Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #401
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame4Ever View Post
On Neimsz physicality:

He doesn't shy away from contact and will finish his checks, but he doesn't have a nasty edge. Moss, when he's playing at his best is quite physical in that he's had a couple of games with 5-7 hits in them, but he doesn't seem to ever just lower the boom. Dustin Brown for example is a guy who is just plain nasty and will try to catch you napping so he can hurt you.
Neimsz just doesn't seem to have that in his game. That doesn't mean he's soft like Bert in the regular season and would rather skate by a guy than finish his check, he just isn't particularly punishing.

On Taylor Hall:
Hall isn't just a slick speedster. He's capable of throwing a big, moment shifting hit and I've seen him do this every game I've watched. In game 3 it was against John Carlson.
He's already 6' and 178 at 16 years old, so it's not out of the question for him to grow an inch or two over the summer. He's still pretty lanky so he still has a lot filling out to do.
He's just a very special player. Ovenchkin light (speed, physicality, shot and a ton of skill) with better playmaking is how I think of him.

Agree completely with your take on Taylor Hall. He is so great to watch!
I can't wait to see how his career takes off.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #402
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, I may, as per usual, have confused a simple point in my post.

1) I compared Hall more to a Hodgson player (Toews may have been a better choice, but he did not play in the OHL?). I didn't mean to compare him to Tedenby, Ellis or Eberle -- I was mentioning them because people also try to compare Nemisz and them due to draft position and it is just as silly (apples v. oranges).

2) Taylor Hall is a different type of player than Nemisz, which I think we all realize, but where it is more subtly important is when accessing their respective games. I don't know how big you are, but I know as a bigger guy (6'4, 220lbs) it was always much much harder to impose my will on the play in high school age sports than people thought it was. They assumed size equaled that ability, but I found the reality (and other big guys have agreed on me with this before) was that smaller players had more mature muscle and more body awareness and could largely offset that size, while the bigger guys were awkward and the size was not yet familiar to them. It took another 4-6 years before that size really became an advantage instead of a liability and I could finally impose myself in those situations.

So all I was trying to say is that Nemisz's game, as a larger player and a powerforward, is accessed differently at this age than a smaller player's game is. Nemisz has new tools (height, size/mass, strength, intimidation) that he can not yet maximize but may (or may not) learn to maximize over the next 5 years. Other players have to prove they are NHL ready far sooner if they do not have those other intangibles coming online as the years pass IMO.

Don't get me wrong though, Hall looks like he is going to be an amazing player, better (in a different way) than Nemisz would ever project to being, and a top draft pick in his year. That goes without saying!

Claeren.
The Following User Says Thank You to Claeren For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #403
Patrick
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow, so Neimez is a late 1st round pick. He has continued to get better ever year. Solid 2 way player. Big body and learning to use it. A nice shot as well plus goes to the net. So at his age, people are saying he isn't physical enough now....

So he imrpoves in pretty much every aspect of his game since being drafted yet people rain on him. IMO, he will be on the wing down the road with Backlund centering him. I see him as a Mike Knuble type player.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #404
Flame4Ever
RIP Mickey

Exp:

I'm just trying to set people's expectations at a reasonable level. I've always said he's going to be a third wheel kind of guy. Some people think a guy with a big frame should be a beast physically, but some big guys just aren't like that. Just trying to make that clear.
If you actually read my post I said he didn't shy away from contact and is very good at using his body to protect the puck. I also said he didn't play a perimeter game like Bertuzzi. I complemented his hands and his effectiveness when he goes to the net and uses his shot. He just doesn't have a nasty disposition, pehaps similarly to what regher was criticized for at the start of his career.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flame4Ever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #405
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Bouma scores the game winner in a 3-2 win over Kelowna. While Backlund had no points he was named 2nd star of the game.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #406
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just trying to set people's expectations at a reasonable level. I've always said he's going to be a third wheel kind of guy. Some people think a guy with a big frame should be a beast physically, but some big guys just aren't like that. Just trying to make that clear.
If you actually read my post I said he didn't shy away from contact and is very good at using his body to protect the puck. I also said he didn't play a perimeter game like Bertuzzi. I complemented his hands and his effectiveness when he goes to the net and uses his shot. He just doesn't have a nasty disposition, pehaps similarly to what regher was criticized for at the start of his career.

Yeah, we totally agree, no worries. I was just adding to your point, not trying to counter it.

Claeren.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #407
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Bouma scores the game winner in a 3-2 win over Kelowna. While Backlund had no points he was named 2nd star of the game.
I watched the game. Backlund was making some excellent passes, putting guys in prime scoring areas all night, and they just couldn't cash unfortunately. He was making things happen all night, playing physical, knocking guys off the puck in both zones and gaining possession leading to direct scoring chances. Just unlucky not to pick up some points. Bouma's goal was a great effort, although Guggenberger went down a bit early and left him space upstairs. Still, Bouma has raised his game this post season, and watching him now makes you wonder how he didn't have more production in the regular season (when he was healthy, of course).
Old 04-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #408
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lance bouma article

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/P...223/story.html

nothing earth-shattering, but one interesting point, he is now 6'1" 215lbs; an inch taller and 20lbs heavier than his draft weight, assuming the article is correct
Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #409
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nemisz with an assist tonight; They go to OT for the 5th time in a row and the Spits prevail again to win the series 4-1

Aulie with an assist tonight as well, but his Wheaties were eliminated by the Hitmen. That likely end Aulie's junior career since he will be 20 and played 4 years in the dub - Sutter has said in the past he doesn't like his prospects to play 5 years of jr

Last edited by Canada 02; 04-22-2009 at 09:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2009, 12:16 AM   #410
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

After Aulie's impressive World Junior tournament, I'd say he's a shoe in to turn pro. Just checked the first post in this thread and he's signed sealed and about to be delivered to the A next season.

Negrin is also signed and Grantham should be soon also. Maybe Spratt will get a shot too.

Last edited by Vulcan; 04-23-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #411
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Looks like Abbotsford should be getting a pretty decent team next year.

Irving in his second year should dominate like he did to close out the season.
Aulie, Negrin, one of Pelech or Palin on the blueline
Backlund...maybe. We'll see if he goes straight to the NHL or whether he gets a year in the AHL

Look out AHL, Sutter's draft picks are coming for ya.

Last edited by Torture; 04-23-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #412
Journey17
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Looks like Abbotsford should be getting a pretty decent team next year.

Irving in his second year should dominate like he did to close out the season.
Aulie, Negrin, one of Pelech or Palin on the blueline
Backlund...maybe. We'll see if he goes straight to the NHL or whether he gets a year in the AHL

Look out AHL, Sutter's draft picks are coming for ya.
While I agree that the defense should be strong, I am a little concerned about where the offense will come from. Plus, need some veterans on the team as experience shows that "winning" AHL teams tend to be a little older rather than filled with hotshot prospects.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #413
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

looks like watt has 6 points in 6 playoff games in LV. carpentier has 2 points in 3 games.

i can't remember if dan spang has a calgary contract or not, but he has 8 points in 6 games.

http://lasvegaswranglers.com/team/stats/
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #414
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryley Grantham with the lone goal in Saturdays 1-0 Rockets victory

Tonight, late in the 2nd period, Giants 3 - Backlund 2
Old 04-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #415
johnnyluv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Greg Nemisz gets an assist and is +3 in Windsor's 10-1 stomping of Brampton. It pleases me greatly to see Cody Hodgson's team get wrecked.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #416
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
Greg Nemisz gets an assist and is +3 in Windsor's 10-1 stomping of Brampton. It pleases me greatly to see Cody Hodgson's team get wrecked.
Yes, it was a fun game to be at. I can't imagine how Brampton was top in the east, they were terrible.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:45 AM   #417
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
Only one assist? Does he not get much PP time or something? I'm not complaining but you'd hope he'd at least have a multi-point night in a 10-1 victory.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #418
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Only one assist? Does he not get much PP time or something? I'm not complaining but you'd hope he'd at least have a multi-point night in a 10-1 victory.
Actually I would prefer he had a goal and assist in a 3 - 1 win
Old 04-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #419
Flame4Ever
RIP Mickey

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Neimsz isn't an offensive powerhouse. Everything in Windsor goes through Hall or Loktionov (who by the way was an absolute steal for the Kings in the 4th round). Neimsz is the guy that does all the little things right and makes a line click. Think Mike Knuble when he played with Thornton and Murray or with Forberg and Gagne. Good player, but not dynamic int he offensive zone. He can keep up with a good line and is good at both ends of the ice, but will never carry aline by himself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flame4Ever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #420
Patrick
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Neimsz isn't an offensive powerhouse. Everything in Windsor goes through Hall or Loktionov (who by the way was an absolute steal for the Kings in the 4th round). Neimsz is the guy that does all the little things right and makes a line click. Think Mike Knuble when he played with Thornton and Murray or with Forberg and Gagne. Good player, but not dynamic int he offensive zone. He can keep up with a good line and is good at both ends of the ice, but will never carry aline by himself.
So in other words he isnt a franchise player. Very few players can carry a line by themself. A ton of guys that can play 1st line but need other 1st line guys to help out. Nothing wrong with that.I quoted him as Knuble earlier and if thats what he can be..so be it. Thats a steal of a player at that spot than!
Closed Thread