Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default PS3 game recommendations

So, I got a PS3 to use as a blu ray player. I figure I might as well at least try a video game or 2.

I haven't really played a video game in about 20-25 years!

Any recommendations for something fun to play? Maybe something that would look and sound particularly cool in my home theater.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

It depends what kind of game appeals to you really.

Rachet+Clank Future (Platformer with guns), Uncharted (Action/Adventure), and Resistance (1st person shooter) are probably your best bets.

Rock Band is fun for basically anyone.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was in the exact position as you. Bought the PS3 Boxing Day for the Blu-Ray and figured might as well try out a game. I've never been a gamer, so someone recommended Call of Duty 4 to me. It's awesome. I played through the actual game twice, and every other day or so I'll play multiplayer online for a couple hours. Great fun!
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

I picked up heavenly sword. That's a fun adventure game.
I also have Need For Speed: Pro Street and Burnout:Paradise.
If you like racing type games, Burnout: Paradise is good. You just drive around town doing challenges and stuff. I would suggest you get NFS:Carbon though.

Also, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is coming out soon.

I haven't gotten anything like COD4 though.. so i can't really comment on those games.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Welcome to the world of gaming. Congrats on getting a ps3 . . . even as nothing more than a blu ray player it's well worth it.

If you're looking for a shooting game, Call of Duty 4 is just about the best thing out there. If you would rather something along the lines of an Indiana Jones type adventure game, Uncharted is regarded as one of the best games on the system. If you want something a little more animated, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction is what you'd be looking for. If racing is more your thing, check out Motorstorm. NHL 08 is also a rock solid experience if you're looking for a sports game. All games are very highly rated and look amazing in hd.

Don't forget the ps3 also has many downloadable games available from the playstation network (access it from your system). Games run about 10$ and there are some really fun ones. Highly rated are Super Star Dust HD (futuristic asteroids), High Velocity Bowling (probably don't need an explanation), Calling all Cars and Pain (not highly rated, but I adore it).

IGN is probably the largest gaming site on the internet, and for the most part their reviews are pretty trustworthy. Here is a link to ps3 games that have scored a 9/10 or higher:
http://ps3.ign.com/index/reviews.htm...ort.order=desc

edit: Just a quick thing that's a little OT. One of my favorite things to do with the system is to load it up with vacation photos (or any photos) and some good music. Play your music normally, hit the ps button on your controller (to go back to the main menu) and go view a slideshow. Your music will continue playing and you'll have a great way to show off photos when you have guests over.

Last edited by Russic; 03-04-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Rockband, Guitar Hero 3 - No need to explain these - really fun games.

Assassin's Creed - fun missions/adventure game.

MLB 08 the Show is supposed to be the best baseball game in years, it came out yesterday and I plan to pick it up in the next few days.

Are you in to any specific genre? A lot of the good RPGs still haven't come out for PS3 yet, but can be played on a PS3 anyways.

COD 4 Modern Warfare = amazing FPS. You *have* to play it online though, or you aren't getting your money's worth.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I finally bought a PS3 the other day, completing my next gen purchases. I've mostly been playing on the 360 before this. As previously stated 'Call of Duty 4' is an incredible game. Short as a single player experience but an amazing experience just the same. Online play is a must to get full value for the game though.

For the PS3 I picked up 'Uncharted' which is a very good game, well worth getting. 'Motorstorm' is good fun if you like racing. The other game I'll be picking up is "Resistance" which looks to be a solid First Person Shooter.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHL08 is where it is at. I absolutely can't stop playing online against others. I have Assassians Creed, Call of Duty 4 and Fear and really havn't played these. NHL08 is addictive. If anyone wants to play, my username is jeremyschick88, add me.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

SHOOTERS:
Call of Duty 4 - great single player campaign and fun level up system in multiplayer
Resistance - co-op story mode, fun weapons and good online modes
Warhawk(online only though) - no single player but you can have 4 of your friends join you with split screen online. you can download it from the playstation store.

