Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #41
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
same with Shaw's PVR, it will resume where you last left off. however once you've finished watching a program and want to rewatch it, it starts back from the beginning
I must have read his question wrong...
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #42
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Or I just worded it like an idiot...

I've read that I can program a skip button on the shaw remote and make the skip however long I want, but I haven't quite figured out how yet.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #43
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

We just signed up for this, they had no desire to take the dish and no install fee, they can however provide a refurbished HD PVR instead of a new one if they have it available.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #44
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I didn't want to start a new thread for SHAW HD Service but I just opened my TV bill and noticed that effective April 1, 2008. My 64 dollar package (digital $55 + $9 HD Plus) is increasing to $67!! WHY!!!
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #45
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread for SHAW HD Service but I just opened my TV bill and noticed that effective April 1, 2008. My 64 dollar package (digital $55 + $9 HD Plus) is increasing to $67!! WHY!!!
why does anything increase in price? inflation. and contrary to popular belief that Shaw is just trying to gouge the customer more, almost all customer price increases are due to higher operating costs
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #46
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Bell recently added a $3 "Digital Service" fee. (Or named something similar.) My guess would be Shaw might just be following suit.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:37 AM   #47
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Bell recently added a $3 "Digital Service" fee. (Or named something similar.) My guess would be Shaw might just be following suit.

Everyone Cable/Satelittle provider is suppose to add that fee or something simlar to that fee in the n ext few months. Everyone can blame the CRTC for giving permission to these companies to charge a fee to watch Digital TV, and anyone in a contract with Exvu can blame the CRTC twice as much for giving Bell a way to charge it to customers under contract as a "fee" instead of a price increase.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #48
Kev
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don't Shaw PVRs only work on one TV at a time? And you need extra receivers to watch and record programming on other TVs? or are they like Bell's where you can run two TV's from the same receiver and watch any recorded shows from either?
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #49
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

You can run it to however many TVs you want. The big thing is Shaw's PVRs don't come with a UHF remote, so to change channels you would need to run into the other room, or use a remote extender.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #50
Kev
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You can run it to however many TVs you want. The big thing is Shaw's PVRs don't come with a UHF remote, so to change channels you would need to run into the other room, or use a remote extender.
So you can watch different programming on other TV's at the same time if you were to get the remote working from another location?
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #51
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it has dual tuner, so I would imagine it wouldn't be hard to do that. You could even bypass the annoyance of running to the other room with a remote control extender dealio.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #52
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not quite the right thread but I have one of the non HD, non PVR shaw boxes. I'm interested in updating to the new PVR/HD box. Will shaw give me a deal for turning in my old one and updating? Or should i just run to futureshop and pick one up there, and chuck the old one?

Nearly $700 just feels like a little to much right now. If i could shave a couple hundred (how much my old box cost) off the top then i would definitely do it.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #53
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^^ when we looked at switching to hd box, shaw was going to give us $55. we just put it on another tv, wasnt worth it to sell back. maybe try to sell it on here.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #54
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or get and HDPVR from Bell for $350
Old 02-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #55
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
OK, have you got a line on them for that much? Because I need one and thought I had missed out on getting one for $500.

Edit- or is that the "new subscriber" price?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 PM   #56
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Can you use bell receivers in an apartment building? Also i don't really like the idea of a contract...unless they give me a deal on my cell phone as well (assuming they are the same company and i'm not an idiot)
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #57
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finner View Post
Can you use bell receivers in an apartment building?
Yes, if your apartment faces south or east, and if they allow dishes on the balcony.

All new users go on a contract. Only way around that is to have an existing sub buy a receiver, activate it, sell it to you, call Bell, deactivate it, hand the phone over to you, you re-activate it under your name.

And they are the same crapy company that handles your cell phone.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #58
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OK, have you got a line on them for that much? Because I need one and thought I had missed out on getting one for $500.

Edit- or is that the "new subscriber" price?
I'll bet it's the "new subscriber" which will be in the form of rebates, such as free movies, free installation, and or free HD for 6 months.
Of course this won't show up on your first bill or probably your second so umpteen phone calls and promises and four months later, they'll deny there was ever such a deal, so make a copy and write down the names and numbers of who you deal with......
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #59
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Just thought it was worth mentioning; I just got a 9242 for $350. Called up Bell (mid-morning so I'd get a CSR in Canada) and told them I was tempted to switch to Shaw because they were offerring me an HDPVR for free. Took a bit of haggling but I got bill credits for $250.

It is worth noting that my monthly programming is $102 per month; so it's working out to 2 free months and a $50 "satisfaction credit."

Once I sell the dish and the switch on eBay I'll be down to a net price of $250. Not too shaby.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #60
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just thought it was worth mentioning; I just got a 9242 for $350. Called up Bell (mid-morning so I'd get a CSR in Canada) and told them I was tempted to switch to Shaw because they were offerring me an HDPVR for free. Took a bit of haggling but I got bill credits for $250.

It is worth noting that my monthly programming is $102 per month; so it's working out to 2 free months and a $50 "satisfaction credit."

Once I sell the dish and the switch on eBay I'll be down to a net price of $250. Not too shaby.
Glas to see that they are just not throwing out customers like they use to....maybe the word was getting around