Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #21
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
I use shareware version at home and purchased version at work, no problems with either. And the shareware version is free.
No it isn't free. Read the license:

Quote:
WinRAR End User License AgreementThe RAR (and its Windows version - WinRAR) archiver are shareware. This means:
  1. All copyrights to RAR and WinRAR are exclusively owned by the author - Alexander Roshal.
  2. Anyone may use this software during a test period of 40 days. Following this test period of 40 days or less, if you wish to continue to use WinRAR, you must purchase a license.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #22
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
WinRAR isn't free. It's buggy shareware.
Is this an assumption based on the 'Win' prefix (i.e. an I hate Windows issue)? I'm trying to remember any time I've had it error out or blow up in the last eight years, but I really can't.
LeftWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #23
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I called WinRar buggy because unless you crack it (using dubious methods) its shareware splash screen would occasionally crash on my system.

It's shell integration never seemed to work properly for me either.

Add to this that I hate managing archive files using a cumbersome GUI (which WinRAR basically forced me to do), I got tired of it. Once I discouvered 7Zip, I havn't looked back.

The windows implementation of 7Zip is just a better application. Plus, it's a pretty big opensource project, which means good karma.

I should say that I basically stopped using WinRAR nearly three years ago. So I may not be up to date on what WinRAR is like currently.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #24
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
No it isn't free. Read the license:
If win WinRAR distributes a trial version then its WinRAR's responsibility to lock down their software after the trial period. I havent cracked the freebie version and am able to use it without issue after the trial period.

Call it what you will, I call that freeware. If the price of a single user license was say $10 or even $15 I would have no problem purchasing it. However, $29 for a single user license is ridiculous for a piece of software that isnt alone in the market place and that doesnt serve a function that I use even once a week in a home environment.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #25
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

So the price, and because they chose to be nicer to the end user than the disable-after-trial software model are the reasons you use to not pay for the software? However you want to rationalize it to yourself is fine, just making sure you weren't misinforming everyone else.

Great logic by the way; it's easy to violate the copyright so it's ok to do it.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #26
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
If win WinRAR distributes a trial version then its WinRAR's responsibility to lock down their software after the trial period. I havent cracked the freebie version and am able to use it without issue after the trial period.

Call it what you will, I call that freeware. If the price of a single user license was say $10 or even $15 I would have no problem purchasing it. However, $29 for a single user license is ridiculous for a piece of software that isnt alone in the market place and that doesnt serve a function that I use even once a week in a home environment.
Or... you could use a better piece of software that actually is free. Then you're not breaking any laws or stealing anything.

Call it what you want, using a piece of shareware past it's trial license is technically stealing. Your personal opinion notwithstanding.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote