Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #7921
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Still reading some of these messages as if you're a members of the Hell's Angels.
Reads like Chris from Sopranos.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #7922
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Websites where you scroll through a list that don't return to the same part of the list when you hit the back button grind my gears. Two specific examples: looking for hotels on some sites if you click the link to the hotel from the list it loads the website in the same window but when you go back to the original list page it returns to the top instead of that specific hotel. Example two: a few online shopping websites are designed in a stupid manner where instead of x amount of items per page it is a continuous scroll and it loads more items when you hit the bottom. If you click an item for details and go back to the original product page it starts you back at the top again.

I try to always open links in new windows because of this but sometimes I mistakenly left click and it frustrates me so much.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #7923
Ashartus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Websites where you scroll through a list that don't return to the same part of the list when you hit the back button grind my gears. Two specific examples: looking for hotels on some sites if you click the link to the hotel from the list it loads the website in the same window but when you go back to the original list page it returns to the top instead of that specific hotel. Example two: a few online shopping websites are designed in a stupid manner where instead of x amount of items per page it is a continuous scroll and it loads more items when you hit the bottom. If you click an item for details and go back to the original product page it starts you back at the top again.

I try to always open links in new windows because of this but sometimes I mistakenly left click and it frustrates me so much.

That and sites where hitting the "back" button reloads the current page instead of taking you back to where you were before.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:39 AM   #7924
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being a renter RGMGs.

This specific incident relates to a shower door. You know the really cheap looking ones that come in three parts of glass framed with aluminium that need to fit together just right to open and close and also rust very easily becoming stiff over time. The ones that you would never have in your own shower but are just fine for your rental property. Well I had one of these in my former house. It seemed fine until one day as I went to leave the shower something in the doors wasn't lined up correctly and I found myself stuck. The doors were not moving right or left and my only way out was to go sideways, removing the doors. I got out! Then I needed to put the doors back though which was easier said than done since these are by far the worst ever way created to put a barrier on the shower. I was almost finished when oh no, Timber! one of the panels fell and the glass broke. Great just great. I contacted the real estate company and told them what happened. I had a faint hope I might not be on the hook for the damage due to the aged condition of the shower door but of course nope I am responsible. That is the story of how it cost me $300 to have a shower.

Plot twist, that is not the end of my gear grinder. So I got the glass fixed and continued to live with this crappy shower door. It was clearly corroding over time and getting worse but I did become very skilled at putting it back together. I almost forgot about all the drama it caused me...until today... We moved out recently and I called the agent to ask why the delay on receiving our bond back. The real estate agent told me the owners are refusing to give us our full bond back because the shower door had come off the rollers!!! AHHHHHHHHH
Old 08-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #7925
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Germany, parts of Italy, Portugal, Paris. All 4 of those places i went last fall had the expectation.
What about Greece? I'm there in a couple weeks, do you have to tip there? And is that true almost nowhere in Greece accepts credit cards? I'm there for the better part of a month, if literally nothing can go on credit card during that span, that could get a little...dicey haha. Especially with the current Canadian/Euro exchange rate.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #7926
DiracSpike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
What about Greece? I'm there in a couple weeks, do you have to tip there? And is that true almost nowhere in Greece accepts credit cards? I'm there for the better part of a month, if literally nothing can go on credit card during that span, that could get a little...dicey haha. Especially with the current Canadian/Euro exchange rate.
I was there four years ago but yeah, I wouldn't plan on breaking out the credit card. Most vendors for stuff you'll want to do like eat drink or rent quads won't accept them, the only place I used mine was with large business like the ferries to buy tickets between islands. The exchange rate is gonna #### you no matter what either cash or credit cards getting converted later but the good news is prices are pretty cheap, the best gyro wrap I had in my life was 2.5 euro and restaurant entrees are like 10-15
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #7927
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah I'll be eating street gyros every night I think..save for the odd time I treat myself, since it sounds like I don't have to worry about tipping..
Old 08-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #7928
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Yup. I was passed up for something earlier this year, despite being way better than the guy who got it and his YouTube education. The difference? He cuts the VP's lawn for him.

