Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #21
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I am intrigued by this Barlow fellow.
He's good in traffic
ba-dum-cha.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #22
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

We replacing Monahan? I mean Barkov would be legit but uh hes not going anywhere.

I'd advocate for one of 3 top 2 centers (or projected) that could be available.

1. Matt Duchene (UFA)
2. Pavel Zacha (RFA)
3. Ivan Barbashev (RFA)

None of them inspire me the way Lindholm did. But other available Centers like W.Karlsson or Kerfoot or any of that Ilk are pretty much going nowhere.

With options 2 and 3, top 2 center upside and can play a tough game. Duchene I think speaks for himself. Hes stepped up huge in CLB. Although I am getting a little gun shy about signing UFAs. That's two good wingers in a row we gotten egg on our face.

Neal really needs to come back with a normal James Neal season next year.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #23
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also. Sean Monahan is a #1 C despite the irate frustration this series has placed upon him. The fanbase right now are acting like spoiled brats.

It's not just Monahan out ther struggling, gaudreau, Backlund and his stupid lack of discipline, frolik has been hot garbage. Tkachuk outside of game 1 has been 1/4 of what he usually is. 4th lines been stymied too.

So wtf. Trade Monahan......no way Jose.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #24
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

And of the last remaining 2013 1st round centers left for the pickins, Wennberg would be the only one that's available. And we want moar Swedes right? Right???
Old 04-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #25
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe we find room to sign Duchene?

I dunno, unless Bennett or Dube can turn into this role we're probably stick relying on wingers
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:15 PM   #26
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

This thread is at least half a day premature, maybe more

One thought experiment though on this Good Friday.

Do the Flames go from a mediocre centre ice lineup with Monahan-Backlund-Janko-Ryan to a very strong one with Lindholm-Monahan-Backlund/Janko-Ryan?

Treliving could use Brodie+ to fix the hole at RW that moving Lindholm out of there would create.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk

gives Gaudreau two players who excel in physical puck battles since that is Gaudreau's biggest weakness. All 3 players can pass and shoot. A true triple threat line.

Bennett-Monahan-Czarnik/Dube/Mangiapane

Bennett gives the line some grit and bite. Czarnik/Dube can be a playmaker and Monahan works as a finisher. If we could manufacture a true secondary scoring threat line that would be where we become extremely hard to check. Bennett and Czarnik/Dube/Mangiapane would have to take steps forward

Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik

What a shutdown line! And if Backlund/Frolik are on the 3rd line their mediocre offensive production is just fine coming from there.

4th line hasn't been a problem. Ryan-Hathaway and whoever on LW.

Or just keep the Gaudreau-Monahan line together and have Lindholm centre another scoring line with Backlund on the 3rd.

Bennett-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Gaudreau-Monahan-????
????-Backlund-Frolik

Then again Frolik is probably gone this summer you'd think.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 04-19-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #27
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
I think Monahan and Co are finding out what’s needed to take that next step. Win or lose, some grim determination is needed to win.

Monahan is part of the solution, he’s not the problem. Every team in the league want that player at that contract.

No team EVER wins without all pieces just coming together, its such a crap shoot. Look at Tampa - built the wrong way? Hedman, Kucherov, Point, Stamkos and all the other stars are not good enough?

It’s luck, , timing, experience, talent, coaching, leadership, goaltending. President Trophy teams are rare SC winners. Hot teams that are clicking win the Cup. Crosby and Malkin are not guaranteed to win you the cup - these play driving centres got SWEPT. A year ago fans poo pooed all over O’Reilly and Duchesne, now they’re awesome again.

Calgary is slumping at the wrong time. Peters is not adjusting the game plan (####ing trap that neutral zone already and cloooooose the gaps). Avs are hotter than hell riding the confidence of McKinnon and Aebischer.

It’s sucks to see it, but win or lose, this team will be better for it.
Wonder what he's up to these days?
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:24 AM   #28
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Haha meant Grubauer of course...
Old 04-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #29
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please don’t trade Monahan. The Flames need another top 6 centre to take the offensive pressure off Monahan, reduce Backlund’s ice time, and move Jankowski to the wing.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:48 AM   #30
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Please don’t trade Monahan. The Flames need another top 6 centre to take the offensive pressure off Monahan, reduce Backlund’s ice time, and move Jankowski to the wing.
I think the challenge is that it'll be difficult to bring in that player without giving up a major asset, and that would likely have to include Monahan.

Johnny needs a centre that plays fast, strong, and has puck handling skills to carry the puck in themselves on the rush. Avalanche knew they just had to left wing lockdown Johnny, and it was as easy as that to shut down the first line offense. You need to be able to rush down the centre of the ice to make the defense more honest.

Monahan is a player that produces off of his linemates, moreso than him making his own offense. It would be better to get rid of him to bring in that top line need, or if it's possible to keep him and Johnny while bringing in that ideal #1 C type of player, then Monahan can be on the second line with Tkachuk where he may be more suitable. Backlund will finally be slotted as a #3 C which is what he's best suited as.

Last edited by Joborule; 04-20-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #31
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that the flames need an upgrade on a #1 center, but those kind of centers don't grow on trees. Teams don't tend to trade those kind of players. You pretty much have to draft one. Don't see flames drafting in the top 10 for a while either.

I guess they could try for Duchene, but he is going to get paid on July 1st. Have to think it would take $9 million per.

Would Pens finally think about trading Malkin? That said, i don't think he would be a good fit long term.

I would like to add Kadri if possible, but thats not helping out the 1st line.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #32
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
This thread is at least half a day premature, maybe more

One thought experiment though on this Good Friday.

Do the Flames go from a mediocre centre ice lineup with Monahan-Backlund-Janko-Ryan to a very strong one with Lindholm-Monahan-Backlund/Janko-Ryan?

Treliving could use Brodie+ to fix the hole at RW that moving Lindholm out of there would create.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk

gives Gaudreau two players who excel in physical puck battles since that is Gaudreau's biggest weakness. All 3 players can pass and shoot. A true triple threat line.

Bennett-Monahan-Czarnik/Dube/Mangiapane

Bennett gives the line some grit and bite. Czarnik/Dube can be a playmaker and Monahan works as a finisher. If we could manufacture a true secondary scoring threat line that would be where we become extremely hard to check. Bennett and Czarnik/Dube/Mangiapane would have to take steps forward

Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik

What a shutdown line! And if Backlund/Frolik are on the 3rd line their mediocre offensive production is just fine coming from there.

4th line hasn't been a problem. Ryan-Hathaway and whoever on LW.

Or just keep the Gaudreau-Monahan line together and have Lindholm centre another scoring line with Backlund on the 3rd.

Bennett-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Gaudreau-Monahan-????
????-Backlund-Frolik

Then again Frolik is probably gone this summer you'd think.
Lindholm is not the answer to the flames centre ice woes.

The Flames need a top tier centre. Assembling a collection of middling centres isn't going to do it. The only team that has sort of made that work is Nashville, and I don't see a ton of similarities between the two organizations.

I like Lindholm a lot, but I see him as a backlund-esque player, which is not getting it done.

If you're going to keep Monahan you need to add a centre that brings basically all the qualities that he doesn't, but who still also brings goals and points. So maybe the centre the flames acquire isn't a 40 goal 100 point player, but a 30 goal Kadri type might be workable.

I would be using Backlund as my trade bait to acquire a top flight centre.

The more I think about it, the best solution in terms of availability, skill, cap and term might be Getzlaf.

2 Years left at 8.2 but a final year salary of just 6 million.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #33
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames should open the books for Matt Duchene. 7 points in 4 games vs the Lightning. He was almost a ppg this season as well. He’s one of those types of players who can keep up with Johnny Gaudreau because of his skating ability.

Just removing Frolik and Stone’s contracts could open up enough cap space to make this feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #34
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Flames should open the books for Matt Duchene. 7 points in 4 games vs the Lightning. He was almost a ppg this season as well. He’s one of those types of players who can keep up with Johnny Gaudreau because of his skating ability.

Just removing Frolik and Stone’s contracts could open up enough cap space to make this feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They have 10 mil in cap space with no goalies signed and they have to resign Tkachuk. Anyone expecting a big splash in UFA this off-season is going to be disappointed.

They should tweak no doubt, but the core is the core, unless you pull a blockbuster trade.
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #35
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we can succeed with Monahan as our #1 center but he has to do two things:
1. Be more physically durable. His body needs to hold up. I'm expecting to hear about an injury for him.
2. He needs to learn from this and figure out how to battle hard. He didn't seem to have that.

I'm 2nd guessing if he can fix either point. However, a guy with similar skill can work as #1 if he doesn't have those two concerns.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #36
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
We replacing Monahan? I mean Barkov would be legit but uh hes not going anywhere.

I'd advocate for one of 3 top 2 centers (or projected) that could be available.

1. Matt Duchene (UFA)
2. Pavel Zacha (RFA)
3. Ivan Barbashev (RFA)

None of them inspire me the way Lindholm did. But other available Centers like W.Karlsson or Kerfoot or any of that Ilk are pretty much going nowhere.

With options 2 and 3, top 2 center upside and can play a tough game. Duchene I think speaks for himself. Hes stepped up huge in CLB. Although I am getting a little gun shy about signing UFAs. That's two good wingers in a row we gotten egg on our face.

Neal really needs to come back with a normal James Neal season next year.

Zacha is a 1st round bust. Basically Bennet but lesser talent. Can fill in bottom six role but he is not going to be an answer for top 6 center.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote