Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default buying a Wii off ebay

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, as it isn't really a tech question, so if it's in the wrong place I apologize.

Basically I've been trying to buy a Wii since before Christmas. I live in a remote area, so just going to a store is not really an option. (the nearest Walmart is 2 hours away, as an example, and I'm 5 hours north of deadmonton) Anyway, theres quite a few on ebay, but the average price seems to be around $400 when you include shipping up here. What I'm wondering is, is this what I'm going to have to expect to pay for one? Does anyone know when the big stores like best buy and futureshop are expected to start selling them online again? I ask every time I'm at walmart, but they never seem to know anything about when they might get any. (like I expected anything otherwise)
Because I live so far from anything, I expect to pay a bit more for one, but spending $100 + seems a bit excessive.
So what do you guys think? Is this the best I'm going to be able to get one for, or should I wait for a bit in the hopes that Nintendo will start to meet the demand and start getting them to the stores?
Thanks.

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

www.consolewatch.com

Other than that, you may have to wait it out.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

very cool, thanks!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

You could put an offer out on the buy/sell, offer $50 to anyone who can find you one
Old 03-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #5
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
You could put an offer out on the buy/sell, offer $50 to anyone who can find you one
yea, but then I'd have to pay them $50, and they'd probably want the price plus $100, so I'd still pay through the nose (or some other body part, whatever)

Old 03-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
hatty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've heard from futureshop employees that they come in every friday there, so maybe try calling on a friday at the walmart and see if they get it in at the same time (probably a long shot that their delivery times are the same but to save $100 bucks, why not)
hatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I might start calling places to see if they'll accept my CC number over the phone, and buy one that way. Problem is most stores aren't allowing that anymore. Maybe if I apply for one of their store credit cards it might work? If I call the stores in Red Deer and was able to get one at least I could have one of my parent's pick it up and ship it to me. They would only hose me for a little bit extra I'm sure.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #8
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Well I was thinking of some kind soul that would buy another hockey fan a Wii for "only" $50 profit.

Or try a smaller retailer like EB Games and see if they'll put you on a waiting list or something, where you may wait but you know at least you'll get one eventually.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:14 AM   #9
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Well I was thinking of some kind soul that would buy another hockey fan a Wii for "only" $50 profit.

Or try a smaller retailer like EB Games and see if they'll put you on a waiting list or something, where you may wait but you know at least you'll get one eventually.
Yea, EB was my first choice, as by all accounts they seem to be the ones getting them in regularly. Think I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Next time I'm in WalMart here in Olds I'll see if they have one. I think I've seen them there.

I wouldn't be interested in making money off you. If you can handle paying for shipping + a couple of bucks to cover cost of tape and paper... And you would have to pay for the system itself.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Next time I'm in WalMart here in Olds I'll see if they have one. I think I've seen them there.

I wouldn't be interested in making money off you. If you can handle paying for shipping + a couple of bucks to cover cost of tape and paper... And you would have to pay for the system itself.
well that would be cool of you I talked to my mom about it this morning, she's going to check EB games in Red Deer for me. If that doesn't work out maybe we could arrange something. Thanks

Old 03-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #12
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just an update. Ended up buying one off ebay from a store in Ont. It listed at $295, with $39 S&H, plus around $17 for GST, so not too bad. Opted for insurance for another $4, so got it for a total of around $355, delivered to my door. Overall not too bad. only about $60 or so over what I would have payed if I was able to buy one in my town, and definitely saved over what I would have payed in gas to drive the 10 hours return trip to and from edmonton to buy one. So guess the deals are out there, just have to keep checking.

Now I gotta find some games. Anyone try wii GT?

Old 03-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #13
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Be wary about buying a Wii off of Ebay for $400. You might end up with a block of wood instead!

Link
Old 03-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #14
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Be wary about buying a Wii off of Ebay for $400. You might end up with a block of wood instead!

Link
Bought our wii on ebay before Christmas with no problems. Just use paypal to protect yourself. One of our GHIIIs through ebay, it was extremely slow shipping, but otherwise fine, and the premium was not much more than the gas money I would have spent driving around the countryside looking for it.
MolsonInBothHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paypal only gives you 45 days protection. If you don't file a complaint within 45 days of the sale your screwed. Found that out the hard way this morning.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Paypal only gives you 45 days protection. If you don't file a complaint within 45 days of the sale your screwed. Found that out the hard way this morning.
Details? In the context of this thread, it shouldn't take longer than 45 days to figure out you can't connect a block of wood to the TV. Why did it take so long? Did it work for a while, and then crater? If so, is it up to PayPal to cover that?
Old 03-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #17
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

My tips for buying anything off eBay; especially electronic:

- Check feedback. I'd suggest a minimum of 50 feedbacks over more than 1 year. And a rating of 99.5% or higher.
- As mentioned Paypal only, and make sure to fund Paypal with a credit card. (give you a second recourse if the deal goes south.)
- Pay for insurance on shipping.
- Be careful if the person has a "stock" photo. Seller should have a picture they have taken themselves.
- Ask seller a question before buying. Anything. Don't hide your email address from the seller. This tests their communications level and establishes a raport.
- Read the entire description. Like the guys selling the empty PS2 cardboard boxes; they did nothing wrong. Because if I had promised little Timmy a PS2 for Christmas and couldn't get one; I would have paid $20 for the empty box it came in so I could have wrapped something.
- If it sounds too good to be true, ask yourself how they could be doing this. Not long ago a friend asked me to buy an Xbox 360 for her for $100. In the description it stated "non functioning; likely needs minor repair." Those of you with Xboxs know those were likely a liquidation of all the dead ones Microsoft got back.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should have an auction market specifically for Wiis.

They could call it WiiBay.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #19
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonInBothHands View Post
Details? In the context of this thread, it shouldn't take longer than 45 days to figure out you can't connect a block of wood to the TV. Why did it take so long? Did it work for a while, and then crater? If so, is it up to PayPal to cover that?
You are covered for items that don't show up, or are misrepresented. For instance, if your Wii ends up being a block of wood instead. In my case the item never showed up (usually takes a month from the US). So I sent a couple of emails to the seller, no response. Looked into getting my money back. Found out I was too late.

Maybe the guy died. He has 33 negative feedbacks in the past few months.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #20
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
You are covered for items that don't show up, or are misrepresented. For instance, if your Wii ends up being a block of wood instead. In my case the item never showed up (usually takes a month from the US). So I sent a couple of emails to the seller, no response. Looked into getting my money back. Found out I was too late.

Maybe the guy died. He has 33 negative feedbacks in the past few months.
Were your attempts to contact the seller before the 45 day period expired? If so, could you not document that and provide PayPal with evidence of such? I would definitely push a little harder with that... and as Ken suggests you may be able to have the credit card company reverse the payment.