Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 01:27 PM   #9301
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I wonder if people who want to trade Backlund even watch our games, especially the last 3.
With some of the suggestions I read here, I wonder if some posters know anything about the game of hockey.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #9302
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I'd be surprised if Bennett returned a first this point.
Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow returned firsts.

Upcoming draft is not even as good as last year plus there’s all the uncertainty with limited viewing.

Anything less than a first round pick and Treliving should hang up the phone.

Not to mention Flames might have to play the Leafs if they make it.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:32 PM   #9303
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Yup. pretty straight forward that that deal will never happen.
Never suggested it would. Trades are a negotiation - if another team wants your player, you state the price. That was my price - I am not giving away a player to a divisional rival that I might well face in the playoffs, unless they make it worthwhile.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #9304
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
If the Leafs wanted Bennett, and going by what Dubas had to say yesterday, then its probably one of their (less) prized prospects coming back.

That said, I expect Treliving to hold onto Bennett until the deadline and unless someone overpays he likely stays until the end of the year and is chosen in the expansion draft or simply not qualified.

The Flames will want Bennett for the playoffs. And while those aren't guaranteed he'll wait until the last minute to make that move if he can IMO.
There is no way Treliving is giving a divisional rival Bennett for 'one of their lesser prospects'

I just don't understand Flames fans thinking we have to lose every trade because no one wants our players.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 01:37 PM   #9305
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow returned firsts.

Upcoming draft is not even as good as last year plus there’s all the uncertainty with limited viewing.

Anything less than a first round pick and Treliving should hang up the phone.

Not to mention Flames might have to play the Leafs if they make it.
The only reason they returned those picks was due to their multi year sub $2mil contracts.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #9306
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
There is no way Treliving is giving a divisional rival Bennett for 'one of their lesser prospects'

I just don't understand Flames fans thinking we have to lose every trade because no one wants our players.
If you move Bennett our for a prospect, does that free up cap space for the Flames to address other issues? Does Sam Rienhart become a more realistic possibility?
Old 03-17-2021, 01:45 PM   #9307
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
If you move Bennett our for a prospect, does that free up cap space for the Flames to address other issues? Does Sam Rienhart become a more realistic possibility?
Bennett's contract, plus their current space, still don't get it done. They need to move close to $4M, depending on the timing.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:45 PM   #9308
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I said he'd stay. Probably should have said the Leafs would offer one of their less prized guys I suppose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 01:51 PM   #9309
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I said he'd stay. Probably should have said the Leafs would offer one of their less prized guys I suppose.
Well, if he does in fact covet Bennett, he knows he can't call up Treliving and offer a mediocre prospect for him.

In this case, Dubas has to lift the offer, he can't force Treliving to hit the bid.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #9310
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
The only reason they returned those picks was due to their multi year sub $2mil contracts.
Yeah, I am not saying to trade Bennett on the cheap but with the ED and Bennet's contract situation I don't think he gets traded unless someone really overpays.
There is a decent chance he doesn't get qualified unless his play really picks up.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:03 PM   #9311
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

HAH @ Hyman for Bennett.

I don't get why the Leafs would be even rumoured to be interested in Bennett. They need a Top 6 Winger not a bottom 6 if anything.

Hyman works on any line he is put on. From what I've read Bennett kills any line he is put on.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:11 PM   #9312
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
They make less money than Bennett because of pedigree and they aren't as impactful in the playoffs, especially Goodrow.

You could argue that Coleman has similar value, but there is no way Goodrow is worth more than Bennett.

Salary doesn't mean everything in value. It is a component. If salary were everything, Josh Leivo would be worth a first round pick.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #9313
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
HAH @ Hyman for Bennett.

I don't get why the Leafs would be even rumoured to be interested in Bennett. They need a Top 6 Winger not a bottom 6 if anything.

Hyman works on any line he is put on. From what I've read Bennett kills any line he is put on.
Well there’s the first problem.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #9314
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
HAH @ Hyman for Bennett.

Because playoffs, thats why.

In all seriousness this is not the time to move Bennett. Or anybody. Wait until the off season.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #9315
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
There would be an epic headbutt if Sutter wants to expose 26 year old Lindholm over 32 year old Backlund.

Won't happen.
Lindholm would likely be #2 on Darryl’s list...so no, Lindholm would not be exposed either.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:29 PM   #9316
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I know that DS, will likely or could likely, have input on the ED list, but it falls to the GM not the coach or am I missing something here?
Old 03-17-2021, 02:35 PM   #9317
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Meh. I will never get on board with the legend of Michael Backlund. The guy is way too inconsistent for my liking and sucks in the playoffs. Was invisible to terrible for a large part of this season. This team needs players that bring it every game not 30-40 games a season.
I thought Backlund was the Flames’ best skater in the playoffs. He is terribly inconsistent, but his high end is very high when he’s on. He’s also tasked to play a very difficult role on this team. Can’t be easy playing a shutdown role every night and constantly starting in the defensive zone. Regardless, the new coach has Mikael Backlund playing as this team’s #1 center. So it doesn’t really matter what we think of him, he’s Darryl’s new teacher’s pet and we’ll have to see how things continue to unfold.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:51 PM   #9318
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikorven View Post
I know that DS, will likely or could likely, have input on the ED list, but it falls to the GM not the coach or am I missing something here?
It’s fair to say the dynamic has likely changed significantly.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #9319
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
They make less money than Bennett because of pedigree and they aren't as impactful in the playoffs, especially Goodrow.

You could argue that Coleman has similar value, but there is no way Goodrow is worth more than Bennett.

Salary doesn't mean everything in value. It is a component. If salary were everything, Josh Leivo would be worth a first round pick.
It does when you have a team absolutely stacked to the nines, with $3 mil left to fill out your roster effectively and essentially guarantee a cup win. They paid what no other team would have paid.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:06 PM   #9320
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would like to offload Bennett for picks at the deadline (ideally a first).
The hype around his playoff performance is somewhat legitimate, but the deadline is the opportune time to sell someone with such a reputation. He is a forth liner presently so we won't miss much.
Closed Thread