Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #5581
81MC
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
Is such a thing as a good Ford dealer service shop? I have always known they were expensive but I assumed they were at least competent.

I have service agreement for my commercial van. Basically free service for the duration of the lease (oil, filters, brakes etc).

Maclin sucks, after doing tire rotation on each service call (6 out 8 visits), they failed to reset the air pressure sensor properly, so light goes off within 24 hours of the service, PIA.

Separate private mechanic changes my tires twice a year from all season to winter, no problem with resets on the sensor.

Drop off vehicle once to get a minor thing look at, they did the normal oil change etc, which I didn't ask for (it only had been 2k since last change). They never did look at the problem i was having, so vehicle down for one day, freshly change oil, problem not looked at, and obviously not resolved.

Fired them went to Woodridge, initially had no issues, had brake pads changed Thursday, brakes failed today, luckily I didn't get in an accident. Not exactly sure what they did wrong, but the van is going to be down for another day at least.

Any suggestions / tips, other than dealer service sucks and don't get the service package.
I use Universal through my work, there are several service advisors there who are absolutley top notch and I would recommended. Over several years I have been routinely impressed with their service.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #5582
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Universal has been alright for my work vehicles but I've personally liked cam Clark in Airdrie

Negative experiences with Woodridge and Maclin as well

Last edited by btimbit; 08-12-2019 at 03:36 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 11:36 PM   #5583
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Can't understand how they sell any Rangers or Colorados. They don't look nearly as cool and won't hold their value the same.
The Hennessey Ranger Velociraptor is one of the few trucks I'd consider owning, personally.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #5584
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody own or have owned a Land Rover Discovery Series II? Specifically a 2003?

Thinking about getting one as a used side vehicle just for fun, and then drive it into the ground. Anyone have any experiences with these?
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:08 PM   #5585
you&me
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Anybody own or have owned a Land Rover Discovery Series II? Specifically a 2003?

Thinking about getting one as a used side vehicle just for fun, and then drive it into the ground. Anyone have any experiences with these?
"Driving into the ground". That is the ideal outlook to have when considering the purchase of a pre-owned Land Rover of that vintage.

The only question is, what sort of timeline are you expecting? Do you want to make it all the way home from the purchase? Or are your expectations not that high?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #5586
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoovie drove his into the ground.

burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #5587
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
"Driving into the ground". That is the ideal outlook to have when considering the purchase of a pre-owned Land Rover of that vintage.

The only question is, what sort of timeline are you expecting? Do you want to make it all the way home from the purchase? Or are your expectations not that high?
Haha, it'd be nice to make it home! Let's just say I'd only be paying four digits for this, so expectations are low. Vehicle seems to be in great shape, otherwise I wouldn't be inquiring about it. It definitely wouldn't be for anything more than a part-time vehicle , maybe to take it to the mountains during the winter and stuff. I like the looks of these models, hence the interest.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #5588
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody installed their own trailer hitch? I looked at the instructions for the ones they sell and install at Uhaul and it looks pretty straightforward on the Rav4, is there any reason why this wouldn’t be a DIY task?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:56 PM   #5589
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Anybody installed their own trailer hitch? I looked at the instructions for the ones they sell and install at Uhaul and it looks pretty straightforward on the Rav4, is there any reason why this wouldn’t be a DIY task?
I have done it and it's weirdly easy. I did it on my Toyota Sienna. Maybe it's a similar deal on a Rav? There are pre drilled/threaded holes ready to rock. No tricks or special skills needed.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:56 PM   #5590
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

I recall needing to use a torque wrench. If you don't have one, they're pretty cheap at CT.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #5591
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I DIY almost everything, but when I found the cheapest price for a hitch it was about the same price The Hitch Shop charged with it installed. The Impreza requires a few tricky maneuvers, so I just let them do it. Give them a call and see what they charge.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #5592
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I've done this too on my SUV. The most critical part of the install IMO is making sure and threaded inserts used to mount the hitch structure are free of debris.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #5593
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Depends on the vehicle. For one that just requires an exhaust drop or a frame bolt-on, a DIY is easy. If you start cutting body panels, less so.

Any time the hitch question comes up, the answer is always "Call Standens". 9/10 times its close to or cheaper than the DIY job. Plus they have a sweet cafeteria you can grab breakfast in while you wait. I had mine done there for $20 more than I could have bought the hitch for. My GF got hers installed cheaper than a DIY. Buddy of mine saved $450 from dealer cost.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #5594
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why do hitches always pre-maturely start rusting?
I assume it's because the shape (flat spots, corners) provides an optimal spot for moisture to collect and remain?

I had an aftermarket one put on just last year by The Hitch Shop and its already showing signs of rust.

OEM hitches are also not immune to this problem.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #5595
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hyundai, we had one of their mini vans, which at the time was good value and ended up being a great hassle free vehicle.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #5596
Calgary14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
I assume it's because the shape (flat spots, corners) provides an optimal spot for moisture to collect and remain?

I had an aftermarket one put on just last year by The Hitch Shop and its already showing signs of rust.

I've wondered this too. I have a trailer hitch that basically started rusting after only one year. It could be the location for moisture to collect but I would think there are other spots for moisture to collect down there that barely rust or take years for rust to start. I've looked at other cars and same issue, lots of rust on the trailer hitch but not much elsewhere
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #5597
Nufy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post

I used to do the old tennis ball trick on my hitch...until someone stole it...

Was nice and rust free until then...
Old 08-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #5598
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I used to do the old tennis ball trick on my hitch...until someone stole it...

Was nice and rust free until then...
That's just the ball, though. I think these guys are talking about the whole hitch assembly.

I think the next time I buy one I'm going to have it stripped, then powder coated before I put it on. It has to just be poor quality finishing on these. Maybe finish it in box liner?
Old 08-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #5599
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

My prayers have been answered...

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #5600
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That's just the ball, though. I think these guys are talking about the whole hitch assembly.

I think the next time I buy one I'm going to have it stripped, then powder coated before I put it on. It has to just be poor quality finishing on these. Maybe finish it in box liner?
The ball!?

People who drive around with the ball in are the worst. Off to tow something bud!? Oh you haven’t towed anything in 6 months?? Take it off.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post: