Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2023, 12:24 PM   #241
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone want to get freaked out?

I was doing some research on Cordyceps and found this National Geographic video. Good thing it only affects insects.... for now.

dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 12:28 PM   #242
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Anyone want to get freaked out?

I was doing some research on Cordyceps and found this National Geographic video. Good thing it only affects insects.... for now.

a similar segment actually inspired the idea for the infection in the game. I think it was this one from the BBC:

just extremely terrifying stuff.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:42 PM   #243
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bella did well to learn the American accent in a short amount of time, but I love how on a couple of lines it's just unmitigated British with barely a hint of American.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 06:16 PM   #244
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty cool perspective regarding the introduction scene in Jakarta. Didn't realize the actress and actor were so accomplished, the show not kidding around:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thelastofus...logue_from_an/

Don’t even get me started on the restaurant where Ibu Ratna, the RATU herself Christine Hakim, was eating in. People wearing batik? People smoking on the tables? Plastic on the tables so people don’t spill food on the actual table? The plastic bendable chairs that I fell off when I was 11 because I went all the way back to test its bend-ability and actually bent it the #### back and I fell backwards? The menu with LEMPER AYAM!!!! The condiment bottle with probably kecap manis or saos tomat pepaya bosok that would go so well with meatball bakso soup (which the menu doesn’t seem to have, sadly)!!!!!!!

Thank you for not making just another pre-pandemic prologue and actually taking the time to perfect it and making it ####ing terrifying. Most importantly, despite the brief 8 minutes, I thank you for the care that was given in representing Jakarta in a way that made my parents message my aunties and uncles and family friends about the show, which is 1. something that they rarely do and 2. it just shows how excited they were in seeing our country looking like our country on screen.

https://coconuts.co/jakarta/news/ind...ter-of-health/

Indonesia well-guarded against hypothetical ‘The Last of Us’ cordyceps outbreak: Minister of Health
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 08:47 PM   #245
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1617545005907968004
Old 01-24-2023, 08:48 PM   #246
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
And they didn’t even have to do any augmentations to Edmonton around it.

Cleaned it up a bit
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:52 PM   #247
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
This was covered in an interview with the show runners. The only reason the infected attack people is to subdue them to spread the fungus. Tess was already infected and she was losing control of her body, so there was no reason for the zombie dude to attack her. Transferring the tendrils through the "kiss" was simply the most efficient way to speed up the process and connect a new body to the network

That’s how I took it…she was already almost one of them. It was like she couldn’t resist the kiss, while fighting to light the fire. Very dramatic
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:01 PM   #248
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think she was a) losing control of her motor functions and b) trying to focus what control she had left on lighting the fire. I don't think it was a matter of not being able to resist, she was clearly terrified and overcoming it.

The issue for me is that I cannot imagine that being an evolved behaviour. Just didn't seem to fit the way the infected generally behave.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:09 PM   #249
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who has owned a few Zippos in my time I was really disappointed in the flagrant flouting of the reality of the situation in that scene.

If you're trying to light it and all you're getting is sparks off the flint, its empty. Its over. Its not going to light until you re-fill it regardless of how many times you spark it.

Its fuel and ignition, not magic. If you dont have both your pooch is screwed.

1/10. Would not ignite. I'm being 1000% sarcastic, I understand dramatic effect.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 10:21 PM   #250
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
As someone who has owned a few Zippos in my time I was really disappointed in the flagrant flouting of the reality of the situation in that scene.

If you're trying to light it and all you're getting is sparks off the flint, its empty. Its over. Its not going to light until you re-fill it regardless of how many times you spark it.

Its fuel and ignition, not magic. If you dont have both your pooch is screwed.

1/10. Would not ignite. I'm being 1000% sarcastic, I understand dramatic effect.
She was also standing in a giant pool of fuel. I have no idea why she didn't just hold the spark close to the fuel on the ground.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 10:49 PM   #251
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
She was also standing in a giant pool of fuel. I have no idea why she didn't just hold the spark close to the fuel on the ground.
I assumed because it was probably Diesel and I dont think you can ignite that with just a lighter.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:12 PM   #252
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who has never played the game and has now watched the first two episodes, first thing that popped into my head was - why not create a toxic mist that kills all living organisms (or at least those without protective breathing apparatuses)? Would get into every nook and cranny, which seems necessary for a virus like this.

SHUT UP MUTA, JUST WATCH THE SHOW
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:41 PM   #253
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bring on apocalyptic Ron Swanson
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:42 AM   #254
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
See, that video game comment is potentially a spoiler. That could be brought up in a future episode.
Is it a spoiler when that's exactly how the cordyceps fungus operates in real life?

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...the-brain/amp/

“Its brain is still in the driver’s seat, but the fungus has the wheel.”
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:43 AM   #255
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It looked like diesel which also wouldn't ignite with a flame................

That's why we need some cordyceps for our brains since we think too much
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:01 AM   #256
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Driving the vehicle can become exhausting. I for one welcome the cordyceps.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:50 AM   #257
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
As someone who has never played the game and has now watched the first two episodes, first thing that popped into my head was - why not create a toxic mist that kills all living organisms (or at least those without protective breathing apparatuses)? Would get into every nook and cranny, which seems necessary for a virus like this.

SHUT UP MUTA, JUST WATCH THE SHOW
If I recall, in game the organism transmits by spores (just like in real life), but on TV, they didn't want the actors to be wearing gas masks all the time and hiding their faces. Still pretty cool they found a way in the TV series that was grounded in science with the tendrils/fungal network
Old 01-25-2023, 07:55 AM   #258
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I think she was a) losing control of her motor functions and b) trying to focus what control she had left on lighting the fire. I don't think it was a matter of not being able to resist, she was clearly terrified and overcoming it.

The issue for me is that I cannot imagine that being an evolved behaviour. Just didn't seem to fit the way the infected generally behave.
If you are tying this back to the game, you may as well forget it. The infected behave how we've seen in episode 1 and 2, that's all the reference you have, since they have changed it. So what from episode 1 and 2 go against this behaviour?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:05 AM   #259
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think if you've played the game and are watching the show there are some obvious deviations, as well as a bit of a different order in the way this is being laid out (including expanded back story). This makes it safe to say that any video game talk could potentially spoil something coming down the road (pun intended). Probably best to just leave all game talk out of the thread and focus it purely on the content of the show.

Obviously this has been a battle in previous book/show threads, and I am far from innocent in this area, but there is a lot of positivity in here and excitement around the landscape comparisons to Calgary and just how well the show is overall. This is a rare thing in CPuck threads these days, lets not ruin it for each other.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:07 AM   #260
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you are tying this back to the game, you may as well forget it. The infected behave how we've seen in episode 1 and 2, that's all the reference you have, since they have changed it. So what from episode 1 and 2 go against this behaviour?
The extremely violent, almost desperate way they attack - which makes sense. I'm not tying anything to the game, I'm saying in terms of evolutionary biology and what would be the efficient evolved behaviour. It doesn't matter what the target host does or if it fights back, if the goal is to spread the infection, they should be going all out, all the time as soon as they see a target. Immediate swarm. That would be the best way to ensure spread - in fact multiple infected should trying to bite her immediately. So the explanation doesn't really work for me. But it's a minor gripe.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote