born 1977)[53][54] – Although Dolezal is better known for claiming to be African-American, she began her career claiming to be Native American, telling people that she was born in a tipi and grew up hunting for food with bows and arrows.
Quote:
Danielle Smith - Premier of Alberta who claimed to have a Cherokee great-great-grandmother who was a victim of the Trail of Tears. An investigation from APTN National News found no evidence Smith's ancestors were Indigenous or part of the Trail of Tears.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Boyden

Quote:
Joseph Boyden CM (born October 31, 1966) is a Canadian novelist and short story writer of Irish and Scottish descent.[2][3] He also claims Indigenous descent, but this is widely disputed.[3][4] Joseph Boyden is best known for writing about First Nations culture. Three Day Road, a novel about two Cree soldiers serving in the Canadian military during World War I, was inspired by Ojibwa Francis Pegahmagabow, the legendary First World War sniper. Joseph Boyden's second novel, Through Black Spruce, follows the story of Will, son of one of the characters in Three Day Road. The third novel in the Bird family trilogy was published in 2013 as The Orenda.
He Was Hollywood’s Favorite Native American, But Iron Eyes Cody Wasn’t Native At All

https://allthatsinteresting.com/iron-eyes-cody

Last edited by troutman; 10-27-2023 at 11:41 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 11:15 PM   #65
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
It would absolutely.

The science as I know it is pretty cool too. The first humans into North America and eventually South were the Clovis people and DNA evidence has shown that the migration of the Clovis was oneway. All indigenous peoples of North and South America have Clovis DNA markers.
New Evidence Complicates the Story of the Peopling of the Americas

https://www.the-scientist.com/featur...americas-69928

Quote:
The findings weren’t the first to challenge the so-called Clovis-first model, named after the Clovis people, who were thought to have been the first to pass through Beringia. The White Sands findings were, however, the most conclusive, agree researchers who spoke with The Scientist. “For a long time, there’s been a consensus view that [human-occupied] sites that were 13,000 years old or so were legitimate,” but that archaeological finds dating back further in time were potentially erroneous, says Odess. The idea that humans had arrived in the Americas before that time “was controversial,” he explains, “because it was putting people here before the glaciers opened up the path”—an event estimated to have occurred around 13,000 years ago, several thousand years after the peak of the most recent ice age, the so-called Last Glacial Maximum. “But White Sands changes everything.”
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2023, 11:25 AM   #66
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
New Evidence Complicates the Story of the Peopling of the Americas

https://www.the-scientist.com/featur...americas-69928
Concensus doesn't seem to have shifted much yet. Nice article that let me reorganize some knowledge. I used Clovis incorrectly, to me any people that came over the land bridge were Clovis.

As a plus it still sounds like migration from Asia was oneway, so the DNA would still show indigenous ancestry very accurately.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 05:42 PM   #67
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess the context of my statement didn't make sense. I wasn't linking the parenthetical phrase to the one before it, but rather the one after:

This was based on your post wherein you wrote "I don't know who Buffy Sainte-Marie is:
Yeah, my 'ignorance' of who she was being short-hand for "being unaware of" is fair. Probably could have worded that a little bit differently given the subject matter and the fact that the word ignorance is more often than not thrown around under a very different context than simply "being unaware of" these days.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2023, 07:48 PM   #68
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

To the best of my knowledge there was nothing to be gained and mostly a crap load to be lost by claiming native ancestry back in the 1960's, while she may or may not be native I can't see any part of her origin as singer that lends credence to anything more than she believed she was native when she claimed it back in the days when being native was something you hid if you wanted to get on in Canada
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 08:04 PM   #69
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nothing to be gained? There was a renewed interest in all things native in the 60s, the CBC article itself reminds the reader of the hippies and how they loved all that stuff. Without a doubt it started as a little white lie in an interview and when she noticed it was gaining her attention she went it and eventually went full on lunatic, pathological liar. It's show business and this was her angle, her schtick.

These types of stories are incredible, I'm fascinated by the massive amount of bull#### they tell and how stressful it must be to keep track of it.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2023, 09:25 PM   #70
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

She may not be indigenous but is she a vampire slayer?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 09:50 PM   #71
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ok, I'm going to admit, I don't follow her music or much of her career.

But outside of her musical genre, how much of a financial gain would she have gained by appropriating an indigenous identity?

Did her life and career benefit that community?

Did she do it to defraud the government or the community?

Has the indigenous community not already pretty much forgiven her, and said whatever? (I'm unsure on this, I could research it a bit of whatever)?

Was there criminal effects or did she get a tax benefit from this?

Wouldn't it be up to in this case the community to decide her fate?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 09:52 PM   #72
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
To the best of my knowledge there was nothing to be gained and mostly a crap load to be lost by claiming native ancestry back in the 1960's, while she may or may not be native I can't see any part of her origin as singer that lends credence to anything more than she believed she was native when she claimed it back in the days when being native was something you hid if you wanted to get on in Canada
Did you read the story? Why would she threaten people about revealing the truth?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2023, 06:42 AM   #73
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m kind of curious, did she carry a Canadian passport? I’m assuming not, but basically all the accolades she received by claiming to be indigenous and Canadian were a lie.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 07:18 AM   #74
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gotta admit though, this was one hell of a hustle. That alone deserves accolades.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2023, 10:44 AM   #75
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

She was based in Hawaii since the late 60s.
Old 10-29-2023, 11:15 AM   #76
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The CBC documentary pretty much exposed it from multiple angles. I'm not sure how her and here lawyers rebut it but it seemed like a solid story. CBC, like any news source should be questioned on the angles they spin things, but this seemed pretty factual IMO. She doesn't come across well to say the least. Seems to go beyond ignorance and into straight up make up.

CBC has it up on youtube.

bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 08:48 AM   #77
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

After watching the Fifth Estate piece the only question I have is, did she darken her complexion with makeup through the years? Was it tanning?

Taking opportunities from an actual native artist is something I have a real problem with. There are many talented singers in Canada who would have appreciated those opportunities, not to mention the money made during her career and the home in Hawaii.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:11 AM   #78
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a lot wrong with this. First of all, she benefitted from numerous awards and accolades by claiming she was indigenous and from Canada. There's no doubt that Can-con played a significant role in her success (not the mention the obvious Order of Canada, stamp, numerous Junos and things like that).

It's just plain fraud. I feel like saying it's anything other than that and trying to soften it by saying "well she really liked natives" is pretty poor.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 09:32 AM   #79
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I will actually admit that when I wrote my first post and questioned Buffy Sainte-Marie's "icon" status, I genuinely thought she was some teenie-bop artist that's been attempted to be crammed down our collective throats by Can-con... kinda like a Tegan and Sara... So in my mind, I was thinking "why are we calling this nobody an 'icon'?"

Like, the name rang a bell just enough to have a passing recognition, but I couldn't tell you a single thing about her... Clearly I was just a little off the mark. Her achievements - regardless of this whole situation - are those of an icon, even if they may not resonate with people born after she peaked. Ooops.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 10:40 AM   #80
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
After watching the Fifth Estate piece the only question I have is, did she darken her complexion with makeup through the years? Was it tanning?

Taking opportunities from an actual native artist is something I have a real problem with. There are many talented singers in Canada who would have appreciated those opportunities, not to mention the money made during her career and the home in Hawaii.
I think she's always had a darker skin complexion which isn't uncommon with Italian heritage.

Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote