Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2009, 12:50 AM   #101
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Rock 'n Roll Babylon - This book recounts the seedy side of Rock history and to my dismay being a bus rider, there's a fair bit of nudity in it.

I'm also looking for a recommendation for a general Rock history book if anyone knows of one...
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #102
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently reading:
Cannery Row
by John Steinbeck

On the shelf to read is:
Naked Lunch - William S Borroughs
The Blind Watchmaker - Richard Dawkins
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
SHAM: How the Self-Help Movement Made America Helpless - Steve Salerno
Dune - Frank Herbert
The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #103
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Currently reading:
Cannery Row
by John Steinbeck

On the shelf to read is:
Naked Lunch - William S Borroughs
The Blind Watchmaker - Richard Dawkins
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
SHAM: How the Self-Help Movement Made America Helpless - Steve Salerno
Dune - Frank Herbert
The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
Haha, your shelf is pretty close to mine. I've got Cannery Row and Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck and Burroughs and Hemingway bringing up the rest.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #104
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas. I gotta tell ya, that is some tough going for the most part.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #105
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas. I gotta tell ya, that is some tough going for the most part.
You should save yourself some time and just watch the Simpson's parody.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #106
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesguy_SJ View Post
I'm reading Future Greats and Heartbreaks by Gare Joyce. It's a look inside the lives of NHL scouts and follows a few different junior/amateur players over the cource of a season. I'm really enjoying it so far.
Great book. I recommend it to any self-proclaimed hardcore hockey fan.
If you can look past the handful of errors in it you will really love the insight the book provides.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #107
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
You should save yourself some time and just watch the Simpson's parody.
I've seen it, its not bad.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #108
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just read The Bourne Identity, Jurassic Park, V The Second Generation and Star Wars: Tatooine Ghost. All were good except for V which was only good enough to me because it was based on a show I used to love watching.

I was floored at how different The Bourne Identity was from the movie. I knew it was supposed to be different but there was basically only one scene that was the same between the movie and the book. A few thinks were the same such as Bourne being a spy/assassin and not remembering anything and him meeting a girl named Marie. Just about everything else plays out much differently. Both the movie and the book are both awesome stories. I expect to read the next two Bourne books by Robert Ludlum but haven't decided on the others by Eric Van Lustbader.

Currently I am reading Star Wars: The Joiner King, The first in a trilogy taking place some 25 years or so after Return of The Jedi.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #109
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Great book. I recommend it to any self-proclaimed hardcore hockey fan.
If you can look past the handful of errors in it you will really love the insight the book provides.
I had a hard time reading this book. I don't think I was in the mood to read it when I did and therefore couldn't get past the errors. I didn't finish, but I expect to try again some time. I heard that it gets more interesting after the pre-draft stuff.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #110
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

A Song of Ice and Fire by George Martin. I am just getting into Game of Thrones, about 100 pages, and I can't believe how good his writing is. It really makes Jordan's Wheel of Time, which I am waiting on book 12 for, seem like childrens writing.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #111
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I just read The Bourne Identity, Jurassic Park, V The Second Generation and Star Wars: Tatooine Ghost. All were good except for V which was only good enough to me because it was based on a show I used to love watching.

I was floored at how different The Bourne Identity was from the movie. I knew it was supposed to be different but there was basically only one scene that was the same between the movie and the book. A few thinks were the same such as Bourne being a spy/assassin and not remembering anything and him meeting a girl named Marie. Just about everything else plays out much differently. Both the movie and the book are both awesome stories. I expect to read the next two Bourne books by Robert Ludlum but haven't decided on the others by Eric Van Lustbader.

Currently I am reading Star Wars: The Joiner King, The first in a trilogy taking place some 25 years or so after Return of The Jedi.
Thats actually a really good series that sets up some more interesting stories further down the road.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #112
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Rock 'n Roll Babylon - This book recounts the seedy side of Rock history and to my dismay being a bus rider, there's a fair bit of nudity in it.

I'm also looking for a recommendation for a general Rock history book if anyone knows of one...
If you're interested in punk/postpunk 70-80s underground music Rip It Up and Start Again by Simon Reynolds is fascinating. Also the DVD The Filth and the Fury : A Sex Pistols Film directed by Julien Temple. Excellent overview of that time, narrated by Johnny Rotten himself. It made me wish he could run for President

Last edited by missdpuck; 03-25-2009 at 06:45 PM.
missdpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to missdpuck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #113
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Currently reading I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream (and other shorts) by Harlan Ellison. The guy can envision anything in the sci-fi realm and make it work. But he has real problems injecting heart into most of his characters. Except for the titular story that is, which works almost perfectly.

I'm also reading a ton of Bernard Cornwells' historical fiction. I've read everything he's done in the Alfred/Vikings saga and I'm currently reading his 100 years war trilogy. He's a little hit and miss stylistically, but I'm willing to put up with that for his quality research. Still, he doesn't have anything except accessibility over Colleen McCoullugh in the historical fiction department.
simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #114
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsays View Post
Currently reading I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream (and other shorts) by Harlan Ellison. The guy can envision anything in the sci-fi realm and make it work. But he has real problems injecting heart into most of his characters. Except for the titular story that is, which works almost perfectly.

I'm also reading a ton of Bernard Cornwells' historical fiction. I've read everything he's done in the Alfred/Vikings saga and I'm currently reading his 100 years war trilogy. He's a little hit and miss stylistically, but I'm willing to put up with that for his quality research. Still, he doesn't have anything except accessibility over Colleen McCoullugh in the historical fiction department.
Bernard Cornwell is my number one choice in the easy reading department. Great, fun books.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #115
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats actually a really good series that sets up some more interesting stories further down the road.
They just released the first book of the next 9 point series this month as well.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #116
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey peter12, do you have any recommendations in the historical fiction genre? I'm always looking for something that's quality in this section, and rarely find it.
simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:46 PM   #117
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone read Bukowski, everybody's favorite postal worker?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #118
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsays View Post
Hey peter12, do you have any recommendations in the historical fiction genre? I'm always looking for something that's quality in this section, and rarely find it.
I'd read the Viking series by Bernard Cornwell, if you haven't already. I think a reviewer would some cliche along the lines of "rollicking good yarn" or something similar. Fun reads.

Also, Julian by Gore Vidal if you are into something a bit heavier.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #119
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdpuck View Post
Anyone read Bukowski, everybody's favorite postal worker?
I've basically read everything Bukowski published (also posthumously). He's one of my favourite authors.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #120
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you seen Born Into This, a really cool documentary about him? I had no idea how long he actually worked at the PO...far longer than he had to! He's one of my heroes, as is that former failure as a Postmaster, William Faulkner.