ACTION/ADVENTURE:
uncharted, ratchet & clank, devil may cry 4, heavenly sword - all have great gameplay, graphics and really great characters with movie like cinematics...perfect for showing off in a home theater. They make good rentals, but still fun to go back and replay.

STRATEGY:
eye of judgment - card game using the playstation eye, kinda like magic the gathering. Really neat concept...you need to buy cards though which can be a pain if you don't like collecting them. They're tough to find also...phoenix comics near sait and videogame traders have them.

RACING:
burnout paradise - fun arcade racing. if you get the playstation eye(can get it with the eye of judgment) you can take pictures of your reaction during crashes and send them to your opponents, really funny.
Motorstorm - fun arcade racing. no splitscreen but fun online

SPORTS:
nhl 08 - it's hockey! there are still glitches found once in awhile but it's still fun to play, especially online. if you can round up 5 of your friends you can play online together and fill out the team.

RPG:
folklore - a real charming game with unique gameplay...and it's pretty much the only rpg on the system right now

MUSIC:
rockband - a must buy, great party game

playstation network:
flOw: single/4 player game where you eat things and grow....kind of like nibbles
pain: you launch a dude from a sling and see what destruction he can cause...really fun and has a couple of fun multiplayer modes
pixel junk monsters: a tower defense game..fun but time consuming. It's ok as a single player game but better playing co-op with a friend
every day shooter: really cool shooter based on musical guitar riffs

Most of the games above have downloadable demos so just try them out at the playstation store. I own each one except the racing games and recommend all of them. Also, catch me online, my username is Markade

Last edited by Human Torch; 03-05-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

While we're all sharing gamertags, I'm RedMile (we should get a CP game of Call of Duty 4 going).
Old 03-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #11
StrayBullet
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

yungwynn is my PS3 username

What's everyone else's handle for PS3??

Add Me!!
StrayBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #12
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
While we're all sharing gamertags, I'm RedMile (we should get a CP game of Call of Duty 4 going).
I am in for that forsure. I havn't played online yet. I have been addicted to NHL08.

Can you form a team and play against other teams?
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #13
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!! I think Call of Duty and Uncharted will be my first purchases.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #14
SarichFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

MLB 08: The Show
SarichFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!! I think Call of Duty and Uncharted will be my first purchases.
Good choices. You certainly cannot go wrong with either. I've been playing Uncharted a fair bit since buying the system. It's tons of fun with excellent graphics and gameplay. One advantage to having a new born is that I've been playing the PS3 at 3/4 am when I'm up with her. Bonus!!!!

I picked up Resistance yesterday and had a quick look. It seems like an excellent game so far.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Nice work nfotiu, you shouldn't be disappointed with those purchases at all. Are you online yet? Toss up your gamertag if you want to play with any cp'ers.

To everyone else who posted usernames, I'll send you invites this evening hopefully. I have a bunch of names on my friends list that I don't actually play, so it might be cool to get some familiar people in there.

edit: I'll make a separate thread for usernames.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #17
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

my ps3 handle is s1nfern0 if anyone wants to add me.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #18
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to play some CP Call of Duty. Well, as long as everyone isn't some Dessert Storm Veteran who rapes me over the gaming table like everyone on the network seems to already do....
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #19
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I would love to play some CP Call of Duty. Well, as long as everyone isn't some Dessert Storm Veteran who rapes me over the gaming table like everyone on the network seems to already do....
I think that could be an advantage of having some CP games. The skill levels might actually be a little more even. As our hockey team is actually successful, we have less time to focus and practice our skills than somebody from say, edmonton.

Table: throw your username in here (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=55484) if you want.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #20
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
IGN is probably the largest gaming site on the internet, and for the most part their reviews are pretty trustworthy. Here is a link to ps3 games that have scored a 9/10 or higher:
http://ps3.ign.com/index/reviews.htm...ort.order=desc
Actually since IGN is just one of many gaming sites/mags to review and rate games, you might consider using metacritic instead. It compiles almost all reviews into one overall rating. Very nice.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/ps3/scores/
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote