Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2018, 08:09 PM   #521
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frig you DisneyXD, why aren't you airing the new episodes as stated... Grrr.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #522
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I got them ok tonight

We're a week behind though

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #523
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ok, I just watched the episode "A world between worlds" Thanks to a friend of mine across the ocean.

Please don't read if you don't want to be spoiled. Episode summary

Spoiler!

Old 02-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #524
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I thought it was a god few episodes. Sad to see Kanaan go but it had to happen and they had been telegraphing it for a while. It was really cool to see him get the Star Wars theme music for his heroic rescue. It will be interesting to see where things go from here. The rogue one tie in had me giddy.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #525
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They had to have that loss to a team member, I was amazed at how well they handled it. Even the explosion and the fade to a different ending screen with ash falling and no credits music.

They managed to really capture how all of them would individually mourn and get over the loss.

Ezra having to face his own fear.

Hera just destroyed especially over her waiting to tell Kanan that she loved him.

Sabine wanting quick revenge.

Zeb wanting to support her. (That look when he walks out to greet the shuttle smiling at their return and his emotional change when he learns was still amazing and gut wrenching)

Chopper supporting Hera.

Really well done.

I still can't wait to see Thrawn returning to Lothal.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:54 PM   #526
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Man just saw 12 and 13, you're right CC, they're knocking on the door of the best of Clone Wars. Clone Wars I thought was head and shoulders above Rebels, Rebels is good and Clone Wars take a while to really get going, but Clone Wars is incredible for a really good stretch. But Rebels is sure nailing it to end it off.

They really did the loss of Kanan justice.

Can't wait for the finale.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:30 PM   #527
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Man just saw 12 and 13, you're right CC, they're knocking on the door of the best of Clone Wars. Clone Wars I thought was head and shoulders above Rebels, Rebels is good and Clone Wars take a while to really get going, but Clone Wars is incredible for a really good stretch. But Rebels is sure nailing it to end it off.

They really did the loss of Kanan justice.

Can't wait for the finale.
Clone Wars was excellent, don't get me wrong. If you a spiritual successor to Lucas in terms of the ability to tell a story in that universe, its not Abrams. Its Filoni.

I remember I didn't think much of the first season of Clone Wars, but it progressed so well and it did the one thing that it needed to do. It made you dread the fall of the Republic and the execution of Order 66. But at the same time you welcomed it, because it was almost like the Republic deserved to fall. As the seasons went on and got darker and darker right up until the point where Ashoka leaves the Jedi Order and you felt like it was a huge reason why Anakin fell.

Rebels started the same way, it was always so cheerful, the villains were kind of dumb and 2 dimensional, in the end the hero's always won.

In Star Trek II the big thing with Kirk that was bought up was that he never faced death.

In the Clone Wars we faced death but never to a main character(Ashoka was a primary character but was she a main character? I'm not so sure), it continued on Rebels, and I think that was by design and we got complacent. Kanan will find a way to survive this. Its Disney man, the hero's always win. So when the un thinkable happened it had this huge emotional punch, it was massive and overwhelming, and we were like Hera and Zeb and Ezra and Sabine in that for a few moments you had a near feeling of nausea and you almost mourned with the rest of the rebels.

It was amazingly well done.

Here's the other thing that's brilliant. Even when they had Vader, you never felt that the villains were a huge threat. Admiral Konstantine and Kallus were almost kind of key stone cop like, they always found a way to lose.

With Vader, he was amazing to watch, when he rose from the underneath the walkers, you were like woah. But you knew that he wasn't going to kill anyone.

Even with Thrawn in his first year, we were all like, DO SOMETHING AWESOME MAN!! But he was watching and learning.

Now we have a incredibly ruthless and urbane and nasty villain in Thrawn who's winning. We have Pryce who's a bit of a bumbler but pure witch. But you get the sense that the Rebellion isn't doing very well, and there's real danger here.

That's why the ending is working. Because you know, that there's a good chance that its not going to end happily or well.

I can't wait to see how it ends, however I'm not sure I want to see it end.

Because I don't think its going to be happy.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #528
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #529
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Rebel Recon is really good.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #530
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know, just watching Rebel Review, there are so many things in this series that we kind of take for granted.

I've focused on the change of illustration styles as the series progressed. Clone Wars did it but was subtle. It went from fairly cheerful to pretty well drab and low color in the end which was a great choice.

going back and watching the 2 d and 3d fusion without focusing on dialog is amazing, it looks really spectacular.

As well, it hit me and it was after they said it, that when Ezra first visited the temple, he didn't see any of the World between Worlds. On the second time, he really didn't see anything more then stars and he stood in one little circle.

On the third one he saw the paths and portals. A neat way to show that his awareness had grown so much.

I also loved the little footstep circles which shows to me that every step that you take along your path can change not only your destiny but everyone elses.

It just seems logical, that even though Ashoka basically tells Ezra where she's going and to come find her, that she won't be involved in her final battle. What's even neater is when they split up its a pretty poignant illustration that her path and Ezra's are completely separate. Also by her going back to the temple, it shows maybe that fate can't be changed, she went right back to where she ended up.

Maybe Ezra at the end, puts down his light saber and goes to find her.

I've been thinking about the "Last of your kind speech by Tarkin", maybe the Jedi all don't have to be dead, maybe they just stop being Jedi.

In the book Rise of the Dark Lord, Vader while still new (snicker) is angry and resentful and hateful of the Jedi.

He sums it up nicely that he blames Obi-Wan for Padme's death, and that his intention was to save Padme from Death and Obi-Wan from ignorance.

Even Palpatine wasn't too concerned about the Jedi, he was ok with them surviving, he'd bought down their order, and the survivor were running for their lives, and paying penance for generations of arrogance.

So in theory Ezra and Ashoka could survive in the end, just not as Jedi out fighting the good fight.

To me, i always thought a good ending to Clone Wars would have been a bit of a fast forward. Where we see Obi-Wan on Tatooine and he see's a news cast of Vader cutting down Rebels and realizes that he didn't kill Anakin and that the fate of the force was in darkness. (they did a great job of this in Dark Lord). Then it flashes to Yoda surveying his new home and he senses the dark side tree and goes in. Then we flash to Ashoka and she hears the announcement of the Jedi temple being destroyed and all of the Jedi including Anakin Skywalker being killed and she cries.

I'm almost of the thought, that the best way to end Rebels is to show the true power of the Empire in the final battle. There's no victory here, the first rebel victory comes in the events of Rogue One.

The family gathers one more time, and either they've suffered another loss (Zeb or Sabine), or the Rebellion is in a hopeless situation, and the will to fight is burned out of them.

Sabine announces that she wants to go home to what's left of her Clan.
Zeb wants to join his people.
Ezra wants to fulfill his promise to Ashoka
Chop and Hera want to fight.

And then we flash forward.

Hera and Zeb on the ghost as the second death star explodes and she touches a picture of Kanan and smiles.
Zeb celebrating
Sabine and her clan getting ready for a final battle against the renmants of the Empire.
Ashoka and Ezra in the temple meditating and a smile comes across Ezra's face as he hears his master again.

Anyways.

Nice to see one confirmation if you look at the armor that Rex is wearing that he is at Edor in ROTJ

Old 02-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #531
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

final teaser

Woah

Last edited by photon; 02-28-2018 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Just need the part after v=
Old 02-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #532
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Wow final three episodes this Monday?? Crazy. I'm excited and sad at the same time.

This series has done such a good job of skirting the OT/R1 canon, linking into Clone Wars and creating its own little niche in the SWU that it will be hard to replace.

The scene with Ahsoka and Vader fighting is still one of my favourite in SW history, any platform.

I want some Ahsoka closure!!
Old 02-28-2018, 03:25 PM   #533
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Remember I think we're a week behind here. So next week will be the 2 episodes before the finale.

But the finale will probably go up on the web on Monday.

I loved the Vader fight, especially when Ashoka exposed Anakin's face, and then he called her name, and she told him she wouldn't leave him this time. Its clear that she feels incredibly responsible for his fall.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #534
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ahh good point, ok so 5 episodes total that makes more sense.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #535
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Spoiler!

Old 03-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #536
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Spoiler!

Old 03-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #537
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I guess I just never got Clone Wars, sorry this is speaking to photon's point above. I'm on season 4 in that series and I have STRUGGLED to get here. I watch it sporadically mostly just trying to tough it out because everyone says the last few seasons are the best.

I feel like everything past season 1 in Rebels has far out weighed anything I have seen so far in Clone Wars. But then again I've always found the prequel's political angles very boring. I enjoy the Rebel Alliance aspect in the OT and I like watching the various heads interact. But for whatever reason anything Senate or Jedi Council related in the prequel material just puts me to sleep.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #538
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I guess I just never got Clone Wars, sorry this is speaking to photon's point above. I'm on season 4 in that series and I have STRUGGLED to get here. I watch it sporadically mostly just trying to tough it out because everyone says the last few seasons are the best.

I feel like everything past season 1 in Rebels has far out weighed anything I have seen so far in Clone Wars. But then again I've always found the prequel's political angles very boring. I enjoy the Rebel Alliance aspect in the OT and I like watching the various heads interact. But for whatever reason anything Senate or Jedi Council related in the prequel material just puts me to sleep.
I thought the second half of season 4 from the Umbari storyline and on was really strong.

General Krell was one of the darkest characters on the show. Especially this.

Spoiler!

Old 03-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #539
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

New trailer for the finale

Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bane For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #540
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The way Ezra says "The Force will be with you, always" kind of worries me.

When they showed the Imperial Fleet one of them looked like either a new class of Star Destroyer, or a Imperial Dreadnought.