Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #81
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

My first novel in many, many years.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #82
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried to read The Bourne Identity, but I couldn't do it.

I am reading The Yankee Years by Joe Torre right now. The problem is I spend too much time on HF to read as much as I'd like.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #83
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
I just bought this yesterday, along with The Road and The Forever War. I'm not sure which one I should read first. I've heard good things about each one.
I'd go with A Confederacy of Dunces.

Currently reading Godel, Escher, Bach. It's heavy in parts and quite a brick, but an interesting read nonetheless.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #84
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm reading Future Greats and Heartbreaks by Gare Joyce. It's a look inside the lives of NHL scouts and follows a few different junior/amateur players over the cource of a season. I'm really enjoying it so far.
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #85
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm trying to up my quality... sooooo... April 2009 edition of the Atlantic Monthly, this week's edition of The Economist, and The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #86
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Just finished "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe". Looking for something else now. I suppose the next book would be logical.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #87
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I also reading the Yankee Years, the Joe Torre book. So far, so good. For some reason, I really get into the baseball books that take the reader inside the game, the ins and outs of clubhouses, off-days, training, home life, etc.
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #88
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I never read on my own time, but for school I'm readiing The Great Gatsby. F. Scott Fitzgerald was a great writer, most of his novels are heavily based on his own life. I think it's a good book but I've only read maybe 5 decent books in my life.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #89
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Last Lecture

The story and background behind the lecture given last year by Randy Rausch, a prof at Carnegie Mellon University, who was dying of pancreatic cancer.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #90
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
The Last Lecture

The story and background behind the lecture given last year by Randy Rausch, a prof at Carnegie Mellon University, who was dying of pancreatic cancer.
If you need to do a book report there is a movie version. NVM. Not the same thing...
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #91
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesguy_SJ View Post
I'm reading Future Greats and Heartbreaks by Gare Joyce. It's a look inside the lives of NHL scouts and follows a few different junior/amateur players over the cource of a season. I'm really enjoying it so far.
I keep meaning to pick that up. When the Lights Went Out was a great read of his on the Punch-up in Piestany.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #92
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesguy_SJ View Post
I've read some of it while I was in Indigo but I dislike Joyce due to his work as a columnist at the Ottawa Citizen.

I've only read easy novels lately such as Outliers, Mafiaboy, and I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell, and those were only because I needed something to do while flying.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #93
PYroMaNiaC
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Scott Lynch's Red Seas Under Red Skies, but don't read it until you've read The Lies of Locke Lamora. Astoundingly intricate masterpieces of plot. Truly.

And now I'm waiting impatiently for the sequel to The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss.

I've stumbled across a surpisingly number of books lately that I'll hang on to for a reread, rather than toss them in the pile for the second hand store. These three were the best of the best for me.

GTF, I've picked up Outliers a couple of times, then put it back because the stack going to the till was just too big. Should it go back into the stack on my next visit?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #94
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYroMaNiaC View Post
GTF, I've picked up Outliers a couple of times, then put it back because the stack going to the till was just too big. Should it go back into the stack on my next visit?
Just pick it up online. Books are a lot cheaper online since there's actual competition instead of the Chapters/Indigo/Coles/Smiths etc monopoly. I found it interesting and reading about the issue of plane crashes at Korean Air while I was flying was actually kind of reassuring.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #95
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

2666 is my living room book - going very slowly.

Lullaby is in my bedroom for nighttime reading.

On deck are:
The Pluto Files;
The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher;
Outliers; and
Anathem.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #96
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

My first novel in many, many years.
As I've said before, I found that novel quite a slog to get through.

Tough task for your first novel in a long time.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #97
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Red Star Rogue by Kenneth Sewell

Its actually a very intesting piece of detective work.

It covers the loss of K-129 a Golf II class ballistic missile submarine 300 miles off of Hawaii.

The author tries to prove that the Submarine was lost in the act of launching a nuclear missile at Hawaii as part of a plot by Yuri Antropov the head of the KGM and Mihkail Suslov the Communist party theologist (for want of the better word) to start a nuclear war between Russia's two biggest enemies China and the U.S.

The book also looks at Project Jennifer which was the recovery of the Sub from the bottom of the ocean by the infamous Glomar Explorer the boat built by Howard Hughes for the CIA.

The book also covers Nixon's operation Madman where he wanted the Russians to believe that he was an unstable president.

Its decently written, frightening in its context and while I'm still not sure it proves that there was a rogue sub out there capable of starting a global nuclear war, its certainly not out of the realm of possiblities in 1968.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #98
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

just finished I Love You Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle who is a writer for the Simpsons. The book was funny, but now it looks like its being made into yet another outrageously bad teen comedy flick. They cast Hayden Hanettiere in the lead role which i can live with, but the rest of the casting looks horrendous not that you're expecting gold from a teen sex comedy movie anyway.
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #99
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozwimp View Post
just finished I Love You Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle who is a writer for the Simpsons. The book was funny, but now it looks like its being made into yet another outrageously bad teen comedy flick. They cast Hayden Hanettiere in the lead role which i can live with, but the rest of the casting looks horrendous not that you're expecting gold from a teen sex comedy movie anyway.
I read that recently. It totally reads like a movie, so that doesn't surprise me at all. It was OK.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #100
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Currently reading Waste Lands by Stephen King, the third book in the Dark Tower series, although I should be finished it tonight. Just bought the whole set again. I had them years ago, but they got destroyed when our basement flooded, and only got to read the first three books. Looking forward to finishing them this time around.

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote