Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2022, 01:26 PM   #2301
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

£60M for Richarlison? Lol wut??

I think they may regret that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:45 PM   #2302
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don’t get that.

He’s okay but he’s also kind of plateaued at Everton and I don’t think he’s really taken any steps forward. Guess you hope he takes a leap in a better team with more service.

I’m surprised they didn’t take a look at somebody like Berardi or Scamacca from Sassulo and the Italian National team. Comparable players and probably costs about 20 Million less.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-30-2022 at 01:48 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:47 PM   #2303
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

to be fair, Kane, Son, Kulusevski and Richarlison is a nice attacking corps. Knowing Conte, he'll make it work.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:32 AM   #2304
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
to be fair, Kane, Son, Kulusevski and Richarlison is a nice attacking corps. Knowing Conte, he'll make it work.
It’s definitely this. I mean Son - Richarlison - Kulusevski with Kane in behind is pretty compelling when you play teams that setup the low-block. Richarlison can play all across the front three and I think he’s a great addition.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:04 AM   #2305
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Mo Salah da do do !!!!

Mo Salah da do do !!!!

Mo Salah
The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Hendog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 10:59 AM   #2306
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
Mo Salah da do do !!!!

Mo Salah da do do !!!!

Mo Salah
3-years?? ~£350k/week?

Couldnt be happier!! That is fantastic!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 11:09 AM   #2307
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
£60M for Richarlison? Lol wut??

I think they may regret that.
Forgot to comment on this, but it’s £60m for the starting striker for Brazil and only £45m if you want the backup. It’s also that £15m savings for a guy who was the backup striker to literally no one with Manchester City!
Old 07-01-2022, 11:29 AM   #2308
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Forgot to comment on this, but it’s £60m for the starting striker for Brazil and only £45m if you want the backup. It’s also that £15m savings for a guy who was the backup striker to literally no one with Manchester City!
That's kind of a silly thing to say on its face. I don't think there's a huge disparity between Richarlison and Jesus, but it's not really any different than someone paying say $60M for Tammy Abraham and saying "Yeah, but Kane is $100M! And we only paid $60M for his backup!"
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:43 AM   #2309
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it depends on your perspective, I'm not a huge fan of either of them really, but if I had to pick between Richarlison or Jesus, I'd probably choose Jesus.

Despite him being the saddest man on the planet.

Old 07-01-2022, 01:25 PM   #2310
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1542885347851476993

Old 07-01-2022, 02:02 PM   #2311
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
That's kind of a silly thing to say on its face. I don't think there's a huge disparity between Richarlison and Jesus, but it's not really any different than someone paying say $60M for Tammy Abraham and saying "Yeah, but Kane is $100M! And we only paid $60M for his backup!"
Truth is, as a supporter it doesn't really matter how much the clubs pay for players. It's not my money. But Jesus is questionable to me. He wasn't exactly a nailed on starter for City where they effectively had no other striker. Say what you will about Pep being a chequebook manager, the truth is he knows better than any of us about Jesus and his attributes.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:19 PM   #2312
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Truth is, as a supporter it doesn't really matter how much the clubs pay for players. It's not my money. But Jesus is questionable to me. He wasn't exactly a nailed on starter for City where they effectively had no other striker. Say what you will about Pep being a chequebook manager, the truth is he knows better than any of us about Jesus and his attributes.
While true, you could also argue that Pep has a penchant for playing without an out-and-out striker. Furthermore, City had a number options in terms of how they want to line up their XI whereas Everton....not so much.

That being said, you are correct in that Brazil do favour Richarlison over Jesus.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:19 AM   #2313
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks like Ronaldo has told United he wants to leave. Curious to see how this one plays out, there's not a lot of realistic options out there for him. Also difficult for United to sell him in a summer where the striker market is bat#### crazy.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:44 AM   #2314
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
looks like Ronaldo has told United he wants to leave. Curious to see how this one plays out, there's not a lot of realistic options out there for him. Also difficult for United to sell him in a summer where the striker market is bat#### crazy.
Now you just need De Gea to want out and let the Relegation Battle commence!

You could be the most expensive team in the Championship!

Old 07-02-2022, 02:47 PM   #2315
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

From Miguel Delaney:

United should be delighted to lose Ronaldo. It’s over. It’s been over for 2/3 years, at least. The ludicrous debate was never “where would they be without him”, it was, “what cost is it to the collective to serve one individual”.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:49 PM   #2316
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
From Miguel Delaney:

United should be delighted to lose Ronaldo. It’s over. It’s been over for 2/3 years, at least. The ludicrous debate was never “where would they be without him”, it was, “what cost is it to the collective to serve one individual”.
Well. I dont think its that simple.

The 'Collective' really is not all that good.

If you remove the points from last season that they got just from otherworldly performances of De Gea and Ronaldo that team is in a relegation battle.

If you want to contend that the group, as it is right now, is better off without Ronaldo...I dont think you could realistically support that position.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:08 PM   #2317
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cristiano Ronaldo has made an official request to leave Manchester United this summer so he can continue to play Champions League football next season.
https://global.espn.com/football/cri...league-sources

Quote:
Barcelona president Joan Laporta has insisted the club have no intention of selling Manchester United target Frenkie de Jong this summer.
https://global.espn.com/football/sto...jong-president

Early days yet...but that is looking grim.

Subtract Ronaldo, dont add de Jong...United might have to whip out ye ol' chequebook and start paying premiums or next season might be unpleasant.

Old 07-02-2022, 09:43 PM   #2318
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zahavi should immediately be on the horn with Mendes, filling the gap Lewa will leave with CR7
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:49 PM   #2319
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Zahavi should immediately be on the horn with Mendes, filling the gap Lewa will leave with CR7
Yep. Ronaldo can fill his trophy case with a German title and be playing on a team thats not all that far removed from a CL trophy and have a shot at another one.

Its no surprise that he's not enthused about staying at United. Really, the guy is in the twilight of his career, he wants to win what he can win he's not in it for projects and placement...he wants trophies. Not the Europa League. Granted, that would be an ironic trophy that he hasnt won before.

And everyone is essentially going to pay him the same or similar.

At this juncture in his career he's a Hitman. He's going to go and do whatever he wants.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:32 AM   #2320
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still fully expect the de Jong transfer to happen. Laporta is just setting up his "we wanted to keep him, but evil La Liga and their cruel rules forced a sale" spin ... he did similarly with Messi last year. Also, I find it hilarious that he says "we'll do everything to keep him", but at the same time concedes that de Jong would have to take a massive pay cut. Laporta is just full of ####, as usual.

With Ronaldo, I don't think it's black and white. I think that people who just heap all the blame for Uniteds bad season on him have no idea what they are talking about, but at the same time, I do think it's an unhappy marriage for both sides at this point. I'm just curious a.) which club would be out there for Ronaldo, and b.) what United's plans to replace him are.

a.) I actually can't think of many. It's no surprise that Napoli has been mentioned, because I don't think there's a club from the upper echelon that would fit. Bayern could be a possibility, once they sell Lewandowski to Barcelona - but I doubt they'd screw their wage bill like that. I don't see United selling him to another PL club, there's nothing in Spain and I can't see PSG either. That leaves Italy.

b.) the main reason why I'd have prefered another year of Ronaldo is the fact that striker market is just messed up this year. Nunez cost a fortune after a single good season in Portugal, and there really aren't a lot of quality options out there. Also, United have planned on spending their whole budget elsewhere and then go for a striker next year ... so Ronaldo leaving complicates things, to say the least.

But while many United fans lost their #### yesterday, I don't think it's all doom and gloom. Like I said, I still expect de Jong to happen ... and we'll just have to see how the Ronaldo thing shakes out.