Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2015, 04:52 AM   #121
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Iceland's tourism is becoming a hot button topic for locals. We've had poop gate, where tourists are pooping all over the country because of a lack of facilities.

Reykjavik residents are becoming very angry at the many large buses going down small streets, the noise, and the fact while rent is skyrocketing for people in Reykjavik more and more apartments are appearing on AirBnB with the vast majority of them being illegal.

For anyone planning to visit Iceland, in the near future you really need to pre plan your trip well in advance. Booking hotels, car rentals, etc books up very early.

As usual I'm glad to help any way I can here in this thread or via PMs, prefer to do it here so others can get the tips as well.

Here's a recent article on the tourism troubles.

http://grapevine.is/news/2015/07/19/...he-worst-sort/
Old 07-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #122
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey Thor,

I'm heading to Iceland in March next year for 12 days or so. I'm on a tour for the first 5 and then I'm on my own afterwards.

My biggest question is related the cost of living. How expensive is to buy food/drinks/restaurants over there?

Thanks!
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #123
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Hey Thor,

I'm heading to Iceland in March next year for 12 days or so. I'm on a tour for the first 5 and then I'm on my own afterwards.

My biggest question is related the cost of living. How expensive is to buy food/drinks/restaurants over there?

Thanks!
Cool, March will probably be pretty windy and chilly, around 5c max.

Rule #1: Always buy booze at the duty free, even if you don't drink, its ridiculously cheaper than in the country. Buy the max of what you are allowed!

Price wise, food can be done reasonably cheap if you are looking to do hot noodles and such, but reasonably you can get away with $20-40 CAD a day depending on what you are eating. A restaurant varies greatly, but like a decent burger place 20-30 CAD, Subway 15 CAD for a footlong and pop.

Again you can just go to a grocery store and buy some cheaper food, bread and such..

Drinks as in booze, well Beer you can usually get around 8-10 CAD for a big can of beer in most pubs and bars. There is happy hour but its ungodly early for Iceland partiers, around 5pm-7pm.

Oh and that, if you are going to the club here, most Icelanders don't even go out until 1am or later, and go home 4-6am. Because its so expensive to drink people pre drink and arrive quite out of sorts.

The best local and visitor english paper is the Reykjavik Grapevine, so do check it out.

http://grapevine.is/travel/
Old 07-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #124
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Cool, March will probably be pretty windy and chilly, around 5c max.

Rule #1: Always buy booze at the duty free, even if you don't drink, its ridiculously cheaper than in the country. Buy the max of what you are allowed!
You can buy a bottle of Icelandic vodka (forget the brand name) for under $20 CAD at the airport. It's tasty vodka, too. I'm not a vodka guy but I can drink that stuff straight.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #125
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

This one? Its one of my favorites.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #126
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Here is the allowances

http://www.dutyfree.is/files/pdf/tollkvoti_a4_en.pdf
Old 07-21-2015, 10:41 AM   #127
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will certainly be visiting Iceland in the next year or two.

I read that a lot of young Icelanders have an app on their phones that traces their genealogy, because with such a small population, a lot of people are related. It comes in handy when dating so you don't accidentally date your cousin. Apparently it happens more than you would think.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #128
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This one? Its one of my favorites.

Don't think that's it, but I'll have to give that one a try the next time I'm there.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #129
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for all the info Thor!

I'm planning to eat in quite a few Icelandic restaurants and also looking to get cultural items to bring home. I'm thinking a $2000-3000 CAD spending budget should be sufficient for all the time there.

But there most important question, where can I go watch Flames games while in Reykjavik?
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slacker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #130
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I will certainly be visiting Iceland in the next year or two.

I read that a lot of young Icelanders have an app on their phones that traces their genealogy, because with such a small population, a lot of people are related. It comes in handy when dating so you don't accidentally date your cousin. Apparently it happens more than you would think.
Hehe, well much like most of the things you hear about Iceland its not true. As with the economic recovery and such, this one was based on a joke made by the apps creator, a university student.

Because its such a small nation we know our cousins, no app needed. But the point of the feature was that 2 people could touch phones to instantly see how far back they go before they share a common ancestor. Not to avoid dating your cousin
Old 07-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #131
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Thanks for all the info Thor!

I'm planning to eat in quite a few Icelandic restaurants and also looking to get cultural items to bring home. I'm thinking a $2000-3000 CAD spending budget should be sufficient for all the time there.

But there most important question, where can I go watch Flames games while in Reykjavik?
You'll find lots of great food choices, and that budget sounds safe for sure. Sadly not one place will show NHL, its all Soccer, handball, Basketball here.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #132
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Iceland's tourism is becoming a hot button topic for locals. We've had poop gate, where tourists are pooping all over the country because of a lack of facilities.

Reykjavik residents are becoming very angry at the many large buses going down small streets, the noise, and the fact while rent is skyrocketing for people in Reykjavik more and more apartments are appearing on AirBnB with the vast majority of them being illegal.

For anyone planning to visit Iceland, in the near future you really need to pre plan your trip well in advance. Booking hotels, car rentals, etc books up very early.

As usual I'm glad to help any way I can here in this thread or via PMs, prefer to do it here so others can get the tips as well.

Sounds like Banff.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #133
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

At least Banff is under the national park system, ours is a joke in comparison.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #134
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few years ago, I visited Iceland by way of a forced landing due to medical emergency. We got put up at that fancy hotel by the Blue Lagoon or something. Anyway, the first night, I crashed an Icelandic wedding in the hotel, was well integrated by around 10 pm, went out with some Icelanders until about 5 am, and almost missed my flight. A delightful country!
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #135
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hehe, well much like most of the things you hear about Iceland its not true. As with the economic recovery and such, this one was based on a joke made by the apps creator, a university student.

Because its such a small nation we know our cousins, no app needed. But the point of the feature was that 2 people could touch phones to instantly see how far back they go before they share a common ancestor. Not to avoid dating your cousin
Well your version does make more sense

I probably read an American version of the story, and they probably spun it as an app to avoid dating your cousin.

I can't wait to go there. I've been wanting to visit since 2005 when Croatia played Iceland in WC qualifying and the country just enthralled me.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #136
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
A few years ago, I visited Iceland by way of a forced landing due to medical emergency. We got put up at that fancy hotel by the Blue Lagoon or something. Anyway, the first night, I crashed an Icelandic wedding in the hotel, was well integrated by around 10 pm, went out with some Icelanders until about 5 am, and almost missed my flight. A delightful country!
In my previous post I mentioned wanting to go to Iceland because of a soccer match. I knew a couple guys who went to that qualifying match and basically had stories like yours and that was one of the reasons Iceland interested me. Icelanders just being incredible people and welcoming foreigners and such.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:37 PM   #137
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:

Hey Thor, wife and I are stopping in Reykjavik for 3 nights on our way to Europe, unfortunately it's all the time we have. Before I did any research I figured I'd reach out and ask what you'd recommend doing, what area to stay in etc? Since we're so short on time we'd probably like to hang around the city and do a day trip somewhere. Any insight you have would be appreciated.

I promise I won't poop anywhere except a toilet.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:28 AM   #138
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Hey Thor, wife and I are stopping in Reykjavik for 3 nights on our way to Europe, unfortunately it's all the time we have. Before I did any research I figured I'd reach out and ask what you'd recommend doing, what area to stay in etc? Since we're so short on time we'd probably like to hang around the city and do a day trip somewhere. Any insight you have would be appreciated.

I promise I won't poop anywhere except a toilet.
What time of year?

3 Days, I'd recommend the golden circle tour, the blue lagoon 2-4hrs (30 min ride from Reykjavik), and within Reykjavik there is lots to do!

As always the biggest and most reliable tour company is:

http://www.icelandexcursions.is/
Old 07-22-2015, 08:16 AM   #139
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
What time of year?

3 Days, I'd recommend the golden circle tour, the blue lagoon 2-4hrs (30 min ride from Reykjavik), and within Reykjavik there is lots to do!

As always the biggest and most reliable tour company is:

http://www.icelandexcursions.is/
Thanks for the advice. We're going in early September.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #140
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well what do you know, Croatia got drawn with Iceland again today. It's fate I tell ya.

Maybe we speed up the timeline for an Iceland visit (it was originally supposed to be an anniversary present to ourselves).

Once the schedule is released, I'll be revisiting this thread. And Thor if you live near Reykjavik we are going for a beer (or 10).

Last edited by CroFlames; 07-25-2015 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Spelling.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post: