Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2008, 12:56 AM   #1
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Laptop screen issues?

I had my laptop plugged in and sitting on my bed this morning. In my haze, I tripped over the cable and knocked the laptop off the bed onto the floor. Now, there's about 2 inches on the left side of the screen that work perfectly and the rest of the screen is showing completely white with different colored vertical lines running along the screen.

I went to Best Buy where I purchased it and apparently the warranty from HP has expired. The guy at the Geek Squad table claimed that it would cost so much to get it fixed, I may as well just get a new machine.

I've finally got my laptop personalized exactly how I like and have a ton of important school stuff on it. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix my problem or somewhere where I may be able to take it in and get it fixed for a reasonable price?

Any help is greatly appreciated. With exams coming up soon, I am desperate to get the screen working again.

Thanks guys.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, if it's just the screen that's wonky, it costs approximately >$200 to get a replacement screen. Also, YMMV in replacing the screen/individual ham-handedness. I've used these guys http://www.screentekinc.com/ to source replacement parts for a pair of laptop screens a while ago, but one of the laptops, the power inverter for the screen also needed replacing, and the other one worked out well. If you aren't intending to do this your self, with most of the labor rates in the Calgary and I guess beyond, it might wind up taking 300~400 total(Including price of screen) to fix it, making it close to the cost of a new laptop. (albeit low end)

If you just need a display, laptops usually come with an external display adapter and you can just hook it up to a monitor and run it that way. Monitors, if you go with the Big CRT monsters will now run you anywhere from 0~150$? as people are just trying to get rid of the things and move onto the slim new-hotness of LCD displays.

Last edited by Cliche; 03-06-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't NEED it as a laptop, then get a cheapo LCD screen. If you do, then what Cliche said. Doing the repair isn't all that hard if you have any idea what you are doing, however depending on the cost of your laptop, you might be better off buying a new one.