I learned a long time ago to only put in the expected amount of effort for my job, going above and beyond never gets the type of results one would expect. Corporations don't care about you, you're only a number, and the best way to get promoted is to know the right people
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 03:01 AM   #7929
curves2000
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post

Being a Greek Canadian myself and traveling there every year, I can help with some assistance.

Debit and credit card payments several years ago could be a little challenging for some SOME services but that's not the case now. Recent legislation has mandated that almost all merchants and business need to provide a point of sale terminal and accept debit/credit.

Cash is still king though and I always advise traveling with some cash, especially for smaller purchases. It can just make things smoother and quicker for all.

Just a quick note, previously when taking out cash from ATM machines or making purchases with credit, it was always charged in Euro's and than converted at your local bank and ATM's were almost always free.

In the last two years I have noticed a trend where the terminal will ask you if you want the amount charged in Euros or in your local currency. I always found the conversion to be MUCH higher than what your local bank may charge so I would recommend keeping the transaction in Euros.

Tipping in Greece is a little bit of a different game over the years. Long story short, you don't HAVE to tip, servers and other service staff are paid their wages and some places will pay out a small portion of the bill to the service staff (10%)

You can get away with tipping 10% or more if you want, nobody will say no to getting a little something.

You will LOVE the gyros, I can assure you of that. Get them loaded with tomatoes, onions, fries and tzatziki!! The food, the cold coffee's (Frappe & Freddo) and the sunshine & beach's will hopefully make you trip!

Where about's will you be traveling? Any other questions or concerns you can PM me and I can help as much as possible. I am booking my annual trip here probably this week!

Enjoy your travels!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 04:45 AM   #7930
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Being a Greek Canadian myself and traveling there every year, I can help with some assistance.

Debit and credit card payments several years ago could be a little challenging for some SOME services but that's not the case now. Recent legislation has mandated that almost all merchants and business need to provide a point of sale terminal and accept debit/credit.

Cash is still king though and I always advise traveling with some cash, especially for smaller purchases. It can just make things smoother and quicker for all.

Just a quick note, previously when taking out cash from ATM machines or making purchases with credit, it was always charged in Euro's and than converted at your local bank and ATM's were almost always free.

In the last two years I have noticed a trend where the terminal will ask you if you want the amount charged in Euros or in your local currency. I always found the conversion to be MUCH higher than what your local bank may charge so I would recommend keeping the transaction in Euros.

Tipping in Greece is a little bit of a different game over the years. Long story short, you don't HAVE to tip, servers and other service staff are paid their wages and some places will pay out a small portion of the bill to the service staff (10%)

You can get away with tipping 10% or more if you want, nobody will say no to getting a little something.

You will LOVE the gyros, I can assure you of that. Get them loaded with tomatoes, onions, fries and tzatziki!! The food, the cold coffee's (Frappe & Freddo) and the sunshine & beach's will hopefully make you trip!

Where about's will you be traveling? Any other questions or concerns you can PM me and I can help as much as possible. I am booking my annual trip here probably this week!

Enjoy your travels!
Awesome, much appreciated! Good tip about keeping it in Euros at the ATM too, thank you sir. The first week is the islands..Mykonos x2, Delos (day trip), Santorini x2, Ios x2, then I figured Crete (Heraklion) to see Knossos as I have 3 days before the mainland tour starts..not sure where I'll go besides Heraklion or how long I'll stay there out of those 3 free days..I'm open to suggestion!

Then it's all mainland history nerd-out stuff (I'm obsessed with ancient Mediterranean, especially Greek history); Athens overnight, Meteora, Kalambaka overnight (brief stop at Thermopylae), Delphi overnight, Olympia overnight, Mycenae, Napflion overnight, Corinth, then finally back to Athens again.

I just got a one way ticket as I'd like to do a few more days somewhere before finally heading back home (maybe out of Greece by that point..possibly Italy somewhere? Idk), but I may be pretty exhausted and broke by then so we'll just see where we're at haha.

EDIT: PM'd

Last edited by Sainters7; 08-13-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #7931
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

7:30, full daylight, I'm crossing Kensington Road at a signalized intersection with a walk signal. Grocery bags in both hands. Car guns it and turns through the intersection without paying attention and nearly runs me over. I jump out of the way and he slams on his brakes enough to miss and then proceeds. Hilariously he had a dash cam. You know that footage will never be aired.

The best part though is next, the clown in a big dirty Yukon behind him completes the turn but drives slowly so he can yell some incoherent nonsense through his half cracked window at me like I'm at fault for him nearly rear ending the first car. What an ignorant entitled...

IDWTLOTPA
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:33 PM   #7932
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

People that block their license plate from a car for sale ad.

Yes, you're posting on Facebook, I can see your full name, your friend's names, and your 30 most recently attended events.

But please, cover up your plate which is displayed in public so I can't ask the registry to release information they can't due to FOI policy.

Your thumb in the way is ever so clever.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #7933
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

There are air hand dryers that are so loud they hurt my ears, and here’s a study to prove it. The xlerator dryers they have at Tim Hortons are the worst.

https://academic.oup.com/pch/advance...pxz046/5519522
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #7934
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
There are air hand dryers that are so loud they hurt my ears, and here’s a study to prove it. The xlerator dryers they have at Tim Hortons are the worst.

https://academic.oup.com/pch/advance...pxz046/5519522
The are bigger issues than sound when it comes to bathroom hand dryers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nds/511723002/

yuck

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:59 PM   #7935
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you're struggling with the best course of action for something fairly major, and your gut tells you one thing, but you allow someone to convince you the other way is better so you trust them and do that instead..and in the end it turns out your gut instinct was the correct decision.

If you trust your gut and it turns out to be wrong, I can live with that. But going against your gut due to someone else's influence and it turns out your gut reaction was the right one, it just sticks in your craw so much. Never again.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #7936
Engine09
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
People that block their license plate from a car for sale ad.

Yes, you're posting on Facebook, I can see your full name, your friend's names, and your 30 most recently attended events.

But please, cover up your plate which is displayed in public so I can't ask the registry to release information they can't due to FOI policy.

Your thumb in the way is ever so clever.
I've actually asked a few people why they obscure plates in photos and no one has a definitive or even a reasonable answer. Same with guitars and people hiding the serial number, they have no idea why they do it.

Someone enlighten us.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #7937
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I've actually asked a few people why they obscure plates in photos and no one has a definitive or even a reasonable answer. Same with guitars and people hiding the serial number, they have no idea why they do it.

Someone enlighten us.
They do it because other people do it, and if other people are doing it there must be a reason I should be doing it that I'm not aware of, so I'll do it too just in case it's an important reason. Sheep.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #7938
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

I'd obscure my license plate before I'd post a photo online, I think. It just seems somewhat prudent. In doing so, you can't definitively tie your car directly to your online persona. That seems like a reasonable step to take to maintain a sliver of your privacy. You lose nothing to obscure it, so why not? If you don't want to, that's fine. It doesn't make you a sheep if you do it, though, especially if you've thought about it and decided you don't want people making a direct connection between online you and your car.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #7939
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post

Someone enlighten us.
I assume that covering the serial number would be to make it harder for the rightful owner to find their stolen guitar being sold on Kijiji.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #7940
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I assume that covering the serial number would be to make it harder for the rightful owner to find their stolen guitar being sold on Kijiji.

That could go both ways. I am sure there is scam involving people pretending their stuff was stolen by somebody on Kijiji.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote