Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #381
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Have you contacted their support to see what they say about rated angles? No idea about Hisense, but some tech companies have really helpful online support. Or possibly even in the f'n manual?
Nothing in the manual. But calling makes sense. Don't think I've ever called a television manufacturer before...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:35 PM   #382
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call? What is this, 2005? they have a form on their website. Like their engineer nerds actually want to talk to someone.

https://www.hisense-canada.com/en/support/contact/
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:52 PM   #383
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Everything I've been reading about the new Samsungs says there are way better TVs for the price than what Samsung is pumping out, particularly in their lower-end offerings.

I'd go with a TCL 6-series before a Samsung Q60 or Q70.

I bought this. So if it sucks, I absolve myself of any responsibility

You did fix my computer so there is a level of trust haha.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #384
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I bought this. So if it sucks, I absolve myself of any responsibility

You did fix my computer so there is a level of trust haha.

I'm trying to convince my dad to get one too. We got the MIL one of the 50" TCL 50S435 (which is the 4-series) and it has been a pretty fantastic upgrade for her from her old 32" Sony... but anything would be.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:53 PM   #385
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

For anyone that wants a bit of an upgrade over TCL or Hisense I would highly recommend the Sony X900H series for a good midrange TV. Picture quality is only slightly better, but it has a much faster processor (great for 4K upscaling), better sound, and supports HDMI 2.1 for PS5 and Series X gamers. Supposed to be getting VRR (variable refresh rate) sometime soon as well in a future firmware update
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:23 PM   #386
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
For anyone that wants a bit of an upgrade over TCL or Hisense I would highly recommend the Sony X900H series for a good midrange TV. Picture quality is only slightly better, but it has a much faster processor (great for 4K upscaling), better sound, and supports HDMI 2.1 for PS5 and Series X gamers. Supposed to be getting VRR (variable refresh rate) sometime soon as well in a future firmware update
Sony 900H is way better than the TCL 6 series (I bought the 6 series), but I think you're paying significantly. When I was shopping you were basically comparing a 75" TCL 6 series to a 65" Sony X900H. It wasn't even close in price.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:35 PM   #387
jayswin

Exp:

Tcl 6 series 75" - $1800 https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...35-ca/14671251

TCL 6 series 65" - $1300 https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...35-ca/14671251

Sony X900H 75" $2500 on sale - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...x900h/14547436
Old 03-27-2021, 10:09 PM   #388
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Ya if you're going up to 75" then the Sony is much more expensive, but if you only need 65" then it's only a couple hundred more than the TCL

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...pd_gw_unk&th=1
Old 03-27-2021, 11:06 PM   #389
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, I put quite a bit of stock in RTINGS reviews given the sheer volume of sets they look at every year and perform the same detailed tests on.

Sony X900H - 8.1 Overall
TCL 6 Series - 7.9 Overall
Vizio Quantum X 2020 - 8.3 Overall
Hisense Q9G/H9G - 8.4 Overall

I mean none of them suck, but it seems pretty clear that if the X900H is the most expensive it's not what you should buy.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 11:13 PM   #390
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I just got hives thinking of people who dry wall anchor their 3K TV to the wall.
Umm there are no 3k TVs, only 4k...

I got a 65' Hisense from Costco a few months back. $650 including a 5 year warranty. I think you can get the 70' for that price now.

Great TV and you can't beat that price.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:19 AM   #391
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I dunno, I put quite a bit of stock in RTINGS reviews given the sheer volume of sets they look at every year and perform the same detailed tests on.

Sony X900H - 8.1 Overall
TCL 6 Series - 7.9 Overall
Vizio Quantum X 2020 - 8.3 Overall
Hisense Q9G/H9G - 8.4 Overall

I mean none of them suck, but it seems pretty clear that if the X900H is the most expensive it's not what you should buy.
I did a lot of reading through rtings.com and I have both an X900H and a Q8G (one step down from the Q9G). The Q9G uses the same processor as the Q8G, and it's fairly weak. There is noticeable lag when browsing through the Android TV interface and it only does an ok job of 4K upscaling. It also doesn't support HDMI 2.1. The X900H on the other hand has one of the best CPU's you can get for an LCD, Android is way smoother and 4K upscaling is fantastic. You can even game on it with near equivalent performance to the Shield TV for Android games and emulators, and as noted before it does support HDMI 2.1. Rtings notes that the Q9G has a bit better picture, but for only $100 more (65") I'll take the Sony for the better complete set

I won't comment on the Vizio as I've never used one and you can't buy them in Canada
Old 03-28-2021, 12:25 AM   #392
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

HDMI 2.1 is a reasonable point, but for $100 you could just buy an NVIDIA Shield or a Fire TV Cube if you're worried about the processor speed, no?
Old 03-28-2021, 10:59 AM   #393
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
HDMI 2.1 is a reasonable point, but for $100 you could just buy an NVIDIA Shield or a Fire TV Cube if you're worried about the processor speed, no?
A shield will set you back at least $200, the Fire TV Cube is $120, and the Fire OS interface is quite lacking compared to Android TV. The sound is also a big upgrade, on my Q8G it's bad, but the X900H has some of the best built-in sound I've heard from a TV. I'm still planning on getting a good soundbar eventually, but for those looking to keep things simple the X900H is the best bang for your buck IMO
Old 03-28-2021, 11:15 AM   #394
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean I got my Shield for $100 bucks for my den TV, and I actually like the Fire TV and have sticks or cubes on everything else, but that's personal preference. My point is that for most use cases, people who are buying good TVs are not going to be using the on-board OS for the TV. They'll have something else plugged into it, whether it's an Alexa or a Roku or a Shield or something else, so the processor downside doesn't matter in practice.

That's even more true for the TV speakers. It should go without saying at this point, but no one should be using the TV speakers. It's especially absurd if you're shelling out for a TV that's actually good and then listening to garbage audio. I almost don't care what you buy for a soundbar, it'll be better than the TV speakers, but the new version of the VIZIO SB3651ns-H6 is $300 off Amazon, and it's roughly a thousand times better than the speakers on the X900H. The fact that it might be a million times better than the Hisense speakers is irrelevant. Don't settle for TV speakers. Just don't.

All of that is to say that at the end of the day, my view is that what you should be after from your TV is picture quality, full stop. More or less everything else can be dealt with externally, and things like on-board UI are going to be irrelevant shortly anyway, but none of those things can make your TV present you with a better picture.* Just get the one that can do the best job of being a TV - that is to say, displaying content. Where the content comes from, and what the content sounds like, are matters to be dealt with by other pieces of technology. Those things should not be seen as a reason to compromise about your TV's ability to be a TV.

*Ok, in fairness, the Shield's upscaling is really good so that does affect picture, but even there its potential is only as great as your TV's inherent capabilities.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #395
jayswin

Exp:

Agreed on the soundbar. If you are paying $800-$2000 for a TV there is no reason to even take a second look at what the TV audio sounds like, it's irrelevant. Like Corsi said they range from horrendous, to barely passable.

Barely passable is not even in the universe of acceptability when you're investing in a mid range TV.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2021, 03:51 PM   #396
BMStrikesAgain
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

sorry if this is all covered but looking for a new TV, dont want to go through all the previous pages. Looking for something 47-55 inches, netflix, gaming (new xbox and ps5) and sports mostly. 4K, smart with roku as well. Anything in the 800-1000 dollar range??
BMStrikesAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:01 PM   #397
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMStrikesAgain View Post
sorry if this is all covered but looking for a new TV, dont want to go through all the previous pages. Looking for something 47-55 inches, netflix, gaming (new xbox and ps5) and sports mostly. 4K, smart with roku as well. Anything in the 800-1000 dollar range??
I'll refrain from the long spiel about how you're buying a TV that's too small for what you seem to be saying you'll be using it for...

The sets we've just been talking about - the Q9G, the TCL 6 Series and the X900H are all roughly in that range for the 55" (the X900H is 1098 for an open box at Visions or 969 at TVOutlet, Q9G is 998 on sale at Visions for a non-open-box or 898 for an open box, TCL is 899 on Amazon with one-day delivery through Prime).

You could alternatively step up a bit in price and get an open box 55" CX OLED off TVOutlet for 1650 or so, if you want to go cheaper, the 50" H8G is 648 at Visions.

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 03-28-2021 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:09 PM   #398
jayswin

Exp:

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about research on a 47 - 55". Just grab whatever is on sale. You need to be at 65" to actually notice much difference in TV's when it comes to 4k.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2021, 04:17 PM   #399
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about research on a 47 - 55". Just grab whatever is on sale. You need to be at 65" to actually notice much difference in TV's when it comes to 4k.
I mean, you can definitely tell an obvious difference in picture quality between a 55" Q6 and a 55" Q9G and a 55" CX OLED, regardless of whether the content you're watching is 4k or 1080p. So it does matter, for sure... It's just a question of whether its worth paying a bunch of extra money for the incremental benefit at those smaller sizes. For me, I'd agree with you that it's not. If someone had a gun to my head and told me I had to buy a 55" to play video games on, I'd probably just get the TCL6 off Amazon with the free delivery and call it a day.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:35 PM   #400
BMStrikesAgain
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I'll refrain from the long spiel about how you're buying a TV that's too small for what you seem to be saying you'll be using it for...
i'll refrain from a long spiel but i'll be as obnoxious as possible instead..

lol that was so annoying haha thanks for the help though bud.
BMStrikesAgain is offline   Reply With Quote