Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #21
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought a 6416 from Ebay (a seller in Vancouver) and the only problems I had was a signal quality problem on the line coming into my house. No problems with Shaw adding the terminal (note on the terminal in his name that it was sold to me) and no problems with the terminal itself.

I don't like how the PVR HD constantly runs and doesn't spin down, but that's a common PVR complaint from what I hear....
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #22
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
I bought a 6416 from Ebay (a seller in Vancouver) and the only problems I had was a signal quality problem on the line coming into my house. No problems with Shaw adding the terminal (note on the terminal in his name that it was sold to me) and no problems with the terminal itself.

I don't like how the PVR HD constantly runs and doesn't spin down, but that's a common PVR complaint from what I hear....
do you have the user name of the guy from ebay?? that is where mine is coming from. hopefully the same guy. i know there a re few from there though. or was did he just have that one for sale?
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #23
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
do you have the user name of the guy from ebay?? that is where mine is coming from. hopefully the same guy. i know there a re few from there though. or was did he just have that one for sale?
He had quite a few.. I think it was kinghd or something similar to that (I'd have to look it up to be sure). It appeared that he was making a business of it, as he had quite a few available.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #24
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
He had quite a few.. I think it was kinghd or something similar to that (I'd have to look it up to be sure). It appeared that he was making a business of it, as he had quite a few available.
no worries
Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 AM   #25
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

ok so I got it. i call shaw and say it needs to be added to the system. they come back and tell me that they cant find the serial number. I say I know it needs to be added to the system. Would it be better to call tech supoort about this?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #26
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

In that Digital Home link earlier in the thread, they have a sticky thread just on how to activate a 3rd party box. And I beleive it was through tech support.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #27
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
ok so I got it. i call shaw and say it needs to be added to the system. they come back and tell me that they cant find the serial number. I say I know it needs to be added to the system. Would it be better to call tech supoort about this?
and this was pretty much what i was expecting to happen. tech support won't be able to help you out here either, at least not directly. no front line staff have the ability to add an unrecognized serial # into the system, it'll need to be sent to the digital services guys downtown who will likely need to contact Motorola to get all the proper information so that it'll work with Shaw's services. your best bet would be to call again and ask for a supervisor, tell them that you need to add a digital box that is not in Shaw's system and hopefully they can escalate it to the right group. but don't expect a quick resolution, it could be awhile before your box is working if it ever does

this is why you never buy a DCT from an unknown source without checking the serial # with Shaw first
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #28
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

i finally got a person that passed me to the right place. I just hadto explain it slower. They are working on it now. He has a gaurantee that it will work, and I know it will. I will update when I get home from work, all you have to give is model number, serial, unit address number and they can add it that way. This waiting is still worth saving $360 to me
Old 03-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #29
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i finally got a person that passed me to the right place. I just hadto explain it slower. They are working on it now. He has a gaurantee that it will work, and I know it will. I will update when I get home from work, all you have to give is model number, serial, unit address number and they can add it that way. This waiting is still worth saving $360 to me
It would be to me too. Thanks for being the CP Guinea Pig on this one.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #30
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

well after it got directed to the right people it was added to the system. i just got off the phone and they activated it on my account. cant wait to get home!!

now i just gotta decide if i wanna get that playoff push centre ice i heard. 49 bucks though
Old 03-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #31
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

just got home, and it is all set up and working. i love it!!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:49 PM   #32
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
just got home, and it is all set up and working. i love it!!
wow, congrats. i've heard some real horror stories about how many hoops you have to jump through to get that done, even with Shaw employees. seems you got lucky though and nabbed a good phone rep. Shaw roulette lands in your favor this time
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #33
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

yea, but the 2nd tuner doesnt seem to be working. it shows the show when i went to watch (recorded while watching other show) recorded show it is a digital static i guess you would call it. Any suggestions? I have contacted the seller too.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #34
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

well i contacted seller he told me how to reset everything. it looks like one of the tuners doesnt work very well with sd. i only watch hd on 2nd tuner.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #35
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

the 2nd tuner doesnt work for analog channels it seems
Old 03-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #36
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the 2nd tuner doesnt work for analog channels it seems
Did you accidentally get a 3416 instead?
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #37
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
Did you accidentally get a 3416 instead?
no its a 6412.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #38
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

actually, I remember when I got my hd pvr, the analog channels didn't work either, until shaw went and and reset it. I have a 6416 i believe.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #39
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

they work on the one tuner but not the 2nd one. it weird