Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #41
JT96912
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We went on a seven game winning streak when he got injured during the season. I'm still holding out hope for this series. The third line was pathetic with him on it. I think Janko's game will improve a lot tonight.
JT96912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #42
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there is a lot more to this story than just an aging player who lost a step. For a 40 goal scorer who’s supposed to be a beast in the playoffs, why is he on his 5th team in 9 years? His stats the last 5 years have been fairly pedestrian. I’m thinking he’s a player who benefitted from some good line mates in Pittsburgh and has worn out his welcome everywhere else. He’s basically David Clarkson at this point. Hopefully the Flames can get out of this contract just like the Leafs with Clarkson.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #43
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
I think there is a lot more to this story than just an aging player who lost a step. For a 40 goal scorer who’s supposed to be a beast in the playoffs, why is he on his 5th team in 9 years? His stats the last 5 years have been fairly pedestrian. I’m thinking he’s a player who benefitted from some good line mates in Pittsburgh and has worn out his welcome everywhere else. He’s basically David Clarkson at this point. Hopefully the Flames can get out of this contract just like the Leafs with Clarkson.
Leafs traded Clarkson to Columbus for Nathan Horton who is still on there books but career is over due to injuries. Anybody else like that?, I think there was some talk about Roberto Luongo "retiring" due to injury but staying on the payroll to avoid recapture penalties mainly for Vancouver.
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #44
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think there is a lot more to this story than just an aging player who lost a step. For a 40 goal scorer who’s supposed to be a beast in the playoffs, why is he on his 5th team in 9 years? His stats the last 5 years have been fairly pedestrian. I’m thinking he’s a player who benefitted from some good line mates in Pittsburgh and has worn out his welcome everywhere else.
The comments about Neal's dressing-room value and personality are hard to figure out. He seems to be a big personality. Confident. But he also rubs some people the wrong way.

Back before the Flames signed him, I looked up a few articles from his previous cities, and several of them were not complementary. An article from Pittsburgh said "his act wears thin after a while" and suggested the rest of the team weren't sad to see him go. One from Nashville said he was a polarizing personality. Hard to say what happens behind closed doors, but there does seem to be something of a cloud around Neal.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #45
JT96912
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I made this argument earlier in the season and many disagreed with me. Back in the day he was very much like a Chucky type player with great linemates. Why Tre brought him in is baffling to me. Nashville wouldn't pay him. Vegas wouldn't pay him. Why did we?

Personally, I never liked the player and I hated the signing. With him arguing with Smith early in the season and having words with Peters now, he appears to be a bad guy to have in the locker room. I honestly think we would of had at least 10 more points during the regular season with a competent player in his spot. I hope he isn't here next season but his value has to be negative at this point. I doubt anyone will want him.
JT96912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #46
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Neal shouldn't have seen another second of icetime after this: https://streamable.com/64qeo

I've never seen him skate that quickly in a Flames uniform. Saved all his speed to fly the zone I guess.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 06:49 PM   #47
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Perennial 20 goal scorer who doesn't even get 20 total points on the second best team in the league. What a bum. Good riddance James Neal.

This is a really telling stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
It may not change for Tuesday either... but..

And I agree, the cliches about accountability and statements are media talking points, nothing more.

It shouldn't. If he is sat, he should stay that way and not dress until we see another round. Couldn't risk seeing if this "motivates" him or not in a do or die.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #48
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Neal shouldn't have seen another second of icetime after this: https://streamable.com/64qeo

I've never seen him skate that quickly in a Flames uniform. Saved all his speed to fly the zone I guess.
So bad!!! Are you able to post the same thing he did with 8 mins left? I don’t even know how to start doing that.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #49
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The comments about Neal's dressing-room value and personality are hard to figure out. He seems to be a big personality. Confident. But he also rubs some people the wrong way.

Back before the Flames signed him, I looked up a few articles from his previous cities, and several of them were not complementary. An article from Pittsburgh said "his act wears thin after a while" and suggested the rest of the team weren't sad to see him go. One from Nashville said he was a polarizing personality. Hard to say what happens behind closed doors, but there does seem to be something of a cloud around Neal.
At one point, he was a known "dirty" player. Not Matt Cooke, but ... dirty. Kinda guy who pokes people in piles, butt-ends people as they go to the bench, the little nasty stuff, and a few bigger incidents. So I can see him being polarizing at best. But he cleaned that stuff up in Vegas.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #50
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So does he get buried in the minors? Or is he our Lucic now?
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #51
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It will be interesting to see. Does he have enough pride to dig in, re-learn the game, commit to some other style of play.... or does he cash his cheques and shrug?

I'd put him in the AHL and keep a hard working rookie up in his place, just to show the rest of the team that it's not acceptable.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #52
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Can't tell me the guy really cares when you see stuff like that.

Amazing how much guys like Neal and Lucic can relax into being complete non-factors after signing huge long term deals at 30 years old. Going to become known as the "sail into the sunset" deal.

Give me Czarnik or Dube any day over that.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #53
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #54
keeper34
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Nice rush
keeper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:48 PM   #55
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

NEAL is too slow and not enough skill for the new NHL. Haven't seen a career nosedive this fast since Allen Iverson went from the Nuggets to the Pistons. At least A.I. still produced the odd game with Detroit though can't say that about No Deal Neal
Old 04-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #56
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Glad someone posted this...play turned the entire game
Old 04-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #57
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Semi bold prediction is that James Neal scores a crucial goal for the Flames this playoffs still.

You got a little of that stuff for sale?
Old 04-19-2019, 09:21 PM   #58
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

NM, wrong thread
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:59 PM   #59
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow, Ron McLean was a ref?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:03 PM   #60
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

TSN turning point of the series.

I can’t believe I bought into the just wait for playoffs Neal